Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 10-23-2018, 09:13 PM   #1
samdaman

Drives: 2017 Silver Ice Metallic Camaro 2SS
Camaro Owner, looking for some advice

Hey guys!
My name is Sam, and I have a couple of questions. I am a complete noob when it comes to this modding stuff and I was wondering if you guys could enlighten me. The car has NPP exahust.

So I have warranty until 100k miles (extended), but I'm not planning on waiting that long to mod my baby.

The first mod I'm looking at doing for my 1 year anniversary with my baby is 2nd Cat delete. I heard this doesn't mess with warranty.

I want to also install headers in the future, and from what I heard this does void warranty, because I would more than likely need a tune.

Ok, this is where my inexperience comes to play, what is XPIPE, and does it replace the NPP? I'm trying to add to the NPP not get rid of it. Any answers would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks, Sam!
instagram
@jusstbelieveSam
samdaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 09:36 PM   #2
vtirocz

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS M6
Is there something specific you're trying to achieve with these mods? In my opinion, the stock "tri-Y" (short) header seems pretty good as does the stock X-pipe. I'd just do some research on whatever your interested in to make sure the power increase warrants the cost and that it's actually an improvement.

Here's some info on the stock setup:
https://www.mishimoto.com/engineerin...system-review/
Pic of stock manifold: https://media.chevrolet.com/media/us...19-camaro.html

Best 1/4 Mile: 12.24 @ 115.9 mph
vtirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 10:35 PM   #3
Epx998
|Engineer|

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
This helped me ->

As far as modding your car, waiting to 100k is rough, but the warranty is important. Starting light is a good idea, headers, exhaust, tune maybe a flex fuel sensor?
Old 10-30-2018, 06:46 AM   #4
akelly78

Drives: 2016 Red 2SS
Most extended warranties are refundable with a prorated amount back. I would keep mods light as to not void the warranty and if you decide to go with mods that could void the warranty I would go to the dealer that you bought the warranty from and get the refund. Then use the money on the mods that you want. I had a 100k extended warranty on my Focus ST I bought new and refunded it at 38K and they gave me just over 2200 back.
akelly78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 01:04 PM   #5
bpang1234
You can only YOLO once.

Drives: '16 2SS & '15 Subaru Forester
Quote:
Originally Posted by akelly78 View Post
Most extended warranties are refundable with a prorated amount back. I would keep mods light as to not void the warranty and if you decide to go with mods that could void the warranty I would go to the dealer that you bought the warranty from and get the refund. Then use the money on the mods that you want. I had a 100k extended warranty on my Focus ST I bought new and refunded it at 38K and they gave me just over 2200 back.
This exactly...I know the extended warranty I got on my Audi was refunded when I decided to trade it in.

Even if you decide to keep the warranty it is a great idea to talk to your service department to see which mods you would get dinged for and which you wouldn't. Some dealerships can be very mod friendly and some are not...some will even sell / install the mods. It's a good opportunity to scout out your local dealerships to see if there is one that will be nice about it.

I would second the "take it slow" approach to starting out. Put some miles on the car to make sure you don't get any of the major issues that some have reported (transmission shudder probably being the most scary one). I recommend driving the car for at least a year to unearth any potential issues and also to REALLY understand what you need to do to the car to enjoy it. That is really the key, if you are new to the scene go do an autocross or some drag runs...meet other people with the platform and get their thoughts on what is worth it and what is not. Being in California, you are in one of the best states to do that.
-1st Car to have the "full" SEMA High Performance Graphics kit from 6LEDesigns.
-1st Car to have the 6LEDesigns Blade Spoiler.
-Borla S-Type w/ custom H-Pipe
-Procharger P-1X Stage 2
bpang1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 01:33 PM   #6
SteveFrench

Drives: Summit White 2018 SS
The dealership i bought my car off won't warranty a car with a tune (or say they wont anyway) but the other GM dealership near me says they will with the shop i'm going to because they are reputable and have done work for them before so go and talk to different dealerships and maybe you can find one that's very mod friendly. Most of the dealerships here says as long as they can't prove it was your mod that caused the work they will warranty it.
SteveFrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 01:53 PM   #7
TJay74

Drives: 17 Camaro SS 1LE & 16 Sierra AT CC
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtirocz View Post
Is there something specific you're trying to achieve with these mods? In my opinion, the stock "tri-Y" (short) header seems pretty good as does the stock X-pipe. I'd just do some research on whatever your interested in to make sure the power increase warrants the cost and that it's actually an improvement.

Here's some info on the stock setup:
https://www.mishimoto.com/engineerin...system-review/
Pic of stock manifold: https://media.chevrolet.com/media/us...19-camaro.html

While the stock Tri-Y header flows really well, there are still gains to be had with full length headers along with a good tune.

Deleting the secondary cats should not mess with the warranty of the whole car, the exhaust maybe but the whole car no since they are not monitored. They will offer a better growl over stock and frees up about 5hp or so.

The only thing bad is the x-pipe in the stock system is at the rear of the car right in front of the muffler, that is the worst place for it. I have the ARH catless full system headers on my car. Beautifully made here in the USA and they correct the x-pipe by moving it towards the front for better scavenging.

If you want some decent bang for the bucks mods, here you go...

Untuned:

PRAY ported TB/IM combo
Roto-fab dry CAI
Secondary cat delete

Should pick up around 20rwhp.

Tuned:

All of the above
Long tube headers (catted or catless, your choice)
E85 flex fuel sensor kit
Tune

Expect to pick up another 40-50 rwhp or so. Should put you near 450-475 rwhp at that point.

2017 Camaro SS 1LE - Procharger D1SC w/ Tial 2" BOV & Race intercooler / ARH full length catless headers / Alky meth injection system - 650rwhp on conservative tune SOLD
TJay74 is offline   Reply With Quote