Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 07-19-2009, 12:28 PM   #1
Kellie1216

Drives: 2LT RS, SIM Auto, 20" Polished
Custom Paint job ideas

So I bought my new Camaro from a local dealer - 2LT SIM w/black leather interior and the RS package. Finally got my black rally stripes installed - and I hate them. Not only did they do a crappy install job (bubbles, uneven, etc), but the finish on the stripes is matte - not gloss. Yes, I have read the comments about this, and I know it is my own fault for not doing my homework to discover this beforehand.... shame on me. Bottom line... I am having them removed.

I have decided to do a custom paint job, and looking for input. Nothing crazy like graphics/flames... just probably a two-tone, old school look. Maybe silver & black, or possibly a candy apple red...? Nothing too loud or girly. I have seen the pink car... and while it appears to be a beautiful paint job, pink is definitely not my thing.

Thought you guys could offer suggestions on where to look for ideas (online, magazines, etc), or share any pictures you may have. Also, any input on what to look for in a painter would be appreciated - as I am a clueless female when it comes to anything regarding custom paint jobs.

Thanks
Kellie1216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 12:34 PM   #2
ljustin293

Drives: 2010 VR CAMARO 2SS/RS
I believe TAG has some SIM on his CGM..so CGM may look really good with a two-tone job
ljustin293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 02:22 PM   #3
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '20 Corvette Stingray
well swince you have a RS, you might consider the OLD SCHOOL Rally Sport paint scheme. Paint the hood and top black (glossy). like the Dale Jr. car. Its a thought. My FIRST Camaro was a Silver RS, I personally liked that paint scheme.
Old 07-19-2009, 02:28 PM   #4
Indpowr
Account Suspended

Drives: Corvette C6
Custom paint jobs can run A LOT of money when done right. If you have to do something 2 tone it right now IMO. (blue/silver)

Also, Candy paint s not the best for a DD. If you need to repaint a panel it is almost impossible to do just one panel like you can with other paint jobs.

Here is my last customer paint job. HOK Kandy Tangerine but again took a while to paint and not cheap.

On a side note, I think Copper would look killer. (and would not call you clueless)
Indpowr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 02:43 PM   #5
mickss

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS-M6 67 Chevelle Wgn
This would be a good place to start for some ideas.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8427
mickss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 05:57 AM   #6
Kellie1216

Drives: 2LT RS, SIM Auto, 20" Polished
OK so maybe not completely clueless as I do know what HOK is (House of Kolor), but what does DD stand for? Yeah, I am a girl... what can I say ?

That Kandy Tangerine is absolutely stunning! So what does 'not cheap' mean? I am expecting $3-4K... but mabe even slightly higher for a candy color... am I even in the ballpark?
Kellie1216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 06:06 AM   #7
hollywoodGU

Drives: 1999 Firebird Formula
higher for kandy

my fav is candy apple red
i almost bought an 02 kandy apple green z28 that color was

EDIT
oh and DD is daily driver
hollywoodGU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 06:40 AM   #8
glambert1
HOMER

Drives: 2010 camaro 2LT RS SIM
I would get them done in a ghost paint . I havent done mine yet but if I do it wont be like anyone elses I just cant do that the plain colors are just so boring to me wheres the originality ? I'm looking at websites trying to fine very large hi def images to have a vinyl shop put into the stripes maybe like an image of stars and moons or hubble type images but very subtle blended into the color so it seems like one color but when you get close you see that its an actual image thats very cool , well I'm just planning
Old 07-20-2009, 06:40 AM   #9
Indpowr
Account Suspended

Drives: Corvette C6
That paint job on my Corvette runs around 15k. The HOK materials alone ran $4500.
Indpowr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 07:53 AM   #10
nards444

Drives: 1SS/RS Black
hope your prepared to throw down at least 10k to do it right. Not trying to be downer but some people dont realize what the cost are involved.

candy apple sounds good, or a white pearl, or the old camaro orange,

Last edited by nards444; 07-20-2009 at 10:23 AM.
nards444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 03:27 PM   #11
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellie1216 View Post
So I bought my new Camaro from a local dealer - 2LT SIM w/black leather interior and the RS package. Finally got my black rally stripes installed - and I hate them. Not only did they do a crappy install job (bubbles, uneven, etc), but the finish on the stripes is matte - not gloss. Yes, I have read the comments about this, and I know it is my own fault for not doing my homework to discover this beforehand.... shame on me. Bottom line... I am having them removed.

I have decided to do a custom paint job, and looking for input. Nothing crazy like graphics/flames... just probably a two-tone, old school look. Maybe silver & black, or possibly a candy apple red...? Nothing too loud or girly. I have seen the pink car... and while it appears to be a beautiful paint job, pink is definitely not my thing.

Thought you guys could offer suggestions on where to look for ideas (online, magazines, etc), or share any pictures you may have. Also, any input on what to look for in a painter would be appreciated - as I am a clueless female when it comes to anything regarding custom paint jobs.

Thanks
Since you mentioned candy apple red and 2 tone ... I thought maybe go with candy red on the bottom, and possibly cyber gray on top? Or the complete reverse of that.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 04:06 PM   #12
bumble6021

Drives: 2010 1LT V6 Rally Yellow
Smile Go Unique

Candy Apple Red, nice. If you go 2 tone, I would probably suggest either silver and black, or black and red, you can match up anything to these color scheme's. Or just go nuts and do something bold and daring, something nobody else would do. But as far as wanting to see some pics, i just googled "two tone camaro paint jobs", and clicked on images, wowzers! lots an lots to make you think. good luck with whatever you choose, and post those pics when it's painted!!
bumble6021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 05:01 PM   #13
Synerbee
SoCal Headturners

Drives: 2010 SGM
Black and red two-tone are my favorite. If I ever have enough money that what I will do
Synerbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 09:14 PM   #14
rdono
Cavallino

Drives: 2010 SS/RS IMO-IMO
No one seems to understand the amount of labor it takes to properly paint a vehicle. And a custom finish is more labor for the added time to sand, mask, respray additional clear coats and then additional color block sand & polish. Show quality finishes can run (on a new car) 15-30K! A good quality street finish will run you all of 10K. Remember you get what you pay for, so ask yourself what you plan to do with the car, and wisdom would indicate paint if after you have completed all your other mods.