Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 04-11-2019, 08:30 AM   #1
jbliss

Drives: Camaro ss 2010
OBX Headers - Straight pipe - with mufflers

Hey everyone,

First time posting. I'm looking at getting a set of used OBX Headers my buddy has. My only concern is that they're off road and I already have no resonators and no mufflers so it would be really loud and I daily drive my camaro.

What I'm thinking of doing is putting the headers on, but also putting the stock mufflers back on to take some of the drone and noise out so it's still loud, but not too loud to where it gets annoying to daily drive.

My question is has anyone done this or have any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.
jbliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 09:37 AM   #2
PepeLePew

Drives: 2010 2SS Coupe; 2011 2LT Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbliss View Post
Hey everyone,

First time posting. I'm looking at getting a set of used OBX Headers my buddy has. My only concern is that they're off road and I already have no resonators and no mufflers so it would be really loud and I daily drive my camaro.

What I'm thinking of doing is putting the headers on, but also putting the stock mufflers back on to take some of the drone and noise out so it's still loud, but not too loud to where it gets annoying to daily drive.

Thanks in advance.
I have a very similar setup. I run TSP long tube headers with offroad connection pipes through GM Performance mufflers (basically stock but a little more aggressive). Mine is an LS3 manual and still has the factory resonators on as well though. I also have a stage 2 TSP cam. You can definitely tell it isnt stock but it is still very quiet at idle and while driving under partial throttle. In fact, it was so quiet, I decided to put on some electric cutouts right behind the Offroad connection pipes... now it's like jekyll and hyde.
PepeLePew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 09:50 AM   #3
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
First off welcome to the forums!! What part of MO are you from?

As for your question, OBX headers are a good middle of the road header. You car will likely be pretty darn loud. Depending on how loud is too loud to you will depend on whether or not you'll like it or not. Catless exhaust has more rasp than an exhaust with cats. It will also have an unburned fuel smell because you don't have any cats removing the extra fuel.

Do you have an automatic or manual car? Manual cars are less likely to drone simply because of the lack of AFM/DOD. Push comes to shove, give Solo Performance a shout and order some J pipes to eliminate the drone.
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 10:40 AM   #4
gtstorey

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS2,L99, LSA SC
I have Speed engineering header, no cats, x pipe and stock mufflers. It's pretty quiet until about 2000 rpm, and then gets quite a bit louder. It had little bullet mufflers on it when I did the headers and cat delete and was way to loud for my taste. Added the stock mufflers back on and it made a big difference.
gtstorey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 02:47 PM   #5
jbliss

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtstorey View Post
I have Speed engineering header, no cats, x pipe and stock mufflers. It's pretty quiet until about 2000 rpm, and then gets quite a bit louder. It had little bullet mufflers on it when I did the headers and cat delete and was way to loud for my taste. Added the stock mufflers back on and it made a big difference.
That would be very similar to my setup then! Is there any highway drone with the stock mufflers on?
Old 04-11-2019, 02:49 PM   #6
jbliss

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyroguy View Post
First off welcome to the forums!! What part of MO are you from?

As for your question, OBX headers are a good middle of the road header. You car will likely be pretty darn loud. Depending on how loud is too loud to you will depend on whether or not you'll like it or not. Catless exhaust has more rasp than an exhaust with cats. It will also have an unburned fuel smell because you don't have any cats removing the extra fuel.

Do you have an automatic or manual car? Manual cars are less likely to drone simply because of the lack of AFM/DOD. Push comes to shove, give Solo Performance a shout and order some J pipes to eliminate the drone.
Thanks man! From the KC area.

I have a manual. Thanks for the advice! I never thought of that. I'm mostly concerned about highway drone, which my car has a little bit of already because of the no resonators and mufflers.
Old 04-11-2019, 02:59 PM   #7
jbliss

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepeLePew View Post
I have a very similar setup. I run TSP long tube headers with offroad connection pipes through GM Performance mufflers (basically stock but a little more aggressive). Mine is an LS3 manual and still has the factory resonators on as well though. I also have a stage 2 TSP cam. You can definitely tell it isnt stock but it is still very quiet at idle and while driving under partial throttle. In fact, it was so quiet, I decided to put on some electric cutouts right behind the Offroad connection pipes... now it's like jekyll and hyde.
Thanks for sharing, that's an awesome setup man. That's the best of both worlds! I think I'm gonna start with the mufflers off and go from there.
Old 04-11-2019, 03:11 PM   #8
pyroguy

Quote:
Thanks man! From the KC area.

I have a manual. Thanks for the advice! I never thought of that. I'm mostly concerned about highway drone, which my car has a little bit of already because of the no resonators and mufflers.
Cool, I'm on the other side of I-70 in the STL area.

I don't blame you for being concerned about drone. When I bought my car it had some cheap mufflers welded in that droned something fierce! As soon as I could I bought Solo Mach XL catback and the car drove like it was stock on the highway. Of course when I got on it the car screamed like hell. Solo's system is essentially a muffler delete with J pipes and the Mach XL catback has a muffled x pipe and they have another one for manual cars that don't have the muffler on the x pipe. Good luck with your choices. Post a sound clip when you get everything installed! If you need any tips on long tube header install give me a shout. I'm not a regular shop, but I've installed a couple sets and I researched the hell out of the install before installing mine.
Old 04-11-2019, 03:46 PM   #9
jbliss

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyroguy View Post
Cool, I'm on the other side of I-70 in the STL area.

I don't blame you for being concerned about drone. When I bought my car it had some cheap mufflers welded in that droned something fierce! As soon as I could I bought Solo Mach XL catback and the car drove like it was stock on the highway. Of course when I got on it the car screamed like hell. Solo's system is essentially a muffler delete with J pipes and the Mach XL catback has a muffled x pipe and they have another one for manual cars that don't have the muffler on the x pipe. Good luck with your choices. Post a sound clip when you get everything installed! If you need any tips on long tube header install give me a shout. I'm not a regular shop, but I've installed a couple sets and I researched the hell out of the install before installing mine.
Right on! I may have to check that out depending on how this goes! lol. But I'll for sure post a before and after video.

I may shoot a couple questions your way. I've never installed headers before, but after looking at a couple past forum posts and it seems like it isn't too too bad for the 5th gen Camaro. Any tips or links to info you have would be greatly appreciated though!
Old 04-11-2019, 09:11 PM   #10
pyroguy

Installing headers on a 5th gen Camaro is a breeze. Spray some PB Blaster on the O2 sensors the night before and again before starting. When removing the oil dip stick tube be careful to take note exactly where it goes back because it's a bear to get back in. While the driver's side header can be installed by yourself, it helps to have an extra set of hands either on top or on bottom positioning the header or starting the bolts. The passenger side is kind of tough. Torque the bolts down starting from the middle of the block and working your way out alternating sides as you go first to 10 ft/lbs then 18 ft/lbs. After a full heat cycle torque the bolts down again to 18 ft/lbs. Also, use either your original manifold gasket or buy some new GM gaskets. They're the best to use vs the aftermarket gaskets.

I hope these tips help in your install.
Old 04-11-2019, 09:56 PM   #11
sixty9fordkiller
Donkey Dick Cam Camaro

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3 M6
advice i give errr body:

When you do the headers, get (2) M8 studs from a hardware store so that you can screw them into the head and hang the gaskets to hold them in place while you run the headers up from under the car and guide you in getting the header in place and hang it on those studs as well long enough to be able to get your new header bolts on

Bone Stock
sixty9fordkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 08:35 AM   #12
gtstorey

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS2,L99, LSA SC
Quote:
That would be very similar to my setup then! Is there any highway drone with the stock mufflers on?
No highway drone.
gtstorey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 09:22 AM   #13
PepeLePew

Drives: 2010 2SS Coupe; 2011 2LT Vert
Pyroguy and Sixty9fordkiller are spot on with their advice. Follow those tips and you will have no problem with installation and you'll be maintenance free with no leaks afterwards.

Good luck with the install and if you have problems along the way, let us know. Some folks experience minor clearance issues or like me, have stuck plug wires that get damaged. You may also run into plug wires or AC hoses touching headers tubes. A good set of Taylor or MSD wires and some fire sleeves will keep your spark alive and you may need to pull the drivers side AC hose out of the way as much as possible. And if you are unlucky like me with stuck plug wires, I have some tips in my youtube videos about how to get those off.

Have fun with the install, you are going to love the results!!!
PepeLePew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 09:58 AM   #14
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Quote:
Hey everyone,

Thanks in advance.
I would install a resonated Magnaflow x pipe and leave the stock mufflers off. Drone comes from mufflers just so you know.
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote