Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 10-02-2007, 10:55 AM   #29
The_Stache
SoCal Race Team #13

Drives: 2010 1SS:RS:LS3:SW
Just for reference another little stat.. a study was done in cali to compare using electric cars versus gasoline. Even with coal plants producing the electricity to power the cars it lowered emissions by 70%.

There are arguments for and against every technology, but even the EPA says that gasoline would have to hit $5.00 a gallon for any other alternative to become economically feasible.
Old 10-02-2007, 11:04 AM   #30
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Oh, I realize that about the coal plants and electricity, I laugh at people who use it as an excuse...on top of not burning anything in cars; coal plants are becoming more and more clean...

Money aside - I'm really for getting away from pure gasoline... I don't think it's healthy for the US to have such strong links to OPEC, nor do I think we want a world effected negatively be global warming (btw, I think the global warming thing is happening, but they've blown it all out of proportion. It's turned into an armageddon type deal - it's not.)
Old 10-02-2007, 11:46 AM   #31
JeepinMatt

Drives: '99 Wrangler
Was going to post a specific link, but there are so many. Try clicking any one of these http://www.google.com/search?q=algae...006-25,GGGL:en
JeepinMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 11:47 AM   #32
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Electric cars are going to be pretty cool all over the place. Another cool thing is they don't make ANY sound. Had a guy in a Prius the other day trying to back up into a spot. He kept rolling forward a few feet slamming on the brakes every time he moved. I told him he had to turn on the car and put it in reverse (elderly guy). I watched him tap the shifter on the dashboard down, let off the brake and he backed up. There was NO noise at all. I was like...

We do need to be self sufficient (fuel wise). Eventually we are going to piss off so many people that we either won't be sold fuel, or it will cost us more than triple to buy the fuel over other countries. IMHO, the vehicle like the Volt is going to solve MANY of these issues. Man, I'd love to never have to use another drop of gasoline again...
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 11:48 AM   #33
JeepinMatt

I think that there are other solutions out there besides electric cars. What about hydrogen? Or biofuel? Biofuel would let the current infrastructure remain. If we switched to electric as a main source, practically every engine in the world would have to be replaced.
Old 10-02-2007, 11:57 AM   #34
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Hydrogen, unles your burning it, is an electric type of vehicle...reverse Hydrolysis. I may have misunderstood that.
but every single engine Would not have to be replaced - they'd just be phased out...

It's just a new type of thinking. Full-Electric vehicles are in their baby-stages. I mean look at the Volt. Even it needs a gas/E85/hydrogen engine to drive practical distances. That is the ideal setup, IMO, for the transitional stage between full gas, and full electric. We're now just waiting for batteries that can hold a 500 mile charge.

If the time arises, I will DEFINITELY be getting a Volt, Camaro first, though.
Old 10-02-2007, 12:00 PM   #35
JeepinMatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Hydrogen, unles your burning it, is an electric type of vehicle...

reverse Hydrolysis
Yes, but I hear little of burning it. Much less efficient, yes, but still under development. Don't hear much of it.
Old 10-02-2007, 12:00 PM   #36
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Oh, I'm not stuck on electricity alone. We have to come up with other ways to power our cars too....for sure. And I don't know what all could be done, but it's gotta be stable or *ka-boom*.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote