Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 10-05-2017, 11:25 AM   #1
Zena

Drives: 2015 Camaro ZL1
New ZL1 Owner. Issues Already!!!!

Hello Everyone,

I just made the conversion to the muscle car community a few weeks ago. First let me say that for what it is, this is a very impressive machine. Coming from an M5, to me that speaks volume. It's a 2015 ZL1 15XXX miles, $40,000. It has painted CF insert, nav, backup cam, heated standard seats with ZL1 stitching (or at least I think they are standard) no sunroof. Car was not stock as it has brand new PSS cup 2's all around, 325 rear, 305 front, ARP front splitter, ROTOFAB intake, Elite catch can, maybe other things that I'm not aware of yet. The car ran like a champ up until a few days ago. It started hesitating at WOT and went into Stab-trac/Reduced Power mode. Codes read p0068, p0101, p0102, and p1101. I changed out the MAF, disconnected the battery for an hour, cleaned the air filter, checked the MAP sensor. I'm out of ideas. Can anyone help????
Attached Images

Zena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 11:44 AM   #2
JB'sZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 and 2019 Ram Laramie
Firstly: welcome to the forum!

It's under warranty at 2 years old with 15,XXX miles: take it to the dealer.
JB'sZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 11:54 AM   #3
2thousand2

Drives: 1997 Camaro SS
Could be the throttle body, the codes are related to throttle position correlation to actual airflow metered. It sounds like you have the initial items to check covered. Would recommend dealer for proper diagnosis.
Attached Images

2thousand2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 11:59 AM   #4
Zena

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB'sZL1 View Post
Firstly: welcome to the forum!

It's under warranty at 2 years old with 15,XXX miles: take it to the dealer.

Well I tried that approach and have owned enough cars to know that if it's not stock, the dealership won't touch it. They tried to get me to buy an entirely new stock intake system because of the after market one that is currently on there at which they quoted at $900 plus labor, which is abdurd

Just looking to see if I can adsorb some tribal knowledge from owners who could have potentially experienced a similar situation.
Old 10-05-2017, 12:05 PM   #5
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
MAF sensor and TB is where I would start....
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 12:17 PM   #6
JB'sZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 and 2019 Ram Laramie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zena View Post
Well I tried that approach and have owned enough cars to know that if it's not stock, the dealership won't touch it. They tried to get me to buy an entirely new stock intake system because of the after market one that is currently on there at which they quoted at $900 plus labor, which is abdurd

Just looking to see if I can adsorb some tribal knowledge from owners who could have potentially experienced a similar situation.
If you do not have the oem intake, you may do well to purchase a used one. Install it then take it to the dealer.

As stated already those codes all have to do with the MAF. I would check that and all the connections (and consider an oem intake).
JB'sZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 12:26 PM   #7
Dega Man

Drives: ZL1
you might try unplugging the MAF sensor connector and the ECM also. A friend of mines SS did the same thing and He did this and the problem have not returned. Also one dealership will help where another one will not, so you might try another dealer as well to save yourself time and money. Also very good looking ZL!
Dega Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 12:27 PM   #8
Zena

Thanks everyone for your input. I will look into picking up a stock intake system and applying it so that the dealership can actually find out what the cause is. Hope it's nothing to worry about.
Old 10-05-2017, 12:29 PM   #9
ZMEnow

Drives: ZL1, 2013, tri-coat-red, manual
Make sure you have no leaks on the CAI tube, since you checked the filer I am not going to ask you to do it again. You said you put in a new MAF sensor? the P68 indicates the indicated load does not match the expected load and throttle position.
The P1011 The MAF, MAP, SC inlet pressure and TP sensors are not within range of the calculated airflow.

If you have replaced the MAF with new then verify you are getting full temp on engine temp as a stuck ECT or IAT sensor will product both codes.
ZMEnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 12:29 PM   #10
Zena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dega Man View Post
you might try unplugging the MAF sensor connector and the ECM also. A friend of mines SS did the same thing and He did this and the problem have not returned. Also one dealership will help where another one will not, so you might try another dealer as well to save yourself time and money. Also very good looking ZL!
If you don't mind me asking, where is the ECM located? Because someone told me about unplugging that for the system to re-learn calibrations for something.
I purchased and installed a brand new MAF, does the car need to re-adapt to the new one?
Old 10-05-2017, 12:34 PM   #11
Dega Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zena View Post
If you don't mind me asking, where is the ECM located? Because someone told me about unplugging that for the system to re-learn calibrations for something.
I purchased and installed a brand new MAF, does the car need to re-adapt to the new one?
The ECM is on the Passenger side underneath the hood just below the fuse panel.
Old 10-05-2017, 12:40 PM   #12
Dega Man

Also does the car idle smooth or is it kind of rough now? I had a fouled plug that gave me the stablitrak and a few other codes on one of my ZL's ended up changing plugs, that took care of the problem but it was definitely idling rough intermittently. If you have an aftermarket CAI I would imagine the ECM have been mapped for a tune.
Old 10-05-2017, 01:02 PM   #13
ABADZL1
ZL1 Pilot

Drives: 2013 ZL1
The codes you mentioned are airflow range and airflow test codes. Those will only happen at wot, and happen when the car has been modded. mods such as pulleys, throttle bodies, and other mods that cause an increase in airflow. If the car has been tuned, the test should have been disabled in the tune by the tuner as well as the dtc's for maf circuit range performance. And the the airflow limits increased. If you are modded, dealer won't be able to correct that. Look at the engine and take pics if you have too, and post them up. You need to know what's been done to it.

GP Tuning 2.5 Cam, RPS Carbon Twin Clutch, Ported Blower, Kook's Headers, Cold Air Inductions CAI, ID850's, 9.17 Lower, 2.5 Upper, JMS BAP, Pedders Front Radius Arm Inserts, Whiteline Subframe Inserts, Tuned by me with HP Tuners
Idle Clip Link...........https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTL8S9eHwbs

Last edited by ABADZL1; 10-05-2017 at 01:30 PM.
ABADZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 01:33 PM   #14
Zena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dega Man View Post
Also does the car idle smooth or is it kind of rough now? I had a fouled plug that gave me the stablitrak and a few other codes on one of my ZL's ended up changing plugs, that took care of the problem but it was definitely idling rough intermittently. If you have an aftermarket CAI I would imagine the ECM have been mapped for a tune.
It idles smooth. Parked, it revs high up with no misfires, so I don't think it's related to the spark plugs. Only at WOT above roughly 4 grand does it spudder and hesitate. However, I will check JIC.