Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-25-2019, 12:53 PM   #15
67 to 91 to 13

Drives: 2013 Inferno Orange Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeinmobile View Post
This is correct. While all late model SS Camaros have V-8s, Chevy made and sold SS's W/6cylinders back in the day. The SS was a cooler trim package (rims, gauges, badges etc) and what engine you chose was irrelevant.
I am not aware of Chevy ever making a SS with a V6.
They RS could have a V6
Old 04-25-2019, 05:39 PM   #16
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
RS is a trim package.

SS is a Camaro with a V8.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 08:52 PM   #17
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
Quote:
This is correct. While all late model SS Camaros have V-8s, Chevy made and sold SS's W/6cylinders back in the day. The SS was a cooler trim package (rims, gauges, badges etc) and what engine you chose was irrelevant.
What year/generation had a V6 SS? I'm not aware of any Camaro to ever have a factory SS badge and anything other than a V8.
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 09:17 PM   #18
91Zman

Drives: '13 1SS/RS IOM white stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyroguy View Post
What year/generation had a V6 SS? I'm not aware of any Camaro to ever have a factory SS badge and anything other than a V8.
not Camaros..... 1st gen Novas
91Zman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 09:22 PM   #19
Welker2
Ret AF, cancer survivor

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS & 2006 Corvette
Quote:

Based on everything I've read and in doing a little historical research on the Camaro, don't believe Chevy ever produced an SS with a V6. The 'SS' has always been a performance package that included the V8 'upgrade' and the 'RS' has always been the trim package for the Camaro.
Old 04-25-2019, 10:07 PM   #20
pyroguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91Zman View Post
not Camaros..... 1st gen Novas
I thought early 1st gen Nova/Chevy II's that were SS cars had either a 283 or 327.
Old 04-26-2019, 10:51 AM   #21
mikeinmobile

Drives: 2011 2ss/rs
My original post was based upon reading info from a magazine 20 yrs ago but it stuck in my head over the years and I finally saw a 6 banger SS at a car show a few yrs ago (blue chevy 2). Assumed that this continued over the yrs since they make SS Monte Carlos w/6 bangers. Definitely haven't found any info on a v6 Camaro SS.

Found this on the web. These were the original SS models from Chevy.

For 1963, the Chevy II Nova Super Sport was released, under RPO Z03.[5] It featured special emblems, instrument package, wheel covers, side moldings, bucket seats, and floor shifter, and was available only on the 400 series sport coupe and convertible.[5] Cost of the package was US$161.40, equal to $1,320.85 today.[6] As mentioned above, the Nova option could not officially have V8 engines at this time—the standard SS engine was the six-cylinder (this was also applicable to the Impala (and later the early Chevelle c. 1964–65) when the SS was a sport and appearance package)—but small-block V8 engine swaps were commonplace among enthusiasts.
Old 04-26-2019, 11:19 AM   #22
pyroguy

Quote:
My original post was based upon reading info from a magazine 20 yrs ago but it stuck in my head over the years and I finally saw a 6 banger SS at a car show a few yrs ago (blue chevy 2). Assumed that this continued over the yrs since they make SS Monte Carlos w/6 bangers. Definitely haven't found any info on a v6 Camaro SS.

Found this on the web. These were the original SS models from Chevy.

For 1963, the Chevy II Nova Super Sport was released, under RPO Z03.[5] It featured special emblems, instrument package, wheel covers, side moldings, bucket seats, and floor shifter, and was available only on the 400 series sport coupe and convertible.[5] Cost of the package was US$161.40, equal to $1,320.85 today.[6] As mentioned above, the Nova option could not officially have V8 engines at this time—the standard SS engine was the six-cylinder (this was also applicable to the Impala (and later the early Chevelle c. 1964–65) when the SS was a sport and appearance package)—but small-block V8 engine swaps were commonplace among enthusiasts.
Well I learned something new about the classic SS cars, specifically the Novas. However, you are correct in the early 2000's cars. I forgot about the time that Chevy went SS crazy and badged anything they could with a SS and there were Impala/Monte Carlos SS cars with 3.8L supercharged V6's and Cobalts with supercharged I-4's or turboed I-4's depending on the year. I was thinking more muscle car for the SS. To the best of my knowledge a Camaro has never had anything under a V8 for the SS model.