Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 09-13-2009, 12:00 PM   #15
Chewy
My boredom isn't safe

Drives: 2010 SS Camaro
Send a message via AIM to Chewy Send a message via MSN to Chewy
can dealers void your warranty for not using their 'recommended oil' ?
Old 09-13-2009, 12:05 PM   #16
14pilot
Original Bumblebee Owner

Drives: 265hp ZX-14, 500hp Silverado, V-ROD
Love the RP! Have been using it for about 7-8 years in everything, cars, trucks, bikes - but one bike (265HP Kawi ZX-14) that gets RedLine. I even use RP to lube my firearms (90W).

Shopping around, you can find RP at good prices. Definately a fan and recommend it.
#5 - 2010 2SS/RS MN6 ABM #142-Silver Rallys-GFX / Med Titanium
My previous Camaros:
#4 - 1994 Z/28 6M Black over Arctic White / Graphite-Red Inserts - traded
#3 - 1981 Z/28 Bright Blue Metallic / Black - sold
#2 - 1970.5 RS Mulsanne Blue / Blue - endo crashed it and parted it out
#1 - 1967 RS Butternut Yellow w/ Black Bumblebee Stripe-RPO D91 / Parchment-Black - sold
14pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 12:10 PM   #17
Autobot
More than meets the eye

Drives: 2SS RS M6 06 Jetta TDI 17 Civic EXL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
can dealers void your warranty for not using their 'recommended oil' ?
Absolutely.

Recommended oil, GM 4718M
Autobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 05:04 PM   #18
Uncle George

Drives: 2010 Camaro
I'm changing to Royal Purple at the 500 mile mark.

To expand the subject a little, is there a filter out there you guys can recommend? I always used K&N in the Magnum SRT-8 I traded in to get my Camaro.
Uncle George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 05:22 AM   #19
duder4thgen

Drives: Bird
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle George View Post
I'm changing to Royal Purple at the 500 mile mark.

To expand the subject a little, is there a filter out there you guys can recommend? I always used K&N in the Magnum SRT-8 I traded in to get my Camaro.
K&N filters are good stuff, if you can't get your hands on one I'd try Wix, Purolator PureOne, or a top end Mobil filter. NAPA Gold's are Wix filters with a different label.

For what its worth, Royal Purple does not meet GM4718M, or even GM6094M. Unsure whether that is because they haven't cared to test it or it is something else.

http://www.gm.com/corporate/responsi...ngine_oils.pdf

Royal Purple 5/30 and 10/30 are both only API SL certified (Pre 2004). SM is the current API standard, as far as I'm seeing only their 0/40, 5/40, and 15/40 weight oils meet SM. Don't know why, but thats how it is.

http://eolcs.api.org/DisplayLicenseI...LicenseNo=0777

Technically, Royal Purple should void yalls warranties. But that depends whether anyone really gives a crap during a warranty claim, so it could not be an issue.

For what I've heard about RP shearing so much faster than other synthetics, I'd just save the extra $4 a quart and buy something approved like Mobil 1 or Pennzoil Platinum anyways. Doubt anyone on here would find any difference, whether on the butt dyno or the real dyno.
duder4thgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 12:06 PM   #20
omegaman

Drives: very poorly
Send a message via AIM to omegaman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autobot View Post
Recommended oil, GM 4718M
This is correct. Warranty specifies the GM 4718M standard. Mobil 1 obviously meets this standard, but so does the new Castrol Edge synthetic (not Castrol Syntec though).

I am considering using Castrol Edge but it is more expensive than Mobil 1 (Walmart: Castrol Edge $26/5 qt.; Mobil 1 $22/5 qt.).

On a cost basis, it is really hard to justify anything other than Mobil 1.
Old 09-14-2009, 02:34 PM   #21
SleepWarz
Banned

Drives: 1991 New Yorker, 69 Tbird, ABM2SSRS
May as well put 87 in it then =p
SleepWarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 03:31 PM   #22
BigOSUfan

Drives: 2010 Camaro 6.2L
So are we saying go with the mobil 1 and a wix (napa gold) filter? I like the RP but would hate to have it come back and bite me in the A$$!
BigOSUfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 04:03 PM   #23
Hesh

Drives: 2010 IOM Camaro Vin 34334
Quote:
Originally Posted by omegaman View Post
This is correct. Warranty specifies the GM 4718M standard. Mobil 1 obviously meets this standard, but so does the new Castrol Edge synthetic (not Castrol Syntec though).

I am considering using Castrol Edge but it is more expensive than Mobil 1 (Walmart: Castrol Edge $26/5 qt.; Mobil 1 $22/5 qt.).

On a cost basis, it is really hard to justify anything other than Mobil 1.
Your right that the Castrol Edge is $4 more expensive but also has a 15k/1year change interval. With an extended interval oil filter this will save you in the long run.
Hesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 04:16 PM   #24
FAF

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2008 Tundra
ROYAL PURPLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by duder4thgen View Post
K&N filters are good stuff, if you can't get your hands on one I'd try Wix, Purolator PureOne, or a top end Mobil filter. NAPA Gold's are Wix filters with a different label.

For what its worth, Royal Purple does not meet GM4718M, or even GM6094M. Unsure whether that is because they haven't cared to test it or it is something else.

Royal Purple 5/30 and 10/30 are both only API SL certified (Pre 2004). SM is the current API standard, as far as I'm seeing only their 0/40, 5/40, and 15/40 weight oils meet SM. Don't know why, but thats how it is.

http://eolcs.api.org/DisplayLicenseI...LicenseNo=0777

Technically, Royal Purple should void yalls warranties. But that depends whether anyone really gives a crap during a warranty claim, so it could not be an issue.

For what I've heard about RP shearing so much faster than other synthetics, I'd just save the extra $4 a quart and buy something approved like Mobil 1 or Pennzoil Platinum anyways. Doubt anyone on here would find any difference, whether on the butt dyno or the real dyno.
You should do some more research for royal purple to meet the standard they would have to reduce 25% wear additive and they RE NOT WILLING TO LOWER THERE Standards. the reason the standard is so generic is in other applications the government would not want the wear reducer additive to prevent catalytic converters damage but never has happen in the history of royal purple but as you know the government think they know better.

check the facts and you will find Royal Purple is on a class of its own as Ams Oil.
Old 09-14-2009, 06:09 PM   #25
duder4thgen

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAF View Post
You should do some more research for royal purple to meet the standard they would have to reduce 25% wear additive and they RE NOT WILLING TO LOWER THERE Standards. the reason the standard is so generic is in other applications the government would not want the wear reducer additive to prevent catalytic converters damage but never has happen in the history of royal purple but as you know the government think they know better.

check the facts and you will find Royal Purple is on a class of its own as Ams Oil.
Well, a high zinc level would explain why they don't have the API SM certification. I had a feeling but didn't know for sure, so I didn't guess.

And like I said, maybe it could cause warranty problems, probably not. Though if you had a cat burn out before the federal mandated warranty expires, if the dealer wanted to be a prick, they could. Most likely not an issue.

I would like it if you wouldnt mind explaining to me why Royal Purple does not meet either GM4718M or GM6094M specifications, as of 1 June, 2009. 4718M is GM's High Performance Engine Oil Specifications, and 6094M is GM's Standard Engine Oil Specifications. Here is the link to the pdf again-

In fact, on RP's on PDS, they only claim to meet a few specs-

15/40: Meets DDC Powerguard 93K214, Cummins 20078 requirements and Caterpillar ECF-1 & ECF-2.

0/40: ACEA A3/B3-04

5/40: ACEA A2-96 and A3-02

http://www.royalpurple.com/prod-pdfs/motor-oil-ps.pdf

While those are all impressive certifications, those are the same three grades that meet the higher API SL cert., so common sense would tell me they are a different mix than the regular 30 weights.

As far as warranty, if the dealer wanted to screw with you for not using a GM4718M they could, but probably not. My main concern would be why does RP cost so much more, but does not meet the same specification for a performance motor that Pennzoil Platinum and Mobil 1 do?

I'm sure Royal Purpal is a great oil, I just don't see why it is so much more than other oils that meet higher standards? Doesn't make sense to buy unless you want to feel good.
Old 09-14-2009, 06:14 PM   #26
duder4thgen

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOSUfan View Post
So are we saying go with the mobil 1 and a wix (napa gold) filter? I like the RP but would hate to have it come back and bite me in the A$$!
I personally use Wix, great filters, never let me down. I don't think RP is a bad oil, just think Mobil 1 or PP will get your motor to 300k miles just as easy, give you just as good fuel economy and power, and cost a hell of a lot less at the same time too. If you wanted to go with Mobil 1 it would do you every bit as good as RP.
Old 09-14-2009, 09:05 PM   #27
mmbarberoilman

Drives: 2SS, 48 Plymouth, 77 Coup Deville
Use Amsoil. Compare it against anything before you purchase. Do not let fancy commercials or pretty colors choose for you. Compare specs. Did you buy your car without looking at the specs first??? Think about it. Of course I sell it, but I would pay twice as much for it than anything else out there. Royal Purple just lost a lawsuit for lying to customers by the way. Look it up at Federal Trade Commission website. If you can not find it, contact me.
mmbarberoilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 12:10 AM   #28
Kamaro4437

Drives: 2 64 1/2 coupes and 66 fastbac
Ill just add this in if anyone wants to know. We have run Royal Purple in our drag cars for years. Dynoed with conventional oil and then dynoed with Royal Purple in every dyno it has always picked the horsepower up 2 to 3 horsepower. Which is basically peanuts but however its still horsepower. Not to mention anytime we have ever taken apart a motor for the season everything still looks new and really doesnt need a freshen up but we do it anyway. We have also never lost a motor with Royal Purple oil. Royal Purple also makes an additive for your radiator that supposedly helps the car run a few degrees cooler.
Kamaro4437 is offline   Reply With Quote