Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 04-04-2011, 02:08 AM   #1
fad1

Drives: Future 5th gen Camaro
A couple of vert questions.......

Hello everybody. I hope all you folks are enjoying your cars. For someone like me who hopes to buy a Camaro, I have a few questions regarding the convertible.

1) When the top is up, how is the wind noise? Is it quiet? Noisy? Pretty good?

2) Research shows that having the top down for an extended period of time can cause hearing loss. Are you concerned? Do you have the windows up when the top is down so it reduces the stress on your ears?

3) Are you able to install exhaust systems or is it restricted ?

I would really appreciate you answers as I am debating either hardtop or vert.

Thanks!

PS If it isnt to much trouble, can I get interior shots with the top up.
Old 04-04-2011, 09:46 AM   #2
Bodih
I Got My Orange Crush

Drives: it like I stoles it...
You'll find several threads on these subjects on this site.

1) Many different opinions on this. I've had other verts, and this seems to be the quietest I've been in, top up or down. The padded top really seals well on mine.

2) I may go deaf, but I'll be smiling the whole time! Honestly, there's little buffeting or pressure. Convertibles have been around since the invention of the car. I don't see (or hear) a problem.

3) Do your research on exhaust systems before you buy. Larger pipes can be a problem clearing the vert bracing. Drago77 had problems installing Flowmasters, but there are others that have packed in full header and cat-back systems (see SUX2BU's post). Before long, all the manufacturers will know what fits and what doesn't, or have vert-specific models.

My love is in league with the freeway. Its passion will ride, as the cities fly by, and the tail-lights dissolve in the coming of night. And the questions in thousands take flight ~Robert Plant - Big Log~
Bodih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 09:58 AM   #3
Bouncer

Drives: Black, LT2 / RS,Vert
I was lucky enough to pick up my Vert last Monday. I finally put the top up this weekend just to see how quiet it was. I was very impressed. Had a semi pass me and barely heard it. Just like Bodih says, even with the top down you can hold a normal tone conversation even at 70 mph. As far as the exhaust system, I'll just leave it stock for now.
Bouncer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 10:02 AM   #4
1981 Z28
TRIPLE BLACK 2SS/RS VERT

Drives: 1981 Z28 Blue with Blue Stripes
Bodih has summed it up in his commits, but I wanted to add something to # 2)
My mom was worried about me getting a vert for that same reason (going deaf) then I reminded her that I ride a Harley with no windshield and LOUD pipes. That was the end of that conversation.

1981 Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 12:31 PM   #5
ambientweather

Drives: 2011 Convertible 2SS
Huh? I cant hear you, speak up!
ambientweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 01:17 PM   #6
screamin eagle
screamin eagle

Drives: 2011 Camaro RJT SS/RS Conv.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1981 Z28 View Post
Bodih has summed it up in his commits, but I wanted to add something to # 2)
My mom was worried about me getting a vert for that same reason (going deaf) then I reminded her that I ride a Harley with no windshield and LOUD pipes. That was the end of that conversation.
I completely agree, been riding since I was 12. The vert is even quieter than my Road Glide with full windshield and lower fairings.
screamin eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 01:30 PM   #7
1981 Z28
TRIPLE BLACK 2SS/RS VERT

Drives: 1981 Z28 Blue with Blue Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by screamin eagle View Post
I completely agree, been riding since I was 12. The vert is even quieter than my Road Glide with full windshield and lower fairings.
I have a 1997 BADBOY. Harley only made them for 3 years 95-97 and I have 85,000 miles on it. I really enjoy riding!!!!!!!!!!

1981 Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 11:19 PM   #8
RAWarrior

Drives: '11 CGM/IOM 2SS 'vert '02 GMC Envoy
I have to admit, it isn't that much louder than some of my music occasionally creeps up to. I definitely don't see a difference between a loud exhaust and going topless. Either way, as long as you are having fun doing it, go for it lol!
12/15/2010 - (2500) Order Preferenced Order
12/15/2010 - (3000) Order accepted
01/29/2011 - (3100) Order available to sequence.
01/29/2011 - (3300) Order Scheduled for Production
01/29/2011 - (3400) Order Broadcast
02/07/2011 - (3800) Order produced,
02/07/2011 - (4000) Vehicle available to ship
02/07/2011 - (4104) Bailment Invoice Created
02/07/2011 - (4B00) Your car is bayed
03/12/2011 - She's finally Home!!!!
RAWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 08:31 AM   #9
thallman91

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS VR Vert!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fad1 View Post
Hello everybody. I hope all you folks are enjoying your cars. For someone like me who hopes to buy a Camaro, I have a few questions regarding the convertible.

1) When the top is up, how is the wind noise? Is it quiet? Noisy? Pretty good?

2) Research shows that having the top down for an extended period of time can cause hearing loss. Are you concerned? Do you have the windows up when the top is down so it reduces the stress on your ears?

3) Are you able to install exhaust systems or is it restricted ?

I would really appreciate you answers as I am debating either hardtop or vert.

Thanks!

PS If it isnt to much trouble, can I get interior shots with the top up.
From driving it over the weekend (just got it on Friday of last week)..here's my thoughts:

1) There is more noise than in a coupe which is to be expected. However..with the top up..you can do all normal things you would expect in a coupe such as, have a conversation with the passenger, take a cell call, yell at your kid in the back, etc. There's a little more noise....but its not problematic.

2) With the top down (on the highway)..its nearly impossible (I've found) to take a call or have a conversation. For around the town driving... I've found I"m too busy smiling to really talk to anyone anyway. I can see that there is definitely a lot of "ambient" noise while the top is down. It does make it harder to focus on conversations and cell calls while on the highway..but again..around the town driving isn't bad at all. If you are on the highway all the time with the top down..it might cause hearing loss over a long time...but I don't see it as being that bad.

3) I'm just starting my research on the exhaust systems. If I was still 22 and it was my car, I'd probably get a Borla "S" or "ATAK". But..with a wife and child and at 40..I like the rumble..but don't need to try to smack anyone around with it. So...I'm now considering the Borla Touring. Still possibly go with the Borla "S" or the SLP LM II, but haven't come to the conclusion yet. If the SLP has no/less drone than the Borla..I might go that way. Not looking to have it breathe fire all the time...but when I get on it...it would be nice to "hear it".

Hope that helps.

2011 Victory Red Convertible - 2SS/RS
Completed Mods: Roto-Fab CAI, Side vents, SOLO Cat-Back and High Flow Cats, VR Painted Engine Cover, ZL1 GFX, Hot Wheels Badging and Sills, HWSE Grill, HWSE 20" Wheels
Considering Mods: Backup Camera and internal screen

Fedorov for President! Ovechkin for Vice!
thallman91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 10:28 AM   #10
RPO_Z28

Drives: 2007 C6Z
The GM Accessory Off Road exhaust fits perfectly under the rear braces.
Old 04-05-2011, 07:44 PM   #11
jmm30534
Jim's Red Jewel

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS RJT Convertible
1. No problem with cell phone calls or conversing in the car with the top up. As expected it is a little noiser than a coupe.
2. I haven't tried a phone call with the top down but did not have a problem with conversations at expressway speeds.
3. No exhaust plans.

The only thing I notice with the top down is my hair, what's left of it, sure does get messed up. A ball cap should be standard equipment.
jmm30534 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 01:43 AM   #12
modawg2k

Drives: Topless 2SS/RS IOM
Phone call with the top down: I've used the blue tooth and I've heard that it sounds fine. I called from on a regular street and the freeway with the windows up
modawg2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 02:30 AM   #13
fad1

Drives: Future 5th gen Camaro
The verts are tempting..... I'll have to test drive one to see how it really is.
Old 04-06-2011, 04:23 AM   #14
Mr. Broke

Drives: 2011 2SS Convertible
I have had my Convertible about 2 weeks. Put the top down before I drove off dealer lot and don't intend to put it up until late November.
I have had a convertible of one type or another for forty years. No problem hearing ... except maybe hearing my wife.
I had the dealer install the Kooks exhaust system. The original system did not fit due to the extra brace at the very rear of the car. My dealer is about 60 miles from Kooks, so we loaded my car up on a flatbed and took it to Kooks. They worked all weekend and fabricated the pipe needed to fit the convertible. If you order a system from Kooks and make sure you tell them Camaro Convertible installation you will get the correct system. I am VERY pleased with my Kooks system. I installed their complete system including headers.
Mr. Broke is offline   Reply With Quote