Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 11-26-2016, 08:37 PM   #1
C10_ustacould

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Garnet Metallic A10
Touring and Sport Mode Question

My "touring" and "Sport" selector buttons don't illuminate when selected. If I push the "touring" button twice the DIC displays "Competitive Driving Mode", selecting it again turns it off. Should I have a light in the button if it is selected? The car is a '15 and has been modified with cai, headers, exhaust, and I'm sure a tune. I have no info on the tune as I bought the car this way just a few days ago. The car also has foot well and cup holder lighting installed. Has anyone seen this issue? Thanks in advance for any assistance.

"I don't anymore, but I ustacould!"

2018 ZL1 Garnet Metallic
C10_ustacould is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 08:47 PM   #2
Z/28Dan

Drives: 2013 HWSE Indy Festial #26
I have a light in my buttons when the mode is selected.

Dan
Z/28Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 08:51 PM   #3
Candr3535

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Triple Black Vert M6 #5591
Mine lites up too. Pull the console up and see if problem with plug. There's a diy for the gauge cluster removal.
Dyna-Tech Headers Ceramic Coated w/Super Flo Cats, JRE Custom Rough Idle Racing Cam Package and 125 RWHP Pulley Kit w/ 28% pulley, Custom Tune by Ted, ID850 injectors, JMS Fuel Booster, NGK Plugs, MSD Plug Wires, Roto-Fab CAI, Roto-Fab Big Gulp, Elite Catch Can, Mild to Wild, 90mm VMaxx Ported Throttle Body, Skip Shift Elim., D3 Coolant Resevoir, Separated Clutch Resevoir, and Fuzzy Red Dice..
Candr3535 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 09:27 PM   #4
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
Can't speak to the lighting, but can speak to the Competitive mode you're seeing.

The coupes have Tour, Sport, and the PTMs and the Convertibles have Tour, Sport, and Competitive mode, and obviously a long hold on the TC button will shut everything off (Do not recommend this).

However, Competitive mode is accessed by a quick double tap of the Traction Control button, not the Tour button. Appears your console panel may have been messed with. Is the cigarette button replaced with a line lock button or something? Haha. Seriously, it likely means somebody had the console out and messed with it. Take a picture of it if you can and post it here.
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 09:49 PM   #5
rvnmaniac

Drives: 2012 M6 ZL1. 2019 Altima.07 FJR1300
You should have a light...
Old 11-26-2016, 10:15 PM   #6
C10_ustacould

Quote:
Originally Posted by Can'tHave2MuchHP View Post
Can't speak to the lighting, but can speak to the Competitive mode you're seeing.

The coupes have Tour, Sport, and the PTMs and the Convertibles have Tour, Sport, and Competitive mode, and obviously a long hold on the TC button will shut everything off (Do not recommend this).

However, Competitive mode is accessed by a quick double tap of the Traction Control button, not the Tour button. Appears your console panel may have been messed with. Is the cigarette button replaced with a line lock button or something? Haha. Seriously, it likely means somebody had the console out and messed with it. Take a picture of it if you can and post it here.
Well, I wonder if the PO messed it up when he installed the cup holder lighting (not sure that is needed anyway). I'll read up on removing the panel and take a pic to share. Is there any way the tune may have caused this?

2018 ZL1 Garnet Metallic
Old 11-26-2016, 10:47 PM   #7
C10_ustacould

I watched the River city creations video on disassembling the center console and then I popped the cluster bezel loose. I can't quite get it out due it hitting the A/C controls bezel. What I did notice is the harness enters the button's housing from the passenger's side near the lighter. In the video the harness enters from the driver's side, near the console edge. Is it possible the housing for the buttons is installed backwards? If this is possible would it cause the lights to be misaligned with the windows in the button faces? I'm at a loss at the moment.

2018 ZL1 Garnet Metallic
Old 11-26-2016, 11:03 PM   #8
Can'tHave2MuchHP

It could be due to the alignment, but you should at least be able to see light coming through cracks around the buttons if that were the case. Also, no the tune would have nothing to do with the lights. More than likely the lighting required the button back lighting to be disabled or he screwed it up when he took it apart/put it back together.

I'd take it to the dealer if you want it fixed, they'll be able to do it pretty easily. The ambient lighting is a lighting package that is dealer installed I think, not positive on that, but either way, a good tech should be able to fix it.
Old 11-26-2016, 11:32 PM   #9
C10_ustacould

I pulled the switch and found something odd when comparing the switch with the picture from Rock Auto's site. Look at where the rounded edge of the Tour button is in relation to where the harness plugs in, it's opposite from mine. The "GM" is also a tell-tale sign. I'm thinking of ordering one to see how it is oriented or clocked compared to mine. My kid wants to pop the switch open now but I'm of the mind that it's working so let's leave it in there and get another one.

Rock Auto pic
Name:  TCSwitch_RA.jpeg
Views: 757
Size:  13.7 KB

My pic 1
Name:  TCSwitch_Buck1.jpg
Views: 803
Size:  105.6 KB

My pic 2
Name:  TCSwitch_Buck2.jpg
Views: 744
Size:  109.1 KB

2018 ZL1 Garnet Metallic
Old 11-26-2016, 11:49 PM   #10
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Very odd...

You really need to find the previous owner of this car for true help. Hope you can.
Old 11-26-2016, 11:53 PM   #11
C10_ustacould

Quote:
Originally Posted by Can'tHave2MuchHP View Post
Very odd...

You really need to find the previous owner of this car for true help. Hope you can.
Yep, I've been scouring the web trying to find the guy hopefully he'll get with me soon.

2018 ZL1 Garnet Metallic
Old 11-27-2016, 12:47 AM   #12
Candr3535

I'd bet the switch is bad, if not mistaken the light is in the switch. Switch should fix it.
Dyna-Tech Headers Ceramic Coated w/Super Flo Cats, JRE Custom Rough Idle Racing Cam Package and 125 RWHP Pulley Kit w/ 28% pulley, Custom Tune by Ted, ID850 injectors, JMS Fuel Booster, NGK Plugs, MSD Plug Wires, Roto-Fab CAI, Roto-Fab Big Gulp, Elite Catch Can, Mild to Wild, 90mm VMaxx Ported Throttle Body, Skip Shift Elim., D3 Coolant Resevoir, Separated Clutch Resevoir, and Fuzzy Red Dice..
Old 11-27-2016, 12:49 AM   #13
Candr3535

Probably broke the top off that switch when putting in the light kit and reassembled wrong. But I'd just change out that switch.
Old 11-27-2016, 12:51 AM   #14
Candr3535

Btw, your ADDICTED TO THIS CAR AND SITE NOW. Lmao. I've been too. Good luck my friend and if I can help u with anything hit me up.