Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-12-2014, 11:32 PM   #1
Vettedude

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Camaro SS for graduation?

Hey guys, I'm new as a member of this forum except I look at it all the time. Anyways, the Camaro SS is my dream car. I asked my parents if I could get one for high school graduation if I saved up $5,000 (I have a part time job) to put down, which is in about one and a half years from now. My parents said yes, but do you guys think this is a good idea? Some friends have said that it is a stupid idea to save that much money just to spend it on a car, but the adults in my family respect me for saving the money for it. Also, I live in an area that snows a lot in the winter, but I plan on getting snow tires. Just let me know what you think. Thanks
Vettedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 11:33 PM   #2
Austin45
The Logistician

Drives: 2012 LFX 45th Anniversary
Buy what you want. My down payment was bigger than that, which I made when I was 17 and 3 months from graduation.
Old 10-12-2014, 11:35 PM   #3
salva

Drives: 2014 LS
Just make sure you're able to pay the insurance
salva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 11:38 PM   #4
Vettedude

Quote:
Originally Posted by salva View Post
Just make sure you're able to pay the insurance
My parents have that covered until I'm out of college and financially independent.
Old 10-12-2014, 11:39 PM   #5
Vettedude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin45 View Post
Buy what you want. My down payment was bigger than that, which I made when I was 17 and 3 months from graduation.
$5,000 is my goal, but I'm trying to get as much as I can.
Old 10-12-2014, 11:51 PM   #6
LimaCharlie

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS - 2004 Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettedude View Post
My parents have that covered until I'm out of college and financially independent.
You are very lucky. If you ever get the car, thank your parents by respecting the car.

$5,000 is a good goal for a down payment. I totally understand why you would spend $5,000 on a car because I'm a car guy. Your friends are obviously not and probably spend their money on video games and cell phones.

2004 Black Silverado 1500 2WD Regular Cab, Short Bed
-5.3 LM7, 4L60E, 3.42, G80

2014 White Caprice PPV
-6.0 L77, 6L80E, 2.92, G80
LimaCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 12:10 AM   #7
3Black
Account Suspended

Drives: 2014 1SS/RS M6
I'm 17, what I did was put the down payment on the car, and the car is under my parent's name. The system in our house is every month, I pay my parents the $6xx payment and they just pay the bill (I'm not old enough to have the car under my name). In reality, the car is under their name, but really I'm paying for it. I also pay for gas, they pay for insurance though, I simply can't afford it. I work on eBay and make just enough for the car payment, gas, and a little to save for myself. If I had to pay insurance, I wouldn't have a V8, I highly appreciate my parents paying for insurance and plan to pay them back with something big sometime.
3Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 12:34 AM   #8
Amanofdragons

Drives: none(yet)
I say you are a lucky son of a gun. I'd also suggest that you specify whatever generation camaro you want. Else you might get a 4th gen with 100k on it. All joking aside, if your parents are willing to do that, by all means do it. I'm in a similar boat except for that I made all the money for the car myself. I have to pay for everything myself. Don't listen to your friends who say don't spend the money on a car. Yeah five grand will buy you a lot of things, but how many are you gonna use every day and have for an extended period of time? A nice rifle? Go on a date with that. A bunch of clothes? They'll be outa style before you can wear them all. A prostitute? That'll probably be the best night of your life, but that'll be it. A mail order bride? Well you can use that daily and will probably have her for a while. She you just can't ride her to school. Like I said go for it. You won't regret it.
Amanofdragons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 12:54 AM   #9
Vettedude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanofdragons View Post
I say you are a lucky son of a gun. I'd also suggest that you specify whatever generation camaro you want. Else you might get a 4th gen with 100k on it. All joking aside, if your parents are willing to do that, by all means do it. I'm in a similar boat except for that I made all the money for the car myself. I have to pay for everything myself. Don't listen to your friends who say don't spend the money on a car. Yeah five grand will buy you a lot of things, but how many are you gonna use every day and have for an extended period of time? A nice rifle? Go on a date with that. A bunch of clothes? They'll be outa style before you can wear them all. A prostitute? That'll probably be the best night of your life, but that'll be it. A mail order bride? Well you can use that daily and will probably have her for a while. She you just can't ride her to school. Like I said go for it. You won't regret it.
I want a 5th gen Camaro. I keep a picture of one in my wallet. It really helps me save my money.
Old 10-13-2014, 12:57 AM   #10
Vettedude

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Black View Post
I'm 17, what I did was put the down payment on the car, and the car is under my parent's name. The system in our house is every month, I pay my parents the $6xx payment and they just pay the bill (I'm not old enough to have the car under my name). In reality, the car is under their name, but really I'm paying for it. I also pay for gas, they pay for insurance though, I simply can't afford it. I work on eBay and make just enough for the car payment, gas, and a little to save for myself. If I had to pay insurance, I wouldn't have a V8, I highly appreciate my parents paying for insurance and plan to pay them back with something big sometime.
I suggested doing something similar, but my dad wanted me to wait until I'm 18 so I can sign on it and he can co-sign and make the monthly payments on it, so that it helps me develop good credit.
Old 10-13-2014, 01:34 AM   #11
3Black
Account Suspended

Drives: 2014 1SS/RS M6
Quote:
I suggested doing something similar, but my dad wanted me to wait until I'm 18 so I can sign on it and he can co-sign and make the monthly payments on it, so that it helps me develop good credit.
I will end up getting ownership once I'm 18.
3Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 08:02 AM   #12
schwartzeneger

Drives: 2013 Crystal Red Tintcoat
Quote:
Your dad is no fool. Just be sure to calculate in the cost of insurance, gas, and general maintenance before going with the V8.
schwartzeneger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 08:19 AM   #13
IOMss11

Drives: 2011 Inferno Orange metallic 2SS
Screw your friends, they're jealous. Work hard and you can attain anything you want. Work hard, stay humble and drive a camaro.
Old 10-13-2014, 08:24 AM   #14
01pewterz28
#TeamBeckyD

Drives: 2017 HBM 2SS Convertible A8
If you can afford it go for it my 1st car was a 1992 Z/28 I saved up half the $$ my parents finished the rest. I had the car when I was in 11th grade.

Tags
camaro ss, graduation, high school