Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 09-21-2022, 02:35 PM   #1
RobZL1
fo'shizZL1

Drives: 2017 ZL1
Opinions please - headers with stock cats (yes, you read that correctly)

I realize there is a power limit to the stock primary cats (such as stock hp levels if you track the car all the time)...

But, for a car that doesn't see a ton of WOT, and will likely only see a maximum of 800-850 rwhp in the future...

What do we think about fabbing the stock cats into some 3" connector pipes behind a set of long tubes? I don't think I've seen anyone do that, but I'm thinking about saving some money over buying a set of Gesi Gen 2's and just repurposing the stock primaries behind a set of long tubes.

Would opening up the flow path to the cat with a large primary be of any benefit vs the tiny little 2.25" opening going into the cat on each bank in the stock configuration?

In other words, where is the real restriction here? The stock cat itself or the tiny opening between the tri-y stock shorties and the stock primary cat?

I think it would be interesting to see how a stock cat performs compared to a Gesi cat, if they were both in a set of 3" connector pipes after a set of 2" long tubes. We always talk about how restrictive stock cats are, but maybe a lot of it is due to the (relatively) tiny inlet and outlet in the stock setup, particularly when the gasses are so hot (and thus need more physical volume) closer to the head.

Thoughts??

Past Rides-
2014 ZL1 M6 Red Hot | Tons of mods
2004 CTS-V M6 Silver | Many mods
1995 Corvette M6 Torch Red | A few more mods
1992 Camaro M5 White | A few mods
RobZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 02:39 PM   #2
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
Waste of time. The factory headers are far less restrictive compared to the OEM cat pipes. The most restrictive spot is from the header/cat connection to the cat. It necks down under 2" in that spot.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 02:52 PM   #3
SJFGTO
Oh Oh it's Friday Night!

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE Nightfall Gray
No! Stock cats with long tubes on a supercharged vehicle is a recipe for cat failure and engine damage. Don’t be penny wise and pound foolish. Your ZL1 deserves better.
2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE NFG; ARH 2” headers, catless mids, ARH full exhaust, Lingenfelter 18% lower pulley, ATI Harmonic Balancer, Roto-fab CAI, EE-catch can, TM ported TB, NX Lid, BMR strut tower brace. Aeroforce dual pod interceptor gauges. Tuned by Vengeance Racing!!! 644 HP @ 6250 rpm / 689 trq @ 3660 rpm

Four that wanna own me
Two that wanna stone me
One says she's a friend of mine...
SJFGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 03:58 PM   #4
RobZL1
fo'shizZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLT1 View Post
Waste of time. The factory headers are far less restrictive compared to the OEM cat pipes. The most restrictive spot is from the header/cat connection to the cat. It necks down under 2" in that spot.
I probably wasn't clear. I meant to get rid of exactly that small spot. In other words, bolt up a set of headers. Take a piece of 3" off road connecting pipe. Cut the ends off the factory primary cats / fab up some reducer sections to put the factory cat in the 3" off road tubing.

So the flow path would be 2" primary to 3" merge-spike collector to 3" connecting pipe to modified factory cat with 3" inlet and outlet to factory catback (sans secondary cats).

Past Rides-
Old 09-21-2022, 04:01 PM   #5
RobZL1
fo'shizZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJFGTO View Post
No! Stock cats with long tubes on a supercharged vehicle is a recipe for cat failure and engine damage. Don’t be penny wise and pound foolish. Your ZL1 deserves better.
I'm not sure that's entirely true. If anything, it would present the stock cats with cooler gases. There is at least 1 guy running 800 through the stock manifolds and stock cats with no issues so far on a C7Z06

Past Rides-
Old 09-21-2022, 05:10 PM   #6
SJFGTO
Oh Oh it's Friday Night!

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE Nightfall Gray
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobZL1 View Post
I'm not sure that's entirely true. If anything, it would present the stock cats with cooler gases. There is at least 1 guy running 800 through the stock manifolds and stock cats with no issues so far on a C7Z06
Stock manifolds are not long tubes. Re-read my response. Yes, it is certainly true. In any event, the issue has been discussed numerous times in past threads. Just trying to help avoid a known risk.
2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE NFG; ARH 2” headers, catless mids, ARH full exhaust, Lingenfelter 18% lower pulley, ATI Harmonic Balancer, Roto-fab CAI, EE-catch can, TM ported TB, NX Lid, BMR strut tower brace. Aeroforce dual pod interceptor gauges. Tuned by Vengeance Racing!!! 644 HP @ 6250 rpm / 689 trq @ 3660 rpm

Four that wanna own me
Two that wanna stone me
One says she's a friend of mine...
SJFGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 05:47 PM   #7
RobZL1
fo'shizZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJFGTO View Post
Stock manifolds are not long tubes. Re-read my response. Yes, it is certainly true. In any event, the issue has been discussed numerous times in past threads. Just trying to help avoid a known risk.
For some reason, I am not explaining this properly. I have never seen any discussion of running long tubes with stock cats. If you could point me to one of the numerous discussions I'd greatly appreciate it!

