Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Gen5DIY
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2016, 07:31 PM   #239
greygrowler
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Chicago illinois
Posts: 4
My 2010 Camaro with a 3.6 LLT motor needs a timing chain. GM has extended the warranty on 7 of 20 vehicles with this same motor/timing chain combination, but is not willing to give the same level of support to owners of the 13 other vehicles with this problem. If you have a 2007-2012 GM vehicle with the 3.6 V6 engine, you will experience this problem. Cost of fixing the problem is running about $2K at the dealer. My recommendation is that you contact GM asap and open a case to get your car added to Bulletin 12-06-01-009F. If they don't do the right thing, there is always the class action lawsuit. They've already accepted that the timing chain has a problem by releasing the bulletin for seven of the vehicles. A first year law student could win this case.
greygrowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 01:34 PM   #240
valoridian
 
Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: California
Posts: 5
P0008 at 53k, out of warranty

Has there been any progress with pursuing a Class Action lawsuit for the Chevy Camaro timing chain issue?

My car threw the P008 code at 53,000 miles, sometime around May 2017. I don't drive the car a lot (short commute!) and I've changed the oil per the car's "Oil Life" monitor. Had I known the oil life monitor was calibrated poorly (which is the reason for the recall on other vehicles with the same engine), we would have had it changed more often.

I took the car to the Chevrolet Dealership in Novato for them to to diagnose the check engine light. They confirmed that it is the P0008 code, and estimate that it will cost about $2600 to replace the timing chains.

The Camaro is out of warranty by about 2 years. The dealership I bought the car from would not offer me an extended warranty to purchase (and went out of business within months of my purchase in 2009).

I've tried dealing with GM Customer Assistance to help cover the cost of this repair:
1) The same repair is covered by a recall on other GM vehicles.
2) The car is at 53,000 miles for a part that was warrantied up to 100,000.

They took 3 to 4 weeks to respond to my request for assistance, and eventually called me to say "No" to my request because the car was out of warranty. I know it was out of warranty!! That's the exact reason I called GM Customer Assistance, otherwise I would just take it to the dealer to have it fixed.

I need to go back to Chevy Novato to see if they will help me with the cost of the repair, maybe they will take mercy on me.

I'm also going to contact the President of the customer service department about my issue and experience with his department, as it was a complete waste of my time.

I've seen people talking about filing a Class Action lawsuit for this issue on these and other Camaro forums - any luck with this?

At this point, my heart is broken. The Camaro I have loved for many years has turned out to be a LEMON, and GM is not doing anything about it.

It's likely that I'll be ditching the Camaro (whether or not I have to pay to fix it first), and never, ever purchasing a GM product again.

Any help or advice from the forum would be greatly appreciated!
valoridian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 07:36 PM   #241
PieNsky

 
PieNsky's Avatar
 
Drives: Victory Red 1LS
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Louisville,KY
Posts: 1,913
I just changed another set of chains at 253,000 miles. I did the first at 117,000 and have cloyes in it now.
Not an endorsement of Cloyes, they just offered a kit instead of buying each part separately. I would do the new factory chains. If the Cloyes last about as long as whomever built the last set, I'd have nearly 400,000 miles by then anyway.

Last edited by PieNsky; 12-10-2017 at 08:21 AM.
PieNsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 10:36 AM   #242
gahammerle

 
gahammerle's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro LS M6 Inferno Orange
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Lebanon, OH
Posts: 1,658
Quote:
Originally Posted by PieNsky View Post
I just changed another set of chains at 253,000 miles. I did the first at 117,000 and have cloyes in it now.
Was this 2nd time preventative maintenance or were you getting codes?
__________________
Gordy

Injen CAI / Solo Mach-X LLT / Solo High-flow res-cats / Barton short shifter / RX Catch Can / RPI Gills / 35% tint / LED Footwell Lighting Front & Rear / Pedders Street 1 / Pedders steering rack bushing / SS struts / Pfadt drop springs / VMax Ported Throttle Body / Spohn Toe Rods / Spohn Trailing Arms / Trifecta Tune / MACE 25mm Intake Spacers



Find me on Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/gahammerle
gahammerle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 02:57 PM   #243
sdmaro
 
Drives: 2011 LS Camaro
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Miami
Posts: 560
Quote:
Originally Posted by PieNsky View Post
I just changed another set of chains at 253,000 miles. I did the first at 117,000 and have cloyes in it now.
Cost? At a dealer?
__________________
Exhaust: Magnaflow catback/x-pipe, Injen SRI, BBK Headers w/ no cats

Suspension: BC BR Coilovers

Cosmetics: ZL1 front conversion, AAC plasma afterburners 2.0, GFX rear,

Interior: AAC red footwells, ZL1 shifter boot/knob, suede center console
sdmaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 06:41 PM   #244
fhrex
 
fhrex's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT/RS
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Farmville, Virginia
Posts: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by valoridian View Post
Has there been any progress with pursuing a Class Action lawsuit for the Chevy Camaro timing chain issue?

My car threw the P008 code at 53,000 miles, sometime around May 2017. I don't drive the car a lot (short commute!) and I've changed the oil per the car's "Oil Life" monitor. Had I known the oil life monitor was calibrated poorly (which is the reason for the recall on other vehicles with the same engine), we would have had it changed more often.

I took the car to the Chevrolet Dealership in Novato for them to to diagnose the check engine light. They confirmed that it is the P0008 code, and estimate that it will cost about $2600 to replace the timing chains.

The Camaro is out of warranty by about 2 years. The dealership I bought the car from would not offer me an extended warranty to purchase (and went out of business within months of my purchase in 2009).

I've tried dealing with GM Customer Assistance to help cover the cost of this repair:
1) The same repair is covered by a recall on other GM vehicles.
2) The car is at 53,000 miles for a part that was warrantied up to 100,000.

They took 3 to 4 weeks to respond to my request for assistance, and eventually called me to say "No" to my request because the car was out of warranty. I know it was out of warranty!! That's the exact reason I called GM Customer Assistance, otherwise I would just take it to the dealer to have it fixed.

I need to go back to Chevy Novato to see if they will help me with the cost of the repair, maybe they will take mercy on me.

I'm also going to contact the President of the customer service department about my issue and experience with his department, as it was a complete waste of my time.

I've seen people talking about filing a Class Action lawsuit for this issue on these and other Camaro forums - any luck with this?

At this point, my heart is broken. The Camaro I have loved for many years has turned out to be a LEMON, and GM is not doing anything about it.

It's likely that I'll be ditching the Camaro (whether or not I have to pay to fix it first), and never, ever purchasing a GM product again.

Any help or advice from the forum would be greatly appreciated!
Sorry that you would throw away a car that you love like that....I never would. Everyone knows that the powertrain warranty on a 2010 (or 2011 for that matter), is 5 years, or 100,000 miles, WHICHEVER OCCURS FIRST. The "recall" is not a recall at all, but a special coverage program, and is on the GM R/V vehicles only, which are a completely different animal than our Camaros. If the timing chain failed on my car right now, which I have owned for only 2 1/2 years, I would never call it a "lemon". But hey, I am me, and you are you...you have every right to feel the way you do
__________________

Last edited by fhrex; 12-06-2017 at 07:25 PM.
fhrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 05:58 PM   #245
PieNsky

 
PieNsky's Avatar
 
Drives: Victory Red 1LS
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Louisville,KY
Posts: 1,913
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdmaro View Post
Cost? At a dealer?
I did it myself. It is a BIG job. I have no idea of the cost, just what others have stated
PieNsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 10:04 AM   #246
bubbagumper6
 
Drives: 2010 LT RS
Join Date: May 2013
Location: United States
Posts: 11
Well add me to the growing list....2010 V6 with 88k miles just threw the P0008 fault. Called GM customer service and they were basically useless. Going to drop it off at the dealer later today and hope they will help me out. Pretty frustrated right now, always changed the oil according to the OLM but now I find out I should have been doing it sooner.
bubbagumper6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 10:09 AM   #247
bubbagumper6
 
Drives: 2010 LT RS
Join Date: May 2013
Location: United States
Posts: 11
Dealership want's $2700 and says GM is refusing to cover any of it. Nice to know they stand behind their products...
bubbagumper6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 11:30 AM   #248
Sam.72718
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro LT
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: United States
Posts: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by PieNsky View Post
I did it myself. It is a BIG job. I have no idea of the cost, just what others have stated
I just did this myself with the Cloyes kit. We’re you still getting a P0008 code after? Or did you have to pull fuses 5 and 20 to get that to go away?
Sam.72718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 01:55 PM   #249
bubbagumper6
 
Drives: 2010 LT RS
Join Date: May 2013
Location: United States
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam.72718 View Post
I just did this myself with the Cloyes kit. We’re you still getting a P0008 code after? Or did you have to pull fuses 5 and 20 to get that to go away?
When I finished mine the first couple starts were really rough and it threw a bunch of engine codes. Shut it down, disconnected the battery for a few minutes, reconnected and it started right up fine with no more codes.

If it's running ok you could also try using a code reader to reset the P0008 code manually. If it comes back you might still have issues...

I used the OEM GM replacement kit (the same kit the dealer would have used) not the Cloyes though.
bubbagumper6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 07:59 AM   #250
RickRay
INJACC
 
RickRay's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 CGM 2LT/RS AUTO
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Montreal (South Shore)Quebec, Canada
Posts: 6,499
Quote:
Originally Posted by efpardo View Post
Cloyes offers a timing chain set:
Cloyes Engine Timing Chain Kits 9-0753S

From what I've been able to find, the latest AC Delco part has been upgraded.
ACDelco 12651450 Engine Timing Chain Kit

Member crit719 sent me the AC Delco kit. Let me know if you need it--N/C.
I came upon this....
Chain Pkg (REPLACED BY PART NUMBER 12693218) - GM (12651450)

EBAY $123 US Cloyes 9-0753S
__________________
Member of 'Club Elite' #70
2LT/RS Auto / Solo HFC / Solo Mach X-LLT J-Pipe / JBA Headers Shorty
CAI - Cold Air Inductions / VMAX TB / Trifecta Tune
Hotchkis Max Strut Brace / Blade Dovetail Spoiler / Elite Catch Can
ACS T3 Hood Ports / T2 Bumper Ports / T2 Splitter / ACS T1 Led Light Kit
ACS Rockers / ACS Composite Hood Liner / ACS Upper Rear Quarter Ports
ACS Front Wheel Mud Flaps / ACS Rear Wheel Mud Flaps / Vitesse Throttle Controller
Pedders Drop Suspension / BMR Lower Control Arms / Style 41 ZL1 Wheels /
Oracle Afterburners / Oracle Concept SMD Side markers
Complete SS Brembo Brakes Set
RickRay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 08:03 PM   #251
PieNsky

 
PieNsky's Avatar
 
Drives: Victory Red 1LS
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Louisville,KY
Posts: 1,913
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbagumper6 View Post
When I finished mine the first couple starts were really rough and it threw a bunch of engine codes. Shut it down, disconnected the battery for a few minutes, reconnected and it started right up fine with no more codes.

If it's running ok you could also try using a code reader to reset the P0008 code manually. If it comes back you might still have issues...

I used the OEM GM replacement kit (the same kit the dealer would have used) not the Cloyes though.
Yeah, I used the cloyes kit. I didn't start it right up after it was finished. Just cranked it and stopped so the oil pressure would build up and the camshaft actuators would fill with oil so that they would operate correctly.
If you are still getting the P0008 code , you may not have had the right cam in the correct place . Hope I am wrong
PieNsky is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:14 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.