Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 09-07-2013, 04:01 PM   #1
Camaro2ss2013

Drives: 2013 2SS Camaro
Test drove a ZL1 today

I know I'm going to get flamed for this post but its my honest opinion. I found a good deal on a new 2013 Camaro ZL1 (30 miles on it) so i went to go look at it. When I pulled up a salesman came out and said yea we have it here its around back getting washed. Long story short he brought it around and threw the keys at me and said lets go for a ride. When I got in I said I'm going to put it through its paces. He looked at me laughed and said drive it how you want. I turned the traction control off and right out of the lot I had a quarter mile to the light with no one around so I floored it and ran through the gears. I was expecting to be pushed back in the seat and have perma grin from the extra horses. Instead it was a total let down. It didn't feel like it had much more power than my SS. We then took it around some corners with speed and I could tell that the suspension was better than my SS but not all that much. If I could have tracked the car my opinion may have been different. We were on a public road so I could only push it so far. I did like the transmission that was in the car. It just felt better changing gears and was a lot shorter shifts than my SS. Needless to say I went to test drive it with all intentions of trading mine in on it but I left with my SS.
Camaro2ss2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 04:05 PM   #2
06_warrior

Drives: 2012 1SS LS3 M6 black on black :)
Details...... Color, options? I'm assuming it was a manual. There is one in my hometown that is slightly used with 900 miles but didn't care for the color or the automatic trans.
06_warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 04:18 PM   #3
Camaro2ss2013

Drives: 2013 2SS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06_warrior View Post
Details...... Color, options? I'm assuming it was a manual. There is one in my hometown that is slightly used with 900 miles but didn't care for the color or the automatic trans.
Victory Red, Manual, Sunroof, Nav, Microfiber Package
Camaro2ss2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 04:20 PM   #4
Bad@ssCamaro
BeckyD Rocks :-)

Drives: 2015 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro2ss2013 View Post
Victory Red, Manual, Sunroof, Nav, Microfiber Package
Don't forget, it probably had low grade fuel and it still needed to be broken in to get it's full potential. Nice SS by the way.

Bad@ssCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 04:32 PM   #5
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
I had to read the manual. GM is actually so stupid to allow you to put 87 in a supercharged engine with a compression ratio to high to run 87 without the sc.
Was there any pinging?
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 04:39 PM   #6
shank0668

Drives: '14 LML/'06 LJ/'76 Trans Am
Having driven a ZL1 and a SS from the same place under same conditions... I can say the ZL1 does certainly feel a lot faster than an SS. It is possible it could be 87, actually very likely.
shank0668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 04:54 PM   #7
cornerspeed92

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE
They wouldn't put 87 in from the factory, right?
Old 09-07-2013, 04:55 PM   #8
Bad@ssCamaro
BeckyD Rocks :-)

Drives: 2015 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornerspeed92 View Post
They wouldn't put 87 in from the factory, right?
No, but at the Dealership they would

Bad@ssCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 04:58 PM   #9
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
my dealership would. They told me if the gas cap doesn't say 91 they will put 87 in it. Even after I told them 3 times NOT to put 87 in it they filled my SS with it. They should put 91 or higher on the gas cap. My 6.2l Silverado had a label on the fuel door 91 or higher but they put 87 in that too.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 05:03 PM   #10
1sikss

Drives: 2011 camaro ss
i raced a stock auto zl1 wit my ss and wasn't impressed either not for the extra 15k+ but there still fast for being stock but my ss would be even faster supercharged lol.. but to everyone there own if i could of i probably would of got one I'm not gonna lie lol
1sikss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 05:10 PM   #11
Secret Squirrel

Drives: 1965 Chevelle Malibu
I posted this same type of post a couple months ago and got a lot of the "you're just jealous because you can't afford one" comments. I had the exact same experience that you just described. I was told there was 93 octane in it, but who really knows? The only legitimate argument I heard was that it hadn't been properly broken in yet (understandable). Either way, fast...yes. Fast enough to justify 20k more than my 490rwhp SS after a few k in mods...not even close. Beautiful cars, and I would love to have one, don't get me wrong, but not worth that much more money IMO.
Old 09-07-2013, 05:11 PM   #12
cornerspeed92

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE
Well i know for sure nobody put 87 in mine then.I was there when she was delivered,and in fact they never even took it on the road test.I drove her home a few hours later.
Attached Images

Old 09-07-2013, 05:14 PM   #13
1sikss

Drives: 2011 camaro ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel View Post
I posted this same type of post a couple months ago and got a lot of the "you're just jealous because you can't afford one" comments. I had the exact same experience that you just described. I was told there was 93 octane in it, but who really knows? The only legitimate argument I heard was that it hadn't been properly broken in yet (understandable). Either way, fast...yes. Fast enough to justify 20k more than my 490rwhp SS after a few k in mods...not even close. Beautiful cars, and I would love to have one, don't get me wrong, but not worth that much more money IMO.
yea a lot of zl1 owners get like that lol specialy wen i posted about beating one lmao wit long tubes exhaust and a super chip.. but its just the truth even the person in the zl1 gave me props they like my car a lot he had just traded his ss cause it wasn't fast enough so I'm glad i won they kinda were like dam didn't think an ss could move like that of course he had his ss tune only i think... al though there zl1 was stock but still its 580hp... i might be pushing 420ish to the crank wit the super chip...
1sikss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 07:08 PM   #14
Rabamaro

Drives: 2010 ABM SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sikss View Post
yea a lot of zl1 owners get like that lol specialy wen i posted about beating one lmao wit long tubes exhaust and a super chip.. but its just the truth even the person in the zl1 gave me props they like my car a lot he had just traded his ss cause it wasn't fast enough so I'm glad i won they kinda were like dam didn't think an ss could move like that of course he had his ss tune only i think... al though there zl1 was stock but still its 580hp... i might be pushing 420ish to the crank wit the super chip...

Huh?
Vararam Tune CAI, Vararam Power Wedge, 160 degree stat, VMax ported throttle body, Ceramic coated ARH 1 7/8" LTs with X-pipe, Borla S-Type Axle back, MGW short throw, 3.91s, Ported stock IM, BTR Stage IV cam, Heritage Grille, Backup camera, UMI Performance trailing arms and toe rods, dyno tune
Rabamaro is offline   Reply With Quote