Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 03-26-2009, 06:32 PM   #1
Camaro Lives On
Force RECON

Drives: 2005 Saab 9-5 2.3T
Send a message via AIM to Camaro Lives On
Lightbulb My Own Ambient Lighting...

Please don't flame me too bad about this.

The door ABL on the Camaro got me thinking... Can I do that? Would that look decent on my car? I won't be getting a Camaro for a WHILE, so I figured I'd give it a try.

I'm driving a '93 Chrysler New Yorker, not the greatest car on the planet, BY FAR... but it's in great condition. The fake wood trim on the driver and passenger door had come off before I bought the car, but the passenger one was in the trunk, waiting to be put back on.

I saw the pictures of the new ABL on the Camaro and started scemeing. Today I went to Wal-Mart (the lest expensive route) and picked up a 15" strip of red LED lights (peal and stick ), very thin, and fits exactly behind the trim peice. The only thing that needed to be done for the effect to really work was to sand down about half a centimeter off the top edge of the inside of the trim peice.

After doing this, I went and test fitted it, only problem was the 4 ft long wire that goes to the button and battery box. I had to snake it under the dash, making sure to keep it COMPLETELY out of sight.

Only thing left that I need to do is go to a junk yard, or someplace and find a replacement for the driver side trim. Then I cant do the same to the driver side.

I've got a few pictures, I'm going to take some more later tonight when it gets a little darker. A few are of my hiding job of the wire, and the others are just of the lighting itself, and the button. Like I said, I'll take a few more later, to see how it lights up. Honestly, I want to see how it comes out too, because I just finished about an hour ago, and havent seen it in the dark. Tell me what y'all honestly think.

Just for the record, I'm 17, but I'm NOT a ricer, or anything like that. I just REALLY liked the ABL on the Camaro and figured I'd try some out for myself while hoping for a 5th gen of my own.
Attached Images

Old 03-26-2009, 06:38 PM   #2
CamaroScotty
Account Suspended

Drives: Your new SLP Camaro!
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroScotty
Is that the car that says "your door is ajar, your door is ajar"??????
CamaroScotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 06:45 PM   #3
Supermans
Camaro & Stang Enthusiast

Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0 in Kona Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroScotty View Post
My parents used to own a Chrysler Lebaron that talked. It would freak out the valet..lol.. Since we were in Panama, the valet spoke spanish and didn't understand what the car was telling them..lol.."Your door is ajar" would be what the car would say. "Please buckle your safety belts"...It was rather neat at the time, considering knight Rider was just starting out as a new TV show..
Old 03-26-2009, 07:12 PM   #4
TRIXXTERR

Drives: 96 Z28(sold)
NEED NIGHTTIME PIX. for a better idea of brightness..Not a bad idea though.. looks easy enough. Maybe WE could do our own similar to this on THE DASH...
TRIXXTERR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 07:16 PM   #5
RT21
Sage of Thread Killing

Drives: IBM Tumbler
Quote:
Dude ...that's like taking a lolipop from a 3yo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermans View Post
My parents used to own a Chrysler Lebaron that talked. It would freak out the valet..lol.. Since we were in Panama, the valet spoke spanish and didn't understand what the car was telling them..lol.."Your door is ajar" would be what the car would say. "Please buckle your safety belts"...It was rather neat at the time, considering knight Rider was just starting out as a new TV show..
THAT would be funny!!

"It's better to be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt." Abraham Lincoln
Quote:
Silver Streak: This car is screaming Camaro all the way through. If you are still complaining about the Camaro, you need to re-evaluate!
Edmunds: "You want to kick ass, or fondle the door panels, sissy?" LOL!!!
Blur: You need to develop your own level of badassery before handling a car with so much badass content.
pinkcamaro10: "gained the faith back" Thanks guys! "Patiently" waiting thanks to all the pink milk people!
http://camaro5rt.mybrute.com
RT21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 07:41 PM   #6
Camaro Lives On
Force RECON

Quote:
Thankfully, no. That would freak me out .

More pix, pretty much dark. Came out pretty good to me.
Attached Images

Old 03-26-2009, 08:07 PM   #7
TRIXXTERR

Drives: 96 Z28(sold)
Looks Sweet. Hmm May need to go to Waly and check this stuff out.. the lite strip you got is where? auto dept?
TRIXXTERR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 08:26 PM   #8
Camaro Lives On
Force RECON

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRIXXTERR View Post
Looks Sweet. Hmm May need to go to Waly and check this stuff out.. the lite strip you got is where? auto dept?
Yep, $14.96 here in Terre Haute, I'm guessing it would be the same down in Texas.
Old 03-27-2009, 01:30 AM   #9
manimsoblack

Drives: 04 Pontiac Grand Am, 08 Ninja 650r
Hmm i may do something similar.

Also my dad had a '93 New Yorker and the tranny went out on my in the middle of a very busy intersection at rush hour....
manimsoblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 01:43 AM   #10
Dave McFly
*new car smell*

Drives: 2007 Ford Mustang 'Natasha'
Send a message via ICQ to Dave McFly Send a message via AIM to Dave McFly Send a message via MSN to Dave McFly Send a message via Yahoo to Dave McFly Send a message via Skype™ to Dave McFly
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by manimsoblack View Post

Also my dad had a '93 New Yorker and the tranny went out on my in the middle of a very busy intersection at rush hour....
Gotta love those 'K cars'
Old 03-27-2009, 05:41 AM   #11
Camaro Lives On
Force RECON

Quote:
Originally Posted by manimsoblack View Post

Ha, what a coincidence, I just had my tranny rebulit... just got it back Wednesday after a week in the shop... $1500

Friend of mine had an old Lebaron 'vert and had to have a new tranny put in.

Did Chrysler K-cars just have crap tranmissions from the factory?

Thanks for the positive comments y'all.
Old 03-27-2009, 07:17 AM   #12
Sierra

Drives: 2004 GMC Sierra SLT 4x4
80-90s chrysler products were crap to answer your question about trans. The light doesnt look have bad. Good job
Old 03-28-2009, 12:43 PM   #13
Camaro Lives On
Force RECON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra View Post
80-90s chrysler products were crap to answer your question about trans. The light doesnt look have bad. Good job
Thanks Hopefully, I dont need to have anything else fixed because of the fact that Chrysler slacked off.
Old 03-28-2009, 03:50 PM   #14
MTron

Drives: 99 Grand Prix
hmm...what are some stats on these LED's...12 volts i assume...did the packaging say how much current they draw? if the current is small enough, you should look into getting a potentiometer/rheostat so you can varry the intensity of the LED's by varying the voltage.....essentially a dimmer knob..lol...could be pretty cool....
MTron is offline   Reply With Quote