Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-30-2009, 05:34 PM   #1
VTXrider

Drives: 2010 RY 2SS/RS
Fritz Henderson's effect on Camaro's future?

Been a long time since I have been around. I let someone borrow the CTS and they totaled it. I ended up getting a GTO, I also work in Financial services so job is looking iffy. Anyway long story short, I can not get the Camaro this year so I stopped paying as much attention.

I was wondering everyones take on Fritz Henderson and what this might meen to the future of the Camaro, the Gen V engine, any "High Performance" edition in the future. Obviously right now the company is not in the position to put out a "HI-PO" Camaro but I am wondering what everyone take is on Henderson and what direction he will take the company. I am still hoping to buy a S/C Camaro Z-28 in 2010-2011. What are the chances? Or at least an SS with a Gev V v8.
VTXrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 05:43 PM   #2
OverAnxious

Drives: 1967 RS/SS L78 Coupe
Send a message via AIM to OverAnxious Send a message via Yahoo to OverAnxious
Fritz is an enthusiast himself.
It is a bit early to speculate on things like high performance cars, GM has already stated this type of development is on hold for the Camaro at least. They have much more important issues at hand than a SC Camaro.
OverAnxious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 05:48 PM   #3
VTXrider

Drives: 2010 RY 2SS/RS
I know the S/C Camaro is a long shot but it is good to hear an opinion on him as an enthusiast. I think getting back on track with the Gen V will make me happy.
VTXrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 05:53 PM   #4
Vash

Drives: 00 Blazer
Hard not to get political with a political question. Now one knows the future of the Obama Motor Company (Formerly known as General Motors).

He said they have not "Changed direction" fast enough and wants to lead the world in zero emissions cars (so fire the guy like a couple weeks away from rolling out first volt pre production testers).

I would think they would use the Camaro as an example of a HUGE GM mistake and want to get rid of performance models that waste gas and pollute just for your personal pleasures.
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 07:07 PM   #5
Camaro509

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS Black
I don't think his personal preferences as an 'enthusiast' will sway him from trying his best to get the General back in the black, at least not for the next
couple of years. If he is smart, he'll trim the fat and streamline production in the short-term, then when GM is back on more stable ground start offering
what in the future will be "smart, affordable, capable vehicles for the future";
what that means I don't think anyone knows at this point.

One thing is for sure, he can't toe the line and continue on as before, not if
he wants to keep his job and make GM a fiscally successful car company again.

Fold for team 11108 to help find a cure!
Folding@home Stanford's Research DC Program.
Camaro509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 07:09 PM   #6
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
One thing GM will not do is cancel product that makes a profit. As long as Camaro turns a profit for them, they will keep the car. And if it proves to have consistent, long term profit, they can justify adding another model to the mix off the profits it's already making (that's what you call investing into your product mix).
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 08:15 PM   #7
DarrenJ

Drives: '67 Camaro ZZ4 & 2010 IOM 2SS
Lets see...only happy if:

1) Runs on water.
2) Can recycle itself.
3) Spews Oxygen only from the tail-pipe.
4) Goes 0-60 in 12 days.
5) Is only painted light colors (and water-based paint).

Feel free to add any more...
DarrenJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 09:15 PM   #8
Silver Streak

Drives: 2008 Cobalt SS/TC
Send a message via AIM to Silver Streak Send a message via MSN to Silver Streak
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vash View Post
Hard not to get political with a political question. Now one knows the future of the Obama Motor Company (Formerly known as General Motors).

He said they have not "Changed direction" fast enough and wants to lead the world in zero emissions cars (so fire the guy like a couple weeks away from rolling out first volt pre production testers).

I would think they would use the Camaro as an example of a HUGE GM mistake and want to get rid of performance models that waste gas and pollute just for your personal pleasures.
Explain how this is a political question. I don't see it as one. Oh yeah I see, we can say it is political so we can insert our own politics on the situation!

"The future is in the windshield, not the rear-view mirror!"

"If you haven't gone a 175 mph on land, you haven't lived! That's just a fact!" - Ricky Bobby
Silver Streak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 09:20 PM   #9
Kyle2k
LVL 50 Troll Stomper

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vash View Post

How can you make that judgment? Are you the Messiah or something?