Past Rides-
Old 09-21-2022, 07:22 PM   #8
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
If you are going to install headers then aftermarket cats would be the way to go. That’s my opinion.
Old 09-21-2022, 07:50 PM   #9
Joshinator99

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by LT4Greg View Post
If you are going to install headers then aftermarket cats would be the way to go. That’s my opinion.
Yep, get yourself some GESI Gen2 cats if you really want to run cats.
Old 09-21-2022, 08:26 PM   #10
L78toLT1

Drives: Hyper Blue 2016 2SS 6M
Quote:
For some reason, I am not explaining this properly. I have never seen any discussion of running long tubes with stock cats. If you could point me to one of the numerous discussions I'd greatly appreciate it!
You're explaining things perfectly, to me anyway, and i think you may be on to something. I believe there's more than enough objective evidence that no cats, with the exception of gesi gen2's will live in FI applications over 700ish whp. At Camarofest several years ago, toohighpsi told me that the stock cat strata was superior to anything else on the market - this was a few years before gesi gen2's were available. It would not be particularly challenging to fab a set of header connection pipes from a set of stock primary cats. Would they handle 850+ whp? It's possible. We already know nothing else, other than gesi gen 2's will. I think it's worth a try.
2016 Hyper Blue 2SS/6m/MRC/NPP/Silver Rally stripes/ZL1 wheels & brakes/GForce DS and axles/ZLE Cradle Bushings/FE4 ARB front & rear/SEMA Grill/Rotofab dry/95mm TB/Magnuson 2300/Full LT4 fuel system/JMS boost-a-pump/E85 Sensor/Ported CID heads from LME/Cammotion PD cam/Thompson Motorsports forged shortblock/catted Kooks 1 7/8 headers /JRE remote tuned
L78toLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 08:18 AM   #11
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
What do we think about fabbing the stock cats into some 3" connector pipes behind a set of long tubes? ... Would opening up the flow path to the cat with a large primary be of any benefit vs the tiny little 2.25" opening going into the cat on each bank in the stock configuration?
Yes it should help you find the limit of the stock cat

Since almost everything in the aftermarket is garbage, why not try the stock cat. Let us know how it goes.

Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 09:25 AM   #12
RobZL1
fo'shizZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by L78toLT1 View Post
You're explaining things perfectly, to me anyway, and i think you may be on to something. I believe there's more than enough objective evidence that no cats, with the exception of gesi gen2's will live in FI applications over 700ish whp. At Camarofest several years ago, toohighpsi told me that the stock cat strata was superior to anything else on the market - this was a few years before gesi gen2's were available. It would not be particularly challenging to fab a set of header connection pipes from a set of stock primary cats. Would they handle 850+ whp? It's possible. We already know nothing else, other than gesi gen 2's will. I think it's worth a try.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunkk View Post
Yes it should help you find the limit of the stock cat

Since almost everything in the aftermarket is garbage, why not try the stock cat. Let us know how it goes.

This is exactly where I am coming from. I figure it's worth a shot. I like to tinker and DIY. It's my stress relief. I build it and tune it myself. To me it's also fun to think about and do something that others aren't doing every now and then. Sometimes it pans out, other times it doesn't. LOL

Either way, that's what I enjoy about this hobby. To me, the fun is in the build and the tuning and learning things. I used to log almost every daily 30-mi one-way drive on my 5th gen. I'd make little adjustments until that thing was driving smoother than stock with a cam, Big gulp, 103, headers, etc.

I'll probably fab up some stock-cat 3" connector pipes and see how it goes. The substrate of the stock cat is likely more restrictive than a Gesi substrate, but who knows by how much. If it fails, I can always buy some Gesi's and put those in there instead.

Thanks for the input! When I get around to actually doing it, I'll post the results, good or bad.

Past Rides-
Old 09-22-2022, 09:42 AM   #13
Katech_Zach

Drives: 14 Camaro SS 1LE
Catalytic converters need to be at their operating temperature in order to work efficiently. With long tube headers, they lose a lot more heat to the atmosphere than factory manifolds. You will not get your factory cats up to temp, and they will not function the way they do with OEM manfiolds.

There is also a risk you blow them out, they plug your exhaust, and you seriously harm your engine.

This sounds like a recipe for disaster in my opinion.
Katech_Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 10:29 AM   #14
JSH

Drives: '20 ZLE
HPE installed green cats with their package, and they seemed fine. However, I roasted them with my KongX and they could be heard whistling as I went down the track. So, we scraped them out before dynoing my current package.

Does anyone make a hi-flow cat that will survive higher hp levels?
2/23 - 1031/1004 wheel.
4/23 - 1.41/9.61/145 at DA 7000 ft. (only made five passes).
2/24 - LME 390, E2650, FBO, 100 oct.; 1116hp/ 1063tq; 109 oct. dyno next.
JSH is offline   Reply With Quote