Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-06-2014, 01:35 PM   #1
Zub

Drives: 99 Camry
Living with a Camaro

So ive been driving a POS camry for awhile now and my dad trusts me enough to get me something a little bit nicer, and ive been pretty set on a infiniti g37 sedan. But ever since i was young i was a huge Camaro fan and imo they are better looking than some super cars. Going out and test driving one i really noticed how much the visibility sucks in the car not really out the side windows because i really only use my mirrors (looking out the window seems hazardous). The real visibility problem i had was when i was making a turn the entire curb went invisible and i had trouble judging the car when driving it if you get that? Seeing out the back seems like a problem too but i mainly park out in no where land so no one dings me anyways especially with a car like this. The bars were quite large too?

My question i have is dealing with that poor sight annoying would i be better off/safer getting a more practical car like the g37 with all the nice features? Is the look of the Camaro really worth these sacrifices in you guys opinions?

Man i wish the Camaro didnt look so amazing to my eyes......
Zub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 01:42 PM   #2
VOLmanTN
Go Vols!

Drives: 2011
It's not a sacrifice when I hit the unlock button to my camaro every morning.

I often find a lot of men driving luxury cars staring at my car more than anyone at stop lights.

Yes it is diffrent to drive because of the seating position but all muscle cars these days are similar. You learn to get used to it. And they have rim repair guys if you misjudge a turn every now and then.

I owned a g37 coupe and it is a great luxury driver. However, the camaro just looks so much better as you were saying.
VOLmanTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 01:43 PM   #3
Knockoutpie

Drives: 2014 2SS RS Coupe
I think i'm probably the only Camaro I've ever seen with small spot mirror on my side mirrors but it helps. Other than that I don't really notice how bad the sight is because I can see everything perfectly.

Lmao when I was in High School I told my mom I wanted a Camaro, she said "We'll think about it" I thought that meant she was going to buy me one... Well she didn't and the year after HS she said "why don't you buy something like a Camry or Impala?"

Made me laugh so hard that I just ended up buying a Camaro.

I've never even scuffed a tire.

But when I first owned my car I was backing out of a dead end with a girl in the car and I ran over the curb, terrified I got out and looked and I literally cleared everything, no scuffs. Felt like I was driving my truck again.
Old 07-06-2014, 01:47 PM   #4
Galts Disciple

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS (2SS, M6)
You will get used to it. Spend a few minutes to get your seat and mirrors positioned correctly and you will be surprised at the difference it makes.
Galts Disciple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 02:12 PM   #5
Destructo09

Drives: 2010 CGM Camaro 2SS/LS3
I agree it's an adjustment, but once you get used to the visibility you just learn to be a bit more mindful of the curbs and double check when changes lanes and such.

My camaro is my daily driver other than my Yamaha FZ1 and I quickly got used the visibility.
1LE rear sway bar
SRP Racing Pedals
Hurst Billet short shifter
Square tire/wheel setup
Elite Engineering Catch Can
Stainless Power longtubes/highflow cats
K&N Typhoon CAI
RPM Motorsports of Garner, NC dyno tune (421 RWHP)
Destructo09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 02:13 PM   #6
Muscle Car Memories

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1SS,6 Speed,NPP Exhaust
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zub View Post
So ive been driving a POS camry for awhile now and my dad trusts me enough to get me something a little bit nicer, and ive been pretty set on a infiniti g37 sedan. But ever since i was young i was a huge Camaro fan and imo they are better looking than some super cars. Going out and test driving one i really noticed how much the visibility sucks in the car not really out the side windows because i really only use my mirrors (looking out the window seems hazardous). The real visibility problem i had was when i was making a turn the entire curb went invisible and i had trouble judging the car when driving it if you get that? Seeing out the back seems like a problem too but i mainly park out in no where land so no one dings me anyways especially with a car like this. The bars were quite large too?

My question i have is dealing with that poor sight annoying would i be better off/safer getting a more practical car like the g37 with all the nice features? Is the look of the Camaro really worth these sacrifices in you guys opinions?

Get ya a SS Camaro and keep that Camry as a DD or winter time driver
Muscle Car Memories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 02:19 PM   #7
Baba

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT RS Convertible
Quote:

Regardless of why we purchased / leased a 5th Gen. Camaro, you should decided for yourself whether it is a vehicle you'll be comfortable with and believe you can safely handle, long-term. Depending upon how much you put down or whether you can pay it off quickly, you'll need to live with this car for a while.

Although the 2012-2014 have an available back-up camera, there are additional "visibility" and other concerns, as you pointed out.

The BEST way to find out whether the 5th Gen. Camaro might be a vehicle which you believe you will be able to safely drive, is to rent one for a week or two. Sure, it'll cost a bit of money, but not nearly as much as buying one and then not feeling safe in it because you don't feel you can safely drive it and either potentially being "stuck" with it or taking a huge loss trading it for another vehicle - depending on your financial situation, of course.

Keep in mind, THE first and foremost concern should always be your safety and that of your passengers as well as other drivers and pedestrians. If you're driving a vehicle which you're not comfortable driving for any reason, then you shouldn't be driving it.

As mentioned, consider renting one for a week or two. It may cost you a little money, but it'll certainly provide more insight into whether you believe it is a car for you without making a long-term commitment.
3 Pedals
Build Date: 06/27/2011

Purchased: 07/30/2011
Title Received: 08/15/2011

1984 Camaro (3rd Gen.): Traded: 1987

"Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss."
Baba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 02:21 PM   #8
Dan55

Drives: Intimidator camaro!
Also look into a model that has the backup camera installed, helps out a lot. Go into an open parking lot and practice parking. I also angle my passenger mirror down slightly so I can see the line on the road, so I know where I am in the lane at all times.
Old 07-06-2014, 02:22 PM   #9
Ksmoke

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LT/RS
It's not a sacrifice at all. It's just like with any car, you need to get used to driving it. Once you start driving more and more your blindspots, how much visibility you have becomes second nature. I wouldn't let an issue of visibility stop me from getting a car, let alone a camaro. You learn what you can do and what you can't plain and simple.
Ksmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 02:30 PM   #10
mariojmoe
Account Suspended

Drives: C7 Z06 manual, 18 Zl1 manual, etc
Lol, ok I will admit (a little hard) that I managed to scuff both of my right rims parking bc of mirror positioning. The blind spots are a bit** until you get used to them and appropriately adjust mirrors.
You most definitely WANT TO LOOK OVER YOUR SHOULDER when merging, never ever rely on just mirrors (in any vehicle) this comes with a bit of safe driving exp.

In my case op, i sucked a bit at first because I am used to driving a 2012 f250 diesel with a 6 inch lift and 37's. At work I drive an 18 wheeler with a 50 ft trailer, going from those to the ss was a leap. Outside of the performance I much rather drive the diesel than the ss bc of this.

If you are comparing a V8 to G37 sedan I'd go ss. If you are comlaring V6 to g37 I'd go g37 (its just my .02). Look at and drive both then make your decision.
mariojmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 02:35 PM   #11
jd10013

Drives: 2012 camaro
it's all in your head, the camaro has no blind spots. you just aren't adjusting your mirrors properly
jd10013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 02:55 PM   #12
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
Guys please read the whole thing:

Quote:

Question: What are these "bars" you talk about?
Old 07-06-2014, 03:02 PM   #13
Camarodriver2

Drives: FOR SALE! Bumblebee 1 of 1
A pillars are the bars. Any car with big hips and shoulders will need to get used to. It's your entry into every turn that must be correct - like driving a truck, you have to go well past the curb and then start to turn.

Try merging with these mirrors!
Attached Images

My 1 of 1 Bumblebee: Paint=House of Kolor Sunrise. Shaved door handles and concept handles added. Shark fin removed, concept mirrors, Showstoppers concept LED side marker lights. Wiper blades removed, muffler delete, and Range AFM disable. BMR springs lowered 1" rear and 1.4" front and added Eibach wheel spacers - 20mm rear and 25mm front.
Camarodriver2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 03:02 PM   #14
jcamaro37f

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2LT/RS
Quote:

I just drove my friends g37S. the only feature it has that my camaro doesn't is auto climate and proximity key. Otherwise, it's about the same. His car rattles like a tin can with 5k miles! He likes my camaro a lot but his gf didn't.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk