Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 04-13-2016, 01:17 PM   #1
Ribak433

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Upgrades and Tuning question

Ok, so back "in the day" when you made a change mechanically to an engine, it was more or less bolt and go. Possibly carb jet changes, timing, etc. depending on the part added. No biggie.
Soooo, now leaping forward to today....
Its my understanding that for the most part, any mod you do, will potentially hinder vs add performance if you don't compensate for the added part via tuning the ECU. I'm looking at exhaust, CAI, MSD intake, etc..... But hell, I don't have the luxury of a nearby performance shop with the ability to tune the car. So should I just consider myself S.O.L? Have to bring the car to someone? Any suggestions?
I've also read through the tuning section, and it looks as though the off the shelf tunes. I believed referred to as canned tunes aren't worth the money. Also, through a post i was informed that one cannot just simply plug up a laptop and play with settings without extensive knowledge of the new age computer controlled vehicles.
Thoughts, input, suggestions..... Please advise!
Thank you in advance!
Ribak433 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 01:43 PM   #2
newb

Drives: 2013 1LE
There is an ability to do remote tuning. This is typically accomplished by buying a programming device with data logging capability. Data log the required parameters for a few "spirited" pulls (in a safe controlled environment) and send the data logs to a tuner. They will create a custom tune and email it to you. Load to your device. Program the car. And enjoy your new power.
It's a Dingledarm. It's there to dampen side fumbling. If your marzelvanes fumble too much they can cause total protonic reversal. It gets ugly from there. This is really the biggest problem with the new Camaro. That and the tri-pronged blivot.

Delivered 21 Jan 2013

newb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 02:03 PM   #3
Ribak433

Quote:
Originally Posted by newb View Post
There is an ability to do remote tuning. This is typically accomplished by buying a programming device with data logging capability. Data log the required parameters for a few "spirited" pulls (in a safe controlled environment) and send the data logs to a tuner. They will create a custom tune and email it to you. Load to your device. Program the car. And enjoy your new power.
Very interesting, I had no clue this was an option! If this be the case.... In theory, I suppose I could have the car tuned by any shop in the country?! Correct?
Also, where would one purchase such an instrument? aka data logger?
Old 04-13-2016, 02:28 PM   #4
newb

Drives: 2013 1LE
There are several programmers available. Head over to the tuning/diagnostics section for more info. As for Tuners, stick to the known/reputable ones. You get what you pay for so don't be cheap. It could cost you a motor or transmission if they get it wrong.
It's a Dingledarm. It's there to dampen side fumbling. If your marzelvanes fumble too much they can cause total protonic reversal. It gets ugly from there. This is really the biggest problem with the new Camaro. That and the tri-pronged blivot.

Delivered 21 Jan 2013

newb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 03:26 PM   #5
Ribak433

Quote:
Originally Posted by newb View Post
There are several programmers available. Head over to the tuning/diagnostics section for more info. As for Tuners, stick to the known/reputable ones. You get what you pay for so don't be cheap. It could cost you a motor or transmission if they get it wrong.
Thanks, I've been monitoring that section regularly. Just doesn't seem to get the traffic flow, therefore replies this section does! Thank you
Old 04-13-2016, 06:53 PM   #6
jdasnt3

Drives: 18 Silverado 1500
I was in your shoes from 1998 til 2012. I did remote tuning with a company and had decent results. Enough to be satisfied with bolt one for all my cars.
Old 04-13-2016, 07:33 PM   #7
stmbtwilli

Drives: 2016 Garnet Red 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribak433 View Post
Ok, so back "in the day" when you made a change mechanically to an engine, it was more or less bolt and go. Possibly carb jet changes, timing, etc. depending on the part added. No biggie.
Soooo, now leaping forward to today....
Its my understanding that for the most part, any mod you do, will potentially hinder vs add performance if you don't compensate for the added part via tuning the ECU. I'm looking at exhaust, CAI, MSD intake, etc..... But hell, I don't have the luxury of a nearby performance shop with the ability to tune the car. So should I just consider myself S.O.L? Have to bring the car to someone? Any suggestions?
I've also read through the tuning section, and it looks as though the off the shelf tunes. I believed referred to as canned tunes aren't worth the money. Also, through a post i was informed that one cannot just simply plug up a laptop and play with settings without extensive knowledge of the new age computer controlled vehicles.
Thoughts, input, suggestions..... Please advise!
Thank you in advance!
http://jannettyracing.com/

Call and talk to Ted. He is one of the best, if not THE best, tuner in the country. He does remote tunes as well as all kinds of builds at his shop in Waterbury, Conn. And he is one hell of a nice guy that will get you quickly up to speed on the current tuning business.
Old 04-13-2016, 07:38 PM   #8
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
OP just a reminder you will void your Powertrain warranty if you recalibrate. Make it a good one and hopefully no one checks if you sell.
Old 04-13-2016, 08:07 PM   #9
Indydriver

Drives: '14 2SS/RS Vert 6M/KTU/NPP/DTA/ARH
I'd say find a good tuner you can trust and take a road trip. Dyno tuning in the hands of an experienced engine man is tough to beat. Here in Indy, The Man is Mike Norris, aka "thevettedoctor". Make an appointment for May, spend a couple of days at the track, go home with a new car.

Also, I second the rec for Ted Jannety. He has given away a tremendous volume of knowledge on this board with no guarantee of a return.
Old 04-14-2016, 09:14 AM   #10
Ribak433

Thanks everyone! I appreciate the input.
Old 04-14-2016, 04:02 PM   #11
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
OP just call or email Jannety. He can help you no matter where you live and has a national reputation.

http://www.jannettyracing.com/

Ted is top notch. Listen to his advice.

But if you do tune your car keep in mind a dealer can give you warranty trouble if you have problems. While some will say that's not legal, get a lawyer and see how your out of pocket turns out. Dealers know this fact.

There are cool dealers though who will not punish you. But rare.

Without spending $$ on power mods the tune will not do much for you.
Old 04-14-2016, 04:07 PM   #12
bybcous

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 1SS
A friend has cai, full length headers and full exhaust from kooks, new larger intake and dynod at 450 hp before tune and 467 after. This is a 16 camaro 1ss
Best so far 11.5 at 123 with a 1.83 60ft. BMR lower and upper trailing arms and upper control arms,E85
DELIVERED 12/29/15
http://youtube.com/bybcous " no talking only racing on my youtube"
bybcous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 07:45 PM   #13
crabman

Drives: Sniffin the tree.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
OP just call or email Jannety. He can help you no matter where you live and has a national reputation.

http://www.jannettyracing.com/

Ted is top notch. Listen to his advice.

But if you do tune your car keep in mind a dealer can give you warranty trouble if you have problems. While some will say that's not legal, get a lawyer and see how your out of pocket turns out. Dealers know this fact.

There are cool dealers though who will not punish you. But rare.

Without spending $$ on power mods the tune will not do much for you.
The dealer can do the cheap stuff on their own hook but break something expensive and they cant do anything until GM sends a regional rep over to inspect the car. If that rep says no the dealer cannot get reimbursed for time or parts and few of us will be good enough customers for a dealer to come out of pocket on expensive repairs. What you get when you're in that position is a dealer that says "We're very sorry but the mean ol rep said no and we cant do the repair under warranty".

Once you've reached that point you can jump up and down, scream and yell, site the M&M act, threaten lawsuits, doesn't matter. The dealer isn't worried because the litigation should it come will be with GM, not them. GM isn't worried because they have lawyers on staff and they reckon the cost of them to be less than the total cost of warranties that could have been denied due to modifications changing the car into a configuration they did not sell and are not obligated to warranty.

I've done an M&M action and the process is involved and varies in some respects based on state law. In general though there are a few things that are commonly put forth on car forums but are not true.

One of them is the idea that the OEM must prove that a modification contributed to or caused the failure. The exact opposite is true. We are not in possession of our warranties, GM is, if they want to deny it all they have to do is say the words and it's done. If you want possession of that warranty you will have to follow one of several possible processes to get it from them. They will show up with various data, charts, graphs, etc. You must respond to this or it stands. The reality is you must prove you are innocent.

The other is that you will get fees if you win. The M&M act provides for the ability to ask for fees but doesn't guarantee them. My case was against Chrysler, I won and did not get my fees.

The saying over on corvetteforum is that you should be capable and prepared to be your own warranty station before you mod. It's good advice. If you mod smart and don't get carried away you probably wont have a problem. This is one of those things where most people wont have a problem, it's just the guy that got unlucky. The dealership will fix most things without a word despite a ton of mods as long as they are outside of the drivetrain because they can do so without oversight from that rep. Power mirror, heated seats, and so on. It's the big ticket items that will get you because that rep is well trained and without mercy, tears will not get him to sign off on a repair.

A guy who is barely able to make his Camaro payments and needs it to get to work might want to carefully consider where he would be if a major power-train item let go.
crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 08:54 PM   #14
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Also no lawsuit holds merit as it is a "limited" Powertrain warranty that clearly states if you modify the PCM in any way your Powertrain warranty is void. It does not call for anyone to come look at it. GM requires the dealer to send a snapshot of the PCM to Milford for comparison and approval of warranty work. If it has been modified it will be rejected. Not up to the dealer. MM only requires GM to honor the stated warranty. And they will. But that stated warranty says you can't modify the calibration.