Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 06-13-2018, 12:18 AM   #15
radar1972

Drives: 2012 IOM SS/RS
Years ago, my wife worked a couple of years as a greeter at a dealership. She couldn't get over the 180 degree personality change of salespeople after the customers have gone.
Old 06-14-2018, 08:41 AM   #16
samman11

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS Convertible
To the OP, that salesman was just doing his job. I would rather have a happy salesman giving me information than one who I have to pry information from. And no, they didn't just make $18.00 on the car. You got a great deal. Shake their hand, smile, be happy and say "I think we both did ok." Of course salespeople have to put on somewhat of an act with each customer. It happens in many lines of work if you want repeat business. Real estate, etc. Would you rather have some person act lifeless and uncaring, almost bored that he has to deal with you? Of course they act like your best friend. And when you leave, they won't be inviting you over for dinner. When a person works with the public on a daily basis, they have to put that "act" on to appear happy and cheerful, even when aspects of their own private life may be going to hell. Not easy, so be careful about having to shower because you were in the presence of a salesman.
samman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 09:44 AM   #17
SquawkVFR
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by samman11 View Post
To the OP, that salesman was just doing his job. I would rather have a happy salesman giving me information than one who I have to pry information from. And no, they didn't just make $18.00 on the car. You got a great deal. Shake their hand, smile, be happy and say "I think we both did ok." Of course salespeople have to put on somewhat of an act with each customer. It happens in many lines of work if you want repeat business. Real estate, etc. Would you rather have some person act lifeless and uncaring, almost bored that he has to deal with you? Of course they act like your best friend. And when you leave, they won't be inviting you over for dinner. When a person works with the public on a daily basis, they have to put that "act" on to appear happy and cheerful, even when aspects of their own private life may be going to hell. Not easy, so be careful about having to shower because you were in the presence of a salesman.
Ummm yeah...Once we’ve told them we’re good with everything, then yeah...they could of stopped selling something which was already fu€king sold. LOL. By this point it was all rather condescending and insulting.

But that’s not the point.... I’m just poking a little fun at our experience. However...

...you can make all the comments you want...car salesmen will lie and cheat and do whatever it takes to make a sale and anyone who don’t believe that is already a sucker who will soon be parted from thier money. Tell yourself all day long that’s not true and believe whatever you want so you can avoid buyers remorse on that last new car you purchased. I assure you those guys never have sellers remorse....or need a shower.
SquawkVFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 10:04 AM   #18
BMR Sales

Drives: Race Car
Of course they will lie, cheat, etc.

When a person walks into a Dealership, 95% of the Time they are buying a car within 5 days. That Sales Person doesn't want that customer going to another Dealership. If he doesn't make the sale, he doesn't get paid and might not have another "Up" for hours.
BMR Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 08:09 PM   #19
Iron Lung Jimmy

Drives: Iron Lung, Jimmy
And about a third of the customers who agree to buy a car end up not being able to qualify for financing. So oops, the salesman just wasted a bunch of time on someone who pretty much knew they couldn't afford it when they walked in the door.

Not being completely above board works both ways.
Iron Lung Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 08:42 PM   #20
SquawkVFR
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Lung Jimmy View Post
And about a third of the customers who agree to buy a car end up not being able to qualify for financing. So oops, the salesman just wasted a bunch of time on someone who pretty much knew they couldn't afford it when they walked in the door.

Not being completely above board works both ways.

I’d betcha a crisp one dollah bill not a soul in the world grows up wanting to be in car sales. I’m sure some of them make a good living...but it just seems like a frustrating business.
Old 06-15-2018, 12:52 PM   #21
samman11

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS Convertible
My point is that ALL sales positions require some back rubbing by the salesman. Of course they act like your new best friend, that doesn't mean they are lumps of dog doo to the point where someone feels like they have to "take a shower" after the deal is done. Not all are unethical, back-stabbing bastards. Of course the buyer, in any buying situation, must educate themselves and shop wisely. Certainly, any salesman, who makes his/her living from the sale, is going to attempt to sell as much as possible. As long as you get what you paid for, I have no problem. If you pay too much, you need to have better negotiating skills. Everyone wants to shoot the salesman and lawyers of the world. However, when people talk about their own job, it's in line with Mother Theresa.
samman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 05:39 PM   #22
SquawkVFR
Account Suspended

Quote:
Quote