Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-12-2015, 09:04 PM   #1
Mb6000

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
Hot starting issues

Has anyone figured out why our cars don't start or start hard when hot. Car will start fine when cold. Tried searching and never found out what the issue really is. Anyone have the answer. Heard to replace the battery, starter, or crank sensor.
'11 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3 M6| Black on Black| BMR Strut Brace| P&P Throttle Body| Cold Air Inductions Black CAI| 2" TSP LT Headers| Cat-Back Exhaust| Hurst Line Lock| Night Fury Cam| Brian Tooley Valvetrain| Melling 10296| C5R chain| Comp Cam rocker kit| 3.91 1LE Gear Kit| MPD1 Z Force Hood| BMR Lowering Springs| 480hp/454tq

Last edited by Mb6000; 03-13-2015 at 07:56 AM.
Mb6000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 11:41 PM   #2
revived
Vrrrm.

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
explain... the worst I have encountered and isnt often is I shut the car off after a drive and immediattly turned it and the car took longer to fire up. (Starter spun a lot longer). Again doesn't happen that often to me so im just asking what your situation has been like?

revived is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 11:44 PM   #3
Jsafe17

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS 6spd LS3
Hmmmm.. not mine, sry not much help.. 2" header to close to starter or?
Jsafe17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 06:00 AM   #4
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Have not had any hard starting issues.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 08:04 AM   #5
Mb6000

After driving the car and go to start it again, the car won't start up always on the first try. It will just crank. The second time I try, it fires right up. I've read it could be the starter is heat soaked. If i let the car cool down a while, it will start fine. There is a bunch of posts about this, but never found the correct fix.
'11 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3 M6| Black on Black| BMR Strut Brace| P&P Throttle Body| Cold Air Inductions Black CAI| 2" TSP LT Headers| Cat-Back Exhaust| Hurst Line Lock| Night Fury Cam| Brian Tooley Valvetrain| Melling 10296| C5R chain| Comp Cam rocker kit| 3.91 1LE Gear Kit| MPD1 Z Force Hood| BMR Lowering Springs| 480hp/454tq
Old 03-13-2015, 08:41 AM   #6
BubbaSS
WHAT RED LIGHT?!

Drives: 2011 Black Camaro 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mb6000 View Post
After driving the car and go to start it again, the car won't start up always on the first try. It will just crank. The second time I try, it fires right up. I've read it could be the starter is heat soaked. If i let the car cool down a while, it will start fine. There is a bunch of posts about this, but never found the correct fix.
The AC Delco starter gets heat soaked with headers. I've replaced it and even added heat shield, but after a while it has the issue again. Might want to look into other brands if you replace. I definitely will.
2011 2SS/RS M6 BLACK - VARARAM NO TUNE INTAKE, MODDED AND PORTED TB, PORTED INTAKE MANIFOLD, VITESSE THROTTLE CONTROLLER, DOUG THORLEY LT'S, CATLESS, X-PIPE, 25" STAINLESS WORKS RETRO CHAMBERED MUFFLERS, CUSTOM 2.5" MANDREL BENT EXHAUST, RICHMOND 4.10 GEARS, CUSTOM CAM (231/242 @ 114LSA), MUSTANG DYNO TUNED BY TORQ, 20% CERAMIC TINTS, EIBACH PROKIT SPRINGS 1" DROP, HAWK PERFORMANCE CERAMIC BRAKES, NITTO INVO TIRES, HYDROCARBON TAIL LIGHT AND FOG LIGHT BEZELS BY EMBLEMPROS, METRA DASH KIT, JVC KW-AV71BT, PHOENIX GOLD iAMP GM1, PASSPORT QI45 - 450 RWHP 415 RWTQ
BubbaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 08:50 AM   #7
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mb6000 View Post
Has anyone figured out why our cars don't start or start hard when hot. Car will start fine when cold. Tried searching and never found out what the issue really is. Anyone have the answer. Heard to replace the battery, starter, or crank sensor.
If your modded like that... you need a modded starter.

Call Powermaster and talk to their tech dept. They have top notch stuff and will steer you to the right one.

You're also fighting the drop off from the really long battery cables. Makes the need for a really good battery and starter that much more.

I went through all kinds of different starters on my BBC drag car. When I finally went to a Powermaster Ultra... all problems stopped. Doesn't even need a heat shield. There are a few other top quality brands too.

If you have access to your tune also, make sure the cranking timing isn't too advanced.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 08:50 AM   #8
hazy

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
yep. I get this problem. Struggles to start, then when it does fire up, throws the TC/ST lights, tach doesn't work, and get the 'Service Stabilitrac' warning.

I've looked everywhere, and decided that it's the starter getting too hot. I am considering having my headers ceramic coated, but in order to avoid the down time for that, I'm going to get either a new hood, or some hex vents to [hopefully] reduce engine bay temps.

If that doesn't help (and I'll know sometime this summer, bc it gets pretty warm here) I'll figure out the best starter for a replacement.
hazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 09:49 AM   #9
BubbaSS
WHAT RED LIGHT?!

Drives: 2011 Black Camaro 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell James View Post
If your modded like that... you need a modded starter.

Call Powermaster and talk to their tech dept. They have top notch stuff and will steer you to the right one.

You're also fighting the drop off from the really long battery cables. Makes the need for a really good battery and starter that much more.

I went through all kinds of different starters on my BBC drag car. When I finally went to a Powermaster Ultra... all problems stopped. Doesn't even need a heat shield. There are a few other top quality brands too.

If you have access to your tune also, make sure the cranking timing isn't too advanced.
Great info! I'm gonna look those up now

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazy View Post
yep. I get this problem. Struggles to start, then when it does fire up, throws the TC/ST lights, tach doesn't work, and get the 'Service Stabilitrac' warning.

I've looked everywhere, and decided that it's the starter getting too hot. I am considering having my headers ceramic coated, but in order to avoid the down time for that, I'm going to get either a new hood, or some hex vents to [hopefully] reduce engine bay temps.

If that doesn't help (and I'll know sometime this summer, bc it gets pretty warm here) I'll figure out the best starter for a replacement.
My headers are ceramic coated, but your issue is a bit different, because I don't receive the warnings
2011 2SS/RS M6 BLACK - VARARAM NO TUNE INTAKE, MODDED AND PORTED TB, PORTED INTAKE MANIFOLD, VITESSE THROTTLE CONTROLLER, DOUG THORLEY LT'S, CATLESS, X-PIPE, 25" STAINLESS WORKS RETRO CHAMBERED MUFFLERS, CUSTOM 2.5" MANDREL BENT EXHAUST, RICHMOND 4.10 GEARS, CUSTOM CAM (231/242 @ 114LSA), MUSTANG DYNO TUNED BY TORQ, 20% CERAMIC TINTS, EIBACH PROKIT SPRINGS 1" DROP, HAWK PERFORMANCE CERAMIC BRAKES, NITTO INVO TIRES, HYDROCARBON TAIL LIGHT AND FOG LIGHT BEZELS BY EMBLEMPROS, METRA DASH KIT, JVC KW-AV71BT, PHOENIX GOLD iAMP GM1, PASSPORT QI45 - 450 RWHP 415 RWTQ
BubbaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 10:09 AM   #10
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
Subscribed!

Mine has shorty headers and is a L99, would the same issue be true for mine? When I'm running and the vehicle gets hot this happens. However, mine also idles rough after warning up especially in warm weather. Is this related?
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 10:20 AM   #11
Mb6000

Just called powermaster and asked which starter for my car. He said the 9509xs. Found them on eBay for $206 and free shipping. Going to order one right now. The guy said the solenoid is encapsuled so there shouldn't be any heat soak issues. Will update after I install it and see if that takes care of the problem. Thanx Russel James.

Last edited by Mb6000; 03-13-2015 at 10:40 AM.
Old 03-13-2015, 11:06 AM   #12
spadz93
BUMBL Z

Drives: 2015 ZL1
subscribed...
Current: 2015 ZL1 M6, Rotofab Intake, LS3 throttle body, 2.55 Upper/9.17 Lower w/ Idler Relocation, DMS Reinforced Brick, ID1050X, 1 7/8" Headers, ProSpeed HX/Reservoir, DSX Aux Pump/Flex Fuel Sensor, E85, McLeod RXT, BMR 1" Drop, Tuned by Pat G
Past: 2010 2SS, some bolt ons, 415rwhp/400rwtq

spadz93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 05:47 PM   #13
MightymouseSS

Drives: 2011 LS3
Might wanna check your cam position sensor too. Mine was hard to start on occasion and found the cam sensor harness rubbing against the block and shorting out my sensor intermittently.
SLP loudmouth 2
Nightfury Cam
Mike Norris CC
Tuned by Southwest Speed
MightymouseSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 12:08 PM   #14
MS7

Drives: 2011 camaro LS3 supercharger
i was facing same issue,,, fix it be new starter

starter or battery or injector leak