Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-25-2009, 09:21 AM   #15
StoutFiles

Drives: Black/Black 2SS/RS
Quote:
I have no problem with a 17 year old driving a nice car, but seriously take my advice here and learn from others mistakes...don't lease a freaking car. Either buy what you can afford now and save the money or just go ahead and buy the car you want. Even if you wait 1 year you will have 4338 with your deposit...that means you will have that much to put down on a used or new car a year from now that you will own.
Considering he already made his choice, it's just mean to ridicule him for it. I'm sure he'll be happy with his car.
StoutFiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 09:26 AM   #16
diddiyo

Drives: .
very good choice, enjoy!
diddiyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 09:39 AM   #17
Miamimatt

Drives: 2 LT RS
Send a message via Yahoo to Miamimatt
When i was 19 i had the chance to go for a used camaro. The pragmatic side of me and being in college. i went with a new truck. We all make those hard decisions, but now im older and its time for my camaro. good luck on your car and its nice. just dont forget once your older to get your camaro.
Miamimatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 10:01 AM   #18
GOLDDOG

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS & 08 JSB Corvette
Nice car, I am sure you'll get plenty of looks from the 30 to 40 crowd.
GOLDDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 10:12 AM   #19
Hesh

Drives: 2010 IOM Camaro Vin 34334
I can honestly say as a VW owner....DONT DO IT!!!. There cars are complete crap. Myself and 3 other people I work with own them. They have been nothing but headaches for all of us. Two of us own the TDI Beetle, one TDI Jetta, and one Passat and have been matience nightmares. The money I have saved for fuel has been overwritten by the cost of repairs.
Hesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 10:18 AM   #20
1_2Many

Drives: 2008 Suzuki SX4
VW's do have a serious quality control issue. I have nothing but bad experience with them. That interiour looks cool now, but it will be boring in a year from now....so will the styling. Looks like a cross between a Volvo C40 and an E class Mercedes.
Old 02-25-2009, 10:30 AM   #21
diddiyo

Drives: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLDDOG View Post
Nice car, I am sure you'll get plenty of looks from the 30 to 40 crowd.
which is why a 20 something female friend of mine dragged me over to a CC she saw in the parking lot the other day.

diddiyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 11:03 AM   #22
cfifan
Realtor

Drives: Volkswagen Beetle
Ive got a new shape 03 Beetle, and build quality may have been there in the past, but i have to say i would never buy another VW. Its been riddled with problems and the local dealers here in Orlando have been dreadful until David Maus took over one of the dealerships. Im from the UK and swore i would never buy an American car because they look like boxes, but now i have to say American cars are giving European and Far Eastern cars a run for their money now. I am in love with the Camaro and cant wait to sit in it at the dealer, test drive it and trade in the bug for one.

I would have to agree with the other posters about the whole lease situation. You are basically going to be paying a monthly payment for 3 years for a car you are never going to own. You are restricted on how many miles you can drive and it is just a waste of time. Your 17, have fun with a cheaper car for $1500. Even in December that is less than you would have spent on lease payments and the down payment, then look at stepping up from there. Your still young. Im from the UK and have lived here for some 7 years now. I didnt buy my own nice car until i was 22 and i could afford the payments. I bought a BMW 3 series pre owned from the dealer 1 year old. I had financing over 3 years, great payment rates.

The Camaro looks like a great car and i think you would be mad to entertain a lease which as a young person, and we have all been there, you will regret, end up getting the car you really want and loosing alot more at the end of the day.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do.
cfifan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 11:36 AM   #23
AJC

Drives: coupe
German Engineering get ready to spend a lot of time in the VW shop. You will get to know the mechanic real well. VW's have the worst reliability ratings in the industry. I hope you have a back up car.
AJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 11:37 AM   #24
GatorBlue371

Drives: vrooooom vrooooom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesh View Post
I can honestly say as a VW owner....DONT DO IT!!!. There cars are complete crap. Myself and 3 other people I work with own them. They have been nothing but headaches for all of us. Two of us own the TDI Beetle, one TDI Jetta, and one Passat and have been matience nightmares. The money I have saved for fuel has been overwritten by the cost of repairs.
I read somewhere VW has the worst 'quality and maintenance" of any brand.
"With a light touch on the brakes, run the revs up a bit. Slip off the brake and bury the throttle. There's a light chirp as tires scratch for bite. Then comes a sub-5.0-second sled ride to 60 mph. A tick over 13.0 sec. and you're through the quarter-mile. It's a rush, of course, but not overly dramatic. Try the same thing with this pair's predecessors of 1970 or so and you'll find yourself in a bit of a wrestling match. Ain't progress wonderful? Maybe yes, and maybe sometimes it's fun to wrestle."
GatorBlue371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 11:50 AM   #25
Visual_Perfection

Drives: '02 Bonneville SLE
I also don't understand the whole leasing thing.. go buy yourself a 12k used car... which you can get a very nice car that was actually 30k new for that, and it is already depriciated a good amount, then when you want a camaro, sell that 12k car for the 10k it is worth at that time..and you only "lost" 2k on the car rather than 10-20k

Buying used seems like a no brainer to me. I am 23 and have had 10 cars, as I like to get a different car every year or so and sometimes have had 2 at a time, I buy them used and mostly depreciated, drive them for a year, and re-sell them for the SAME I bought them for. The biggest loss in price I have sold a car for after owning it for almost 2 years was $2k (which doean't include maintenance costs and things I did to the car while owning it obviously)

I don't know.. just seems like if I am going to be spending 15k on a car, I want it to be MINE, and know that I can get a lot of that money I originally spent back when I sell it... with a lease you get neither... I see it this way, lets say I have lost $1k on the price I sold every car I have owned (which isn't true as I have sold them for more in many cases) that would be $10k that I could never get back, but I got to OWN 10 different vehicles.. well if you lease a car and have 10k-20k you will never get back on just ONE car that you did not OWN.. I think I know which route I am going to continue to take, My advice would be to look around for good deals on perfect condition low mileage used cars..that's what I do, then I keep it in perfect condition, or better the condition even.. it is possible.. and sell it for the slightly less or if you are lucky the same as what you paid in a year or so, and get another car to enjoy all over again!

Take for example.. my 2006 TB.. the window sticker on it says $33k in 2006.. I bought in 2008 for less than half of that, I got an amazing deal as I let the original owner take the hit on depreciation, or in your case the loss on a lease.. but I had to search for a month or two to find it... Which is why I am waiting a year or two until I can pick up a used Camaro..
Visual_Perfection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 11:56 AM   #26
Hooy
Will Drive For Food

Drives: Acura TL
Ah.. the CC is a nice car. I hope it is worth it when a Camaro drives by!

I respect your opinion, though, as the CC is a much more practical car than the Camaro.
Hooy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 12:01 PM   #27
dbotsfordtat

Drives: 2016 Camaro
No comment.
dbotsfordtat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 12:18 PM   #28
GothamCamaro
Then you're gonna love me

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro Tumbler RS
I did crazy things when I was a teen that I regret so I'm not one to say anything about leasing a VW.

Getting a POS at 17.... I would have dreamnt of having a car at all but times are different now. Leasing helps your credit about the same as buying? Never leased... so I honestly don't know.

Anyone that knows of a place that is making the Concept Shifter for the new Camaro. (Auto specifically) Please let me know.

Order# NDTMVP Ordered 10/23/08.
2000 on 5/21/09... It begins.....
4B00 on 6/26/09... In transit to the Cave
5000 on 7/6/09 it waits for my arrival!
1000000 on 7/10/09 The Tumbler is in the Cave!
GothamCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote