Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 08-14-2018, 11:10 AM   #1
mpsgolf

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS Transformer
New Amp Help?

Sorry if these are dumb questions ...

I have a 2012 SS coupe with Boston Acoustics audio. I added a sub and separate amp for the sub in the trunk. HUGE improvement.

1. Will a new amp really improve the sound if I keep the OE speakers for now? My main issue was always lack of bass - which I solved nicely.

2. How many channels do I need and how much power? I would think I keep the sub amp I have and not use the new amp to power the sub.
Attached Images

Mods: trunk subwoofer and amp, LED lighting (fogs, interior, trunk), skip shift eliminator, CAI cold air kit, Vmax ported throttle body, Stainless Works retro chambered cat back, JBA Cat4ward SS ceramic coated headers
Potential Next Mods: Tune, F&R sway bars, rear cradle bushing inserts and trailing arms
mpsgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 03:51 PM   #2
Snoman
H-Town Camaro Club

Drives: 2013 Dusk Edition 2SS/M6/Sun/NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpsgolf View Post
Sorry if these are dumb questions ...

I have a 2012 SS coupe with Boston Acoustics audio. I added a sub and separate amp for the sub in the trunk. HUGE improvement.

1. Will a new amp really improve the sound if I keep the OE speakers for now? My main issue was always lack of bass - which I solved nicely.

2. How many channels do I need and how much power? I would think I keep the sub amp I have and not use the new amp to power the sub.

There are no dumb questions for those interested in doing the legwork, research and interested in obtaining knowledge.

1. Yes and no. The rears are bi-amped and cannot be driven correctly by 2 channels without purchasing an passive crossover network. This is not a preferred solution, but you could power the highs only though still run moderate risk of blowing your rears.
  2. To keep the OEM speakers, you would need a 6 channel x 50 with integrated crossover network. Most do not go this path as the cost associated with such amplified power is not advantageous.
  3. Purchase a healthy 4-channel amp and two speaker sets, either 2x 6.5" components or 6.5" components and 6x9" set. I prefer the former.
Short list of 4 channel amplifiers off the top of my head, there are others but they get more expensive and I'm sure I forgot a few reputable companies like, Hertz and Mosconi. Don't be afraid to ask about brands and there is of course, FB marketplace, ebay and CL to pick up used (target price is 50% of MSRP).

• Alpine PDX-F4
  • Alpine PDX-F6
  • JL 300/4v3
  • JL 600/4
  • RF T600
  • RF P600
  • Sony XM-GS4 (Best SQ for the money, proven)
Snoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 11:38 AM   #3
Dega Man

Drives: ZL1
Snoman, I've wondered where you've been. I have the PDX-F6 in two cars they are definitely awesome. I had the PDR-F50 and it is good Amp as well.

Last edited by Dega Man; 08-31-2018 at 06:50 AM.
Dega Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 01:58 PM   #4
Snoman
H-Town Camaro Club

Drives: 2013 Dusk Edition 2SS/M6/Sun/NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dega Man View Post
Snoman, I've wondered where you've been. I have the PDX-F4 in two cars they are definitely awesome. I had the PDR-F50 and it is good Amp as well.

Somewhere between me getting really upset at trolls asking me the same questions 500x and well....there was this female creature that charmed me with her, well, attributes. I broke free of that evil witch, started on my Masters degree in there somewhere the C5 admin reminded me they've got my back if trolls get in my way again. I'll probably forget to log on daily, but trying to be around more.
Snoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 06:50 AM   #5
Dega Man

Drives: ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoman View Post
Somewhere between me getting really upset at trolls asking me the same questions 500x and well....there was this female creature that charmed me with her, well, attributes. I broke free of that evil witch, started on my Masters degree in there somewhere the C5 admin reminded me they've got my back if trolls get in my way again. I'll probably forget to log on daily, but trying to be around more.
Man glad to have you back.
Dega Man is offline   Reply With Quote