Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

Phastek Performance

Old 04-01-2018, 07:51 AM   #15
Chris C 1SS 1LE

Drives: 2017 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by HYPER1LE View Post
A replacement. I hear that. I’m really sick about this as I’ve read on this forum others have been about theirs. So, because of the bind this has put me in and the logistics due to distance (90 miles) from where I live, I’ve chosen my own insurance to help me out for now and then have them seek subrogation with his later. My biggest concern if repairable, and it appears that it is, is will I be “whole” again (fit, finish, diminished value). We will see. And darn it, I had just bought a helmet today before this happened over at Atlanta Motorsports Park in Dawsonville!

So, does anyone in the Acworth, Woodstock, Kennesaw area know of a top-notch body shop? Or, should I take it to a Chevrolet dealership body shop, especially since it is a 1LE and has future track days and autocross days ahead? I’ve got til Monday morning to make final decision.
Sorry about the mess. You're very wise in your insurance approach.
Old 04-01-2018, 09:39 AM   #16
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Sorry to hear about your accident. Looks like just body panels? If so it could have been much worse if suspension got hit and bent. Fingers crossed for ya it will be fixed right and as good as new!
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 11:16 AM   #17
HYPER1LE

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE HBM
Thank you. I think the suspension is okay. The right rear tire sustained a shallow cut to the curb protection strip and the wheel flange has a blemish not down to the metal. After some reflection on choice of body shop, I’ll be telling the insurance company to take it to Jim Ellis Collision Center. My past experience on a previous Camaro I owned was a flawless and perfect paint repair. And they’re highly trained and certified. Farther from my home but only one I hope to trust to understand this car and make it right.
HYPER1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 11:38 AM   #18
booyaa56

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LE
Wth was that old fart thinking?
booyaa56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 01:39 PM   #19
Boost Creep

Drives: '18 1SS 1LE
Rear quarter panel and door frame where door striker is mounted are part of the vehicle shell. They can replace the quarter, but where it mounts by the door striker, the door opening, looks bent up.

I think the damage is worse than it appears.
Attached Images

Boost Creep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 01:47 PM   #20
Boost Creep

If you get a chance check all the body gaps on the other side of the vehicle, all the way around. How's the drivers door open? How about the trunk?
Newer cars are designed to absorb impact and can bend and twist once the unibody system has been compromised.

Look it over real, real good.
Old 04-01-2018, 05:34 PM   #21
Uncle Sam

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LE Hyper Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boost Creep View Post
Rear quarter panel and door frame where door striker is mounted are part of the vehicle shell. They can replace the quarter, but where it mounts by the door striker, the door opening, looks bent up.

This. The chassis, when stripped down to the shell, is this area especially. BTW, scratch on the rear wheel or nick to the tire, not the way it was and you can insist on replacement. This could put the cost of repair up near the 75-80% estimate of totaled determination. Diminished value? At least $5K but could be argued $7,500. Your insurance company probably won't want to go to far on diminished value but it is real enough. A dealer that wants to sell you a new car will help. A shop wanting to repair will try to keep the cost estimate low so the car isn't totaled.

It sucks that it happened but the car can be replaced. Good Luck!
Uncle Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 01:07 AM   #22
HYPER1LE

I don’t know what he was thinking other than I do know he was not thinking about stopping for the stop sign. The way he entered the roadway was as if he was approaching the intersection as if he had a green light. And it certainly wasn’t the sun in his eyes as it was to his right (West) as I was approaching from the east.
Old 04-02-2018, 01:14 AM   #23
HYPER1LE

Quote:

I know ��. The fit and finish of all other panels on the car are fine. No binding or misalignment. Although the passenger door did open and close post-collision, now it won’t since rolling the window down to hear guidance from the wrecker driver when unloading it. I heard the window bump inside the door and guess it somehow has permanently locked the door. To replace the quarter panel is going to require some serious expertise I believe so that’s why, in addition to being 1LE, that I’m taking it to Jim Ellis. Besides Chevrolet, they are renowned experts for Porsche, Audi, etc.
Old 04-02-2018, 06:12 AM   #24
Boost Creep

I just hope everything can be made right.
Old 04-02-2018, 02:33 PM   #25
HYPER1LE

Quote:
I just hope everything can be made right.
Thank you. It’s at the collision center now. Will be toward the end of the week before I hear an estimate from both the collision center and the insurance company. On a feel-good note, the service writer thinks it’s repairable but did grit his teeth. Said he can’t write up a realistic estimate until his tech cuts the panel off to inspect for underlying damage. He did assure me they use only OEM parts and repair processes as I knew they would based upon my prior experience some 12-13 years ago with my 4th gen. He also described to me how he will direct the repair as far as repainting is concerned for a back-to-factory appearance with no tape lines or overspray. Interestingly, he’s the same guy that took care of me several years ago and remembered me so that felt good.
Old 04-02-2018, 04:07 PM   #26
Boost Creep

Sounds like your car is in good hands.
Best of luck.
Old 04-05-2018, 04:12 PM   #27
HYPER1LE

Today Jim Ellis Collision Center did the initial repair appraisal...$11,327.43 for parts, labor and paint. This is just the starting point. A supplemental will likely follow raising the overall cost. At my insistence, only new OEM parts will be used where necessary. Fortunately, my USAA appraiser (also present) didn’t give me a hard time since the car is less than 2 years old (build date 1/2017). The guy there overseeing and directing the repair, Larry Stidham, is calling for substantial disassembly (a good thing) so that when the car is painted it will be consistent with factory appearance and free of any tape lines or overspray (the only thing I’ll accept). The initial projected time to completion I’m told for now is 6 weeks ��. But, I’d rather it be done right as opposed to rushed. Part of the extended time is to allow the solvents in the paint to evaporate before my Xpeled panels can be redone. Finally, after it’s repaired, I will get it appraised to determine the fair, not necessarily the insurance offer, diminished value. Once it is all said and done, USAA will send GEICO (at-fault party’s insurance) the bill through subrogation.
Old 04-05-2018, 04:20 PM   #28
Boost Creep

I'm thinking six weeks is being optimistic.
My guess on the damage was closer to $14,000, stuff adds up quick.

Tags
1le, camaro, crash, damage