Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 06-24-2010, 01:20 PM   #1
UT-Engineer
Just Cruisin'

Drives: 2010 Synergy Camaro
Marriage Proposal or Car...my lil rant

Just wanted to get my fellow C5 member's opinions/thoughts/advice. I've had my car for a little over 3 months now and I love it. It has not even crossed my once to trade it or ever get rid of it! .... Until today ... for the first time It actually came to my head how expensive a marriage proposal (and the things that come with it) can be. As I was pricing engagement rings online all I can think was !!! There goes 4 to 5 months of car payments. I dont think I can go that long with out my Camaro. I didn't plan on proposing to my GF when I made the deal on the car but maybe I should have put the car off just a bit longer. I guess you can't have everything you want right??? well at least not all at once.

For those that are married, what is a good range that you should spend on an engagement ring?

Well, as i continue to ponder on my situation, I'm going to do everything possible to have both. If I had tons of money to blow this obviously wouldnt be an issue but the car payment is just one of a list of bills I have.

Any thoughts? lol

UT-Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 01:22 PM   #2
guiLT
Tampa Gulf Coast Family

Drives: 2001 Maxima
Ouch...
Old 06-24-2010, 01:25 PM   #3
Brokinarrow

Drives: 2012 Honda NC700x
Here's a thought: WAIT AND SAVE UP MONEY FOR IT!! She loves you right? Does it really matter whether you get married this year or next? If she loves you, it really shouldn't. I could easily see getting married to my girlfriend right now, but neither one of us can really afford to pay for a ceremony. So, we'll just wait till we can afford it, no big deal. we still love each other just the same, and we'll still be living in the same house...

And whatever you do, don't get rid of that car!! You'll regret it for a looong time!

<------ Trust me!
Old 06-24-2010, 01:27 PM   #4
guiLT
Tampa Gulf Coast Family

Drives: 2001 Maxima
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brokinarrow View Post
Here's a thought: WAIT AND SAVE UP MONEY FOR IT!! She loves you right? Does it really matter whether you get married this year or next? If she loves you, it really shouldn't. I could easily see getting married to my girlfriend right now, but neither one of us can really afford to pay for a ceremony. So, we'll just wait till we can afford it, no big deal. we still love each other just the same, and we'll still be living in the same house...

And whatever you do, don't get rid of that car!! You'll regret it for a looong time!

<------ Trust me!

Well said.
Old 06-24-2010, 01:32 PM   #5
UT-Engineer
Just Cruisin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brokinarrow View Post

<------ Trust me!
Thanks buddy! Ill consider your advice very very carefully. Im guessing you traded your camaro for a scion? :(

Well still, much appreciated advice. Im still curious on the price of a ring? lol

Old 06-24-2010, 01:33 PM   #6
Xanthos
PWA Relapse

Drives: Formerly-Stick
Closeout/clearance?
- X

2017 1LT/RS A8 Hyper Blue Metallic

Xanthos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 01:38 PM   #7
BlwnSS
i like carz

Drives: 99 Formula,85 Trans Am,04 Monte
I spent about 3k on the bridal set . She even picked it out . We went and looked at a few and then she told me which of them she liked and i then had my choice . But it was a surprise to her when i gave it to her and how i did it . Also check beldens or kay they have no interest financing if you need that .
BlwnSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 01:40 PM   #8
HaZe_X

Drives: Trailblazer SS & Camaro SS
Gumball machine ring FTW!
Old 06-24-2010, 01:42 PM   #9
gahammerle

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS M6 Inferno Orange
Years ago, I heard the rule of thumb is one month's wages for the price of the ring.

Injen CAI / Solo Mach-X LLT / Solo High-flow res-cats / Barton short shifter / RX Catch Can / RPI Gills / 35% tint / LED Footwell Lighting Front & Rear / Pedders Street 1 / Pedders steering rack bushing / SS struts / Pfadt drop springs / VMax Ported Throttle Body / Spohn Toe Rods / Spohn Trailing Arms / Trifecta Tune / MACE 25mm Intake Spacers

Find me on Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/gahammerle
gahammerle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 01:44 PM   #10
UT-Engineer
Just Cruisin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlwnSS View Post
I spent about 3k on the bridal set . She even picked it out . We went and looked at a few and then she told me which of them she liked and i then had my choice . But it was a surprise to her when i gave it to her and how i did it . Also check beldens or kay they have no interest financing if you need that .
Ok thats what i figured. How did she react knowing it was a ring she had picked even tho she wasnt expecting it? I have always been curious on how that works out?? I kind of want to pick it out on my own without her knowledge of anything.

Thanks for the tips on Beldens and Kay. Really REALLY appreciate that info! If she says "YES" yall as well as yalls camaros are invited to the wedding

Old 06-24-2010, 01:44 PM   #11
gahammerle

Also, it may be a good idea to read up on quality of diamonds. Then go look at unmounted diamonds until you find one you like, then look for the ring and have it mounted. You most likely will end up getting a better diamond and ring for less than if you purchased one from the case.

Injen CAI / Solo Mach-X LLT / Solo High-flow res-cats / Barton short shifter / RX Catch Can / RPI Gills / 35% tint / LED Footwell Lighting Front & Rear / Pedders Street 1 / Pedders steering rack bushing / SS struts / Pfadt drop springs / VMax Ported Throttle Body / Spohn Toe Rods / Spohn Trailing Arms / Trifecta Tune / MACE 25mm Intake Spacers

Find me on Facebook:
Old 06-24-2010, 01:46 PM   #12
UT-Engineer
Just Cruisin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by gahammerle View Post
Years ago, I heard the rule of thumb is one month's wages for the price of the ring.
I have heard the same. I was afraid of that. Im sure she'll enjoy it though. Thx
Old 06-24-2010, 01:50 PM   #13
gahammerle

Quote:
Originally Posted by UT-Enginner View Post
I have heard the same. I was afraid of that. Im sure she'll enjoy it though. Thx
Of course, that's if you play by other's rules. If she is worried that you didn't spend the proper amount on the ring, I think you're gonna have more problems down the road.

It's the thought that counts.

Find me on Facebook:
Old 06-24-2010, 01:51 PM   #14
Brokinarrow

Drives: 2012 Honda NC700x
Quote:
Originally Posted by UT-Enginner View Post
Thanks buddy! Ill consider your advice very very carefully. Im guessing you traded your camaro for a scion? :(

Well still, much appreciated advice. Im still curious on the price of a ring? lol
yeah dude, i made some dumb decisions. Basically if I had spent my money more wisely I easily could have kept the Camaro. But I didn't and then I got put into a corner and had to trade her in for something cheaper Oh well, some of us have to learn things the hard way