Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 01-06-2012, 05:55 PM   #1
007s 'Vert
Formerly Lil'BlueCoupe

Drives: '13 2LT/RS Vert, Summit White
Question Nitrogen filled Tires Are they worth it?

Hey folks, I have a little issue here, I have the nitrogen filled tires on my LT and I live out on a dirt road, obviously I have lots of tire issues such as punctures and small leaks and this has happened on all my cars since I have lived here. I have always had my air compressor at the ready and have managed to maintain my tires just fine with it.
The main question here is- is it really much of a difference having nitrogen in a tire vs a tire filled with regular air? does it really do anything different having nitrogen?
I ask this because for one I obviously dont have a nitrogen system at my house to maintain my tires and I don't even know where I can go and get them filled with nitrogen other then a chevy dealership. Should I just go to using regular air? I have gone this far in life using regular air in them.
I have had my car for a month now and my passenger rear tire is 5 PSI lower than the others, tomorrow I am having my heritage grill installed and so I will be having them look at the tire and refilling it.
Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Old 01-06-2012, 05:58 PM   #2
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Drives: 13' AGM 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
Nitrogen filled Tires Are they worth it?
No, end of story!
Old 01-06-2012, 05:59 PM   #3
Aequitas & Veritas

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT RS, 2009 GTR
Nope, air is almost 80% nitrogen anyways
Old 01-06-2012, 06:02 PM   #4
AngelSpeedFreak
Most hated in NM....

Drives: Sold the 6POINT2, went to a 50THZ06
I think nitrogen is a huge ripoff. Like bottled water
Old 01-06-2012, 06:05 PM   #5
Shadow Camaro

Drives: Rally Yellow 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS M6
oxygen is made up of a little over 70% of nitrogen, Nitrogen has bigger particles so it leaks through the tire rubber at a slower rate. The rest of the particles leak faster. So if you think about it, every time you put air in your tires, you increase the percentage of nitrogen in them. You will never be at 100% but definately close after many fill ups lol.

Thats just how i look at it. my .02

Rotofab CAI, SW LT Headers and High Flow Cats, SW Cat-Back, Eibach Pro rear wheel spacers, SS Grill Insert, Street Scene Front Splitter, Blacked out rear emblem, blacked out bezels, plasti-dipped lower bumper, plasti-dipped rims with yellow pinstriping, dyed interior stitching yellow, 2x Kicker CVR 12's w/ 1200 watt kicker amp. MORE TO COME!
Shadow Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 06:10 PM   #6
GEN-IV
Right Cam

Drives: 2010 LS3 / 79 Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Camaro View Post
oxygen is made up of a little over 70% of nitrogen, Nitrogen has bigger particles so it leaks through the tire rubber at a slower rate. The rest of the particles leak faster. So if you think about it, every time you put air in your tires, you increase the percentage of nitrogen in them. You will never be at 100% but definately close after many fill ups lol.

Thats just how i look at it. my .02
You meant air, right? Otherwise you summed it up perfectly!
Old 01-06-2012, 06:23 PM   #7
007s 'Vert
Formerly Lil'BlueCoupe

Thanks folks I appreciate all the advice, a buddy of mine said that nitrogen was the way to go but he had no real viable reason as to why.
It's easier for me to access regular air with my compressor and it is more convenient when it comes to filling my tires.
The car had nitrogen filled tires at the dealership and so I had no choice but to get it that way, unless I was just going to stand there while they let the nitrogen out of them all and then just pump them up with regular air lol.
The longer I have this car and think about the tires, the more I am just thinking of filling up the tires like I am used to doing, and I am also thinking of filling them up a little firmerabout another five pounds. This is the practice I have always been doing on my cars and have never had any issues when it came to tire wear, and I actually got better gas mileage when I did that. For example when I had my Avalanche I had new tires put on and they filled them to around 35 PSI (the reccomended pressure written on the door) and I drove it twenty miles home and noticed that the vehicle was getting really crappy mileage, I then filled the tires up to around 42~44 PSI and I got way better mileage, the tires even lasted a long time as well after that.
I even fill the tires up on my 04 Monte Carlo supercharged up to 42 PSI and it too gets better gas mileage than it used to with the old "reccomended" pressures.
I have a good friend that used to work in tire shops and he even turned me on to that little trick. Hmmmmm I think I need to call him and talk to him about the nitrogen filled tires.
Old 01-06-2012, 06:24 PM   #8
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '20 Corvette Stingray
NOPE......AIR IS FREE! if you have to pay for something to presurize your tires....BUY A COMPRESSOR.....
Old 01-06-2012, 06:27 PM   #9
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Drives: 13' AGM 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil'BlueCoupe View Post
Thanks folks I appreciate all the advice, a buddy of mine said that nitrogen was the way to go but he had no real viable reason as to why.
It's easier for me to access regular air with my compressor and it is more convenient when it comes to filling my tires.
The car had nitrogen filled tires at the dealership and so I had no choice but to get it that way, unless I was just going to stand there while they let the nitrogen out of them all and then just pump them up with regular air lol.
The longer I have this car and think about the tires, the more I am just thinking of filling up the tires like I am used to doing, and I am also thinking of filling them up a little firmerabout another five pounds. This is the practice I have always been doing on my cars and have never had any issues when it came to tire wear, and I actually got better gas mileage when I did that. For example when I had my Avalanche I had new tires put on and they filled them to around 35 PSI (the reccomended pressure written on the door) and I drove it twenty miles home and noticed that the vehicle was getting really crappy mileage, I then filled the tires up to around 42~44 PSI and I got way better mileage, the tires even lasted a long time as well after that.
I even fill the tires up on my 04 Monte Carlo supercharged up to 42 PSI and it too gets better gas mileage than it used to with the old "reccomended" pressures.
I have a good friend that used to work in tire shops and he even turned me on to that little trick. Hmmmmm I think I need to call him and talk to him about the nitrogen filled tires.
Just fill as need with regular air, no need to empty the nitrogen. Home Depot had a nice Husky 2 gallon air compressor on sale recently for $49 (I picked one up), you may want to look into that for home fill up's.
Old 01-06-2012, 06:29 PM   #10
nancygrl
雪の玉

Drives: '22 Z71 RST Silverado
imo, unless you're into serious racing then stay with nitrogen, otherwise there's nothing wrong with regular air.
nancygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 06:35 PM   #11
007s 'Vert
Formerly Lil'BlueCoupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrfan View Post
Just fill as need with regular air, no need to empty the nitrogen. home Depot had a nice husky 2 gallon air compressor on sale recently for $49 (I picked one up), you may want to look into that for home fill up's.
Like I said before, I have an air compressor at the ready all the time because I am always having to repair them/ fill them. However it is about time to get a new one, I have a DeVilbas 20 gallon compressor that I have had for about twenty years now and it is really starting to show it's age although i have rebuilt it twice, rebuilding air compressors is easy, I haven't found a broken down compressor yet that I cannot fix, that is how I get some really nice compressors for DIRT cheap because folks think they are non repairable.
I actually like the large capacity compressors because living out on this dirt road I use them for blowing all the dust out of my cars almost on a daily basis.
Old 01-06-2012, 06:51 PM   #12
scythezo6
Virologist in the making

Drives: 2010 VR SS/RS LS3
Its not worth it for daily driving. As everyone mentioned atmospheric air on earth is mostly nitrogen.
Old 01-06-2012, 07:32 PM   #13
Ivas
el Ruco

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS (now runnin' TENS )
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelSpeedFreak View Post
I think nitrogen is a huge ripoff. Like bottled water
Brother, I couldn't agree more! Nitrogen IS air.
Ivas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 07:42 PM   #14
jtzako

Drives: 2010 IBM Camaro SS
There is a slight difference in heat build up between Nitrogen fill and normal air but not enough for any but the most hard core of racing to notice. It certainly isnt worth paying to get more nitrogen in your tires.