Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 04-13-2015, 09:33 AM   #29
Stew

Drives: 92 Luminadead/01 Dakota/97 F150 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by smarbrit View Post
Terrible tragedy for all involved. I can not imagine the pain the family feels, or those who tried to assist. There is no dollar amount that will ease that family's pain. The amount of the settlement is the only way to somewhat penalize those responsible. It's unfortunate there's no mention of criminal charges either. If Chrysler was offering settlements to others and was aware of the issue without fixing it, I'd say they are guilty of murder.
No GM fan has any room to talk. How many cars did GM hide with ignition issue and how many deaths did hat cause?
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 01:11 PM   #30
smarbrit

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew View Post
No GM fan has any room to talk. How many cars did GM hide with ignition issue and how many deaths did hat cause?
100% agree with you. My statements are not brand specific or loyalty based. Ford, GM, Toyota, etc., should be accountable for defects that cause deaths or serious injury. There's obviously more to this than simple statements and one cannot generalize the situation, but its unfortunate that this is what it takes to make changes.
smarbrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 01:30 PM   #31
Expunge

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6, '99 Tahoe 2Dr Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew View Post

And how many has Ford hid with thier ignition issues on the F150?
Expunge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 01:47 PM   #32
rocket403

Drives: 80 Cutlass 403, 2010 FF RT
This reminds me of the Pinto fire issue & the Chevy trucks with the side saddle gas tanks
rocket403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 01:51 PM   #33
72MachOne99GT
Anthrax Popcorn User

Drives: 2013 GT500
You know the brand loyalty battle is thickly ingrained when people are arguing about which manufacturer has killed more people.

This is a manufacturer vs customer battle, not GM vs Ford etc...

Stories like this one terrify me. I'm a pretty strong physically capable guy, but being a situation where I was physically unable to save someone (let alone your own child) would be devestating.
Quote:
...if you want to compare performance numbers, well, the GT500 retains it's title of the highest hp, worst performing car in the world.
72MachOne99GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 12:10 PM   #34
VADER SS L99

Drives: 2013 A6 GT 5.0
I think the mfg's, Chrysler or otherwise, owe way more than $150 million when something like this happens. People need to be held accontable. It shouldn't just hurt their pocket book. No amount of money, prosecution or shut down business can replace the loss of a child but it might give the families a little bit of justice to get the word out so it doesn't happen again. I wouldn't be surprised if EVERY major car mfg hasn't been guilty of this type of situation. The thing is most families settle and sign a non disclosure statement so that the incident never comes to light. I'm sure this family was advised it could be a very long time before they saw any money and if they settled they would receive more. I'm sure they said F' that we want to hurt them more by making this public. In today's court system all law suits are about settlement because of the time it takes, the cost to go to court and the final amount after all expenses that you will receive. Sad but true. My heart goes out to that family.

I think Tyler Durden said it best "The car crashes and burns with everyone trapped inside. Now, should we initiate a recall? Take the number of the vehicles in the field, A, multiply by the probable rate of failure, B, multiply by the average out-of-court settlement, C. A times B times C equals X. If X is less than a cost of a recall, we don't do one." Quote taken from a fictional character in a fictional movie but it doesn't mean its not true.
Old 04-17-2015, 02:28 AM   #35
TastyBake

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT/RS Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalimus View Post
I thought that was a little strange too. Certainly a design flaw attributed to the death, but the design flaw was not "could cause spontaneous combustion". Maybe because the drivers of both vehicles were uninjured?

This.

Guess the judge figured if it wasn't for the fire, everyone would have been perfectly fine and it would have been just a typical accident. Hence the 1%.

I just hope the child didn't suffer and passed out from smoke before it got worse. Gives me the chills.
TastyBake is offline   Reply With Quote