Old 03-30-2009, 09:33 PM   #10
Cmurf_SS
"SLOMARO"

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Wow, how quickly a good question turns to mudslinging. For people that dont like politics, we seem to act a lot like polititians, avoiding the issue and muddying the water with Opinons and no true hard facts to back them up. I do think that GM's future is questionable, thats why I am doing my part to help, by purchasing a New Camaro and hopefully a new G8 for the wife this fall. Do any of us know what's going to happen? Probly not, we didnt see this financial mess coming ( at least if we did, we ignored it). Otherwise, I look forward to GM developing what they always have. Affordable power to the masses.

:flag2:

Dyno'd before VARARAM TUNE unit at 390hp

Last edited by Cmurf_SS; 03-30-2009 at 10:11 PM.
Cmurf_SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 09:38 PM   #11
z06invb

Drives: 2001 Chevy Corvette Z06
I dont think he will have any effect. The fate of the Camaro and every other car and truck in the GM fleet is now in the hands of the US Government.

Not political...just simple reality.
z06invb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 09:44 PM   #12
rmyers

Drives: Both American Made
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmurf_SS View Post
Wow, how quickly a good question turns to mudslinging. For people that dont like politics, we seem to act a lot like polititians, avoiding the issue and muddying the water with Opinons and no true hard facts to back them up. I do think that GM's future is questionable, thats why I am doing my part to help, by purchasing a New Camaro and hopefully a new G8 for the wife this fall. Do any of us know what's going to happen? Probly not, we didnt see this financial mess coming ( at least if we did, we ignored it). Otherwise, I look forward to GM developing what they always have. Affordable power to the masses.

:flag2:
:5thgenvert:
Most of us on this forum do not know what is going on at GM or what will happen in the future. The internet takes speculation to the next level, where everyone with a keyboard gets to pose as an expert on a whole myriad of issues. Search the forums, any forums and you will find that many people speak with certainty about things they simply do not know as factual. I'm honest enough to admit that I am probably guilty of it as well.

2012 ZL1 #213 M6 Black on Black
2013 ZL1 #2638 Convertible Auto
2010 Chevrolet Suburban
2011 GMC Seirra HD Denali
rmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 09:57 PM   #13
67camaro99
Account Suspended

Drives: 67, 69, 99 +2010
So, the current GM leadership should have stayed, and continued to ask for OUR tax money? Please help me understand.
We can all speculate, but if R.W. did not have the "testies" to deal with the Unions, and get other concessions from vendors, them we need to get someone in there that can.
The auto industry belongs IN the United States, not in North America (Canada or Mexico), too many cars are being built outside our borders... Thats a fact...
My 67 Camaro was built in California, and my 69 in Norwood OH.
My 99 in Canada, as is my Impala, and my forth coming 2010 Camaro...
Lets hope we can build them, where we drive them!
67camaro99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 10:08 PM   #14
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67camaro99 View Post
So, the current GM leadership should have stayed, and continued to ask for OUR tax money? Please help me understand.
We can all speculate, but if R.W. did not have the "testies" to deal with the Unions, and get other concessions from vendors, them we need to get someone in there that can.
The auto industry belongs IN the United States, not in North America (Canada or Mexico), too many cars are being built outside our borders... Thats a fact...
My 67 Camaro was built in California, and my 69 in Norwood OH.
My 99 in Canada, as is my Impala, and my forth coming 2010 Camaro...
Lets hope we can build them, where we drive them!
Wagoner did more to turn GM around than any other CEO. He's the one that got union wages competitive with non union workers (think about that for a while, and you'll see how amazing it is!) and downsized the company. There's only so much you can do when the government is subsidizing your foreign competitors, siding with the union, and preventing you from changing to align with the market due to poorly conceived franchise laws. Not bad, all things considered.

Also, funny how no one cares that the banks execs are keeping their jobs. We only want to punish the auto industry.

And what is wrong with Canadian built cars? Oshawa is one of the top rated GM plants. They make high quality stuff. I'm glad those fine workers are building my Camaro. And if Canadians are working, they can buy stuff, including products that are made in America or are supported by American jobs.

Anyway, I want to know more on Henderson. Can we get more detail?

There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
shining at the end of every day
There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
Just a dream away
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote