Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 08-16-2010, 12:19 AM   #43
wbt
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Challenger R/T;2011 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMansCamaro View Post
Good stuff!

does the 15 and 11 stand for screen size? if so, i don't know how you can play games on such small screens. lol I almost opted for the m15x tho.
Yes. I don't play games so much anymore. I fell into the WoW hole for a couple of years.

I spend my time on work which requires me to run multiple virtual machines. The m11x is perfect for that and if I ever get the itch to play something again, I have enough to get it done.
wbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 12:45 AM   #44
2ndgenz28
Thread Killer

Drives: All Black
Send a message via ICQ to 2ndgenz28 Send a message via AIM to 2ndgenz28 Send a message via Yahoo to 2ndgenz28
What bugs me about new PC is member the mhz wars?

once we reached 1000, the race was over, now several years later new fancy machines are still under 4ghz, we should have 12ghz machines by now in cheap PCs.

Yea I know they go on n on about multi core, speed stepping and bla bla bla
all excuesses to not ramp up the ghz to the next lvl as they stopped racing each other.
2ndgenz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 01:27 AM   #45
wbt
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndgenz28 View Post
What bugs me about new PC is member the mhz wars?

once we reached 1000, the race was over, now several years later new fancy machines are still under 4ghz, we should have 12ghz machines by now in cheap PCs.

Yea I know they go on n on about multi core, speed stepping and bla bla bla
all excuesses to not ramp up the ghz to the next lvl as they stopped racing each other.
Understand that the processor is not the bottleneck in a computer's performance today. The slowest subsystem today is storage. I.E. harddrive.

What you are seeing in machines today that was not possible a few years ago is parallel processing. More physical cores per processor. I.E. 2, 3, 6, 8, 12 core processors are on the market at this moment. This is the equivalent to running several physical processors in your machine several years ago. Processing capacity has increased 10 fold.

Storage subsystems are progressing and may even merge with memory subsystems in the not so distant future. Another leap in computing capacity.

None of this takes into account biometric computing which is on the near horizon too.

We live in an exciting time and as long as we don't destroy ourselves, the next 100 years will be the most prominent time in the existence of the human race.

A bit "outside of the box" thinking but this is where we are headed.
Old 08-16-2010, 01:28 AM   #46
CamaroMiami

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS LS3, 92 Camaro RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMansCamaro View Post
Well, I pulled the trigger on a new computer.

Here's the specs...

Intel Core i3 530 2.93GHz (4MB Cache)
4GB Dual Channel DDR3 at 1333MHz (2x2)
Single ATI 5670, 1GB GDDR5
500GB - SATA-II 3Gb/s 7200RPM, 16MB Cache HDD
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium, 64bit, English
Single Drive: 24X CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW) w/double layer write capability
NERO 9, ANW
Integrated 7.1 Channel Audio
Alienware High-Performance Liquid Cooling
LOL My system leaves yours in the dust without trying:
Check this out:
CPU (make/speed): Intel i7 Processor Extreme Edition 3.33 stock (overclocked to 4.0 (and can go higher))
Motherboard: X58i
Memory (make/speed):Corsair DDR3-1600 8 GB (4X2GB)
PSU: Ultra X4 1600-Watt Modular Power Supply
Video: GeForce GTX 480 (SLI -2x)
Case:Thermatake (the best for my setup)
Hard drives:2TB (4x500 @ 7200rpm)
Optical Drives: Pioneer BDR-2205 Blu-Ray Burner (2 of these)
Cooling: Water Cooling - CPU and Grphic cards (Danger Dens hardware)
Monitor: Asus MT276HE 27" LCD Monitor 1920 x 1080 - 2 ms - 0.311 mm - 50000:1 - Black
Speakers: Logitech Z-5500
CamaroMiami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 01:38 AM   #47
2ndgenz28
Thread Killer

Drives: All Black
Send a message via ICQ to 2ndgenz28 Send a message via AIM to 2ndgenz28 Send a message via Yahoo to 2ndgenz28
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbt View Post
More physical cores per processor. I.E. 2, 3, 6, 8, 12 core processors are on the market at this moment.
Can they be deligated as good or better then a real dual CPU machine?

When it was still revelant and speedy, I never had a better PC then when I had a dual 1000mhz CPU PC.

1 for system, 1 for games
2ndgenz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 01:49 AM   #48
wbt
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndgenz28 View Post
Can they be deligated as good or better then a real dual CPU machine?

When it was still revelant and speedy, I never had a better PC then when I had a dual 1000mhz CPU PC.

1 for system, 1 for games
Windows 7 will allow you to set the processor affinity (which processor a service runs on) and priority via task manager.
Old 08-16-2010, 02:50 AM   #49
8cd03gro

Drives: 2005 STi corn fed
Quote:
Originally Posted by DayDreamer View Post
Nice machine, just got slammed by my wife today b/c I want to replace my 4yr old model, which is a 2.6 dual core, with a 1gb video card...not sure on the specs, haven't opened it in awhile but yeah. She told me if I get a new computer, I will be living on the couch...so I will just deal with it for a little while longer.

Sounds like you have a nice machine...just don't taint it with WoW, I am a 4 year recovering wowcaholic. It's a dark path, very dark, and very lonely, and smells of hotpockets and Totstino's pizzas.
Why play wow when starcraft 2 is out? wow is for fat losers. Starcraft is for skinny losers that are slightly cooler, like myself.
8cd03gro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 09:12 AM   #50
Steve Dallas
Commits weekly crime

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroMiami View Post
LOL My system leaves yours in the dust without trying:
Check this out:
CPU (make/speed): Intel i7 Processor Extreme Edition 3.33 stock (overclocked to 4.0 (and can go higher))
Motherboard: X58i
Memory (make/speed):Corsair DDR3-1600 8 GB (4X2GB)
PSU: Ultra X4 1600-Watt Modular Power Supply
Video: GeForce GTX 480 (SLI -2x)
Case:Thermatake (the best for my setup)
Hard drives:2TB (4x500 @ 7200rpm)
Optical Drives: Pioneer BDR-2205 Blu-Ray Burner (2 of these)
Cooling: Water Cooling - CPU and Grphic cards (Danger Dens hardware)
Monitor: Asus MT276HE 27" LCD Monitor 1920 x 1080 - 2 ms - 0.311 mm - 50000:1 - Black
Speakers: Logitech Z-5500
Just remember, there's always someone out there with a computer that will blow yours away too.
Old 08-16-2010, 09:26 AM   #51
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbt View Post
Understand that the processor is not the bottleneck in a computer's performance today. The slowest subsystem today is storage. I.E. harddrive.

What you are seeing in machines today that was not possible a few years ago is parallel processing. More physical cores per processor. I.E. 2, 3, 6, 8, 12 core processors are on the market at this moment. This is the equivalent to running several physical processors in your machine several years ago. Processing capacity has increased 10 fold.

Storage subsystems are progressing and may even merge with memory subsystems in the not so distant future. Another leap in computing capacity.

None of this takes into account biometric computing which is on the near horizon too.

We live in an exciting time and as long as we don't destroy ourselves, the next 100 years will be the most prominent time in the existence of the human race.

A bit "outside of the box" thinking but this is where we are headed.
Most important part is highlighted. Cranking up the speed more and more wasn't affecting the true bottlenecks of a multitasking operating system. That if you ask it to do more than one thing (especially if its complex) at a time it slows down significantly by splitting the power between everything. It started with GPUs on video cards for gaming and prior to that CAD/CAM, offloading the graphic needs to a separate processor. Now multi core processors allow a power user or gamer to do multiple complex tasks with no slowdown. So the individual task can have the full attention of a CPU.

Exciting times indeed!
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD LT 6.0 - Tow Vehicle
1991 Alfa Romeo 164S - Project Car
1994 Volkswagen Golf - Race Car

"Like" my race team on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/farfrumwinnin
Rogue Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 09:42 AM   #52
Havok

Drives: 2010 IBM 2LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Leader View Post
Most important part is highlighted. Cranking up the speed more and more wasn't affecting the true bottlenecks of a multitasking operating system. That if you ask it to do more than one thing (especially if its complex) at a time it slows down significantly by splitting the power between everything. It started with GPUs on video cards for gaming and prior to that CAD/CAM, offloading the graphic needs to a separate processor. Now multi core processors allow a power user or gamer to do multiple complex tasks with no slowdown. So the individual task can have the full attention of a CPU.

Exciting times indeed!
Cranking up the speed was being harder, thats the main reason they started to do multicores. The reason for this is, the faster you are pushing data the hotter the CPU got therefore you needed a good cooling system (or your processor would melt), and even that is limited. Therefore they had to switch over to more processors. Thats why your multicore processors still are only ~3ghz at the highest. Because that is like the best you are going to get before you see highly diminishing returns.

Most games currently still don't utilize multicores, though more and more of them are starting to. The only things that multicores will help you with is encoding and doing graphical work (which deals with encoding).

Cloud computing will be next. I've seen a lot of companies putting some of their stuff online. Google new OS deals with this, in that you get a basic shell of an OS, but all the stuff like word, excel, photos, etc. are done online through their Googledocs and other various software. Basically everything is kept online, and makes it easier to access it from any location that has access to the internet. Even Microsoft is talking about putting their Word package online. And I've even heard of gaming companies have it to where you connect to their server, and any game that you want (for a fee) on their server. So instead of having it stored locally its stored on a server and you access that server to play. However, in the USA the internet structure is pretty crappy and would have to be redone in order to get the speeds needed for this to be better than having the game stored locally.
Havok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 10:02 AM   #53
CamaroMiami

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Dallas View Post
Just remember, there's always someone out there with a computer that will blow yours away too.
Yes you are correct, just like cars and hot rods.

Have you noticed, people keep modding, searching for that sweet hot spot HP/Tq gain or that unique cosmetic?

Computers are the same as hot rod cars to computer builders.
Old 08-16-2010, 02:16 PM   #54
wbt
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havok View Post
Cloud computing will be next. I've seen a lot of companies putting some of their stuff online. Google new OS deals with this, in that you get a basic shell of an OS, but all the stuff like word, excel, photos, etc. are done online through their Googledocs and other various software. Basically everything is kept online, and makes it easier to access it from any location that has access to the internet. Even Microsoft is talking about putting their Word package online. And I've even heard of gaming companies have it to where you connect to their server, and any game that you want (for a fee) on their server. So instead of having it stored locally its stored on a server and you access that server to play. However, in the USA the internet structure is pretty crappy and would have to be redone in order to get the speeds needed for this to be better than having the game stored locally.
Indeed. This and HPCC are my specialities. Specifically in the Linux realm.
Old 08-16-2010, 04:59 PM   #55
WadeWilson
How U Doin?

Drives: 2014 CTS-V Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Dallas View Post
WadeWilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 06:14 PM   #56
CamaroMiami

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Dallas

Don't someone have to win and someone(s) has to lose in any competition event(s).

Some of you in here don't get it. (respectfully)

The CPU clock can be increased by the user (including multi-threaded processors).
The Graphic cards (2 or 3) can be combined to work as one continuous graphic card (SLi) and the their speeds can be increased in more than one way.
The memory speed can be increased beyond stock and the timing can be changed,.
The voltage to some components can be changed to increased speed.
***The FSB (Front Side Bus) (I like to think of as the Highway speed and width) can be increased to allow a larger flow of increased data.***

Dang, the list is long , so I won't give a lesson here but when a person goes to the track,
what is their reason? - Why do they race?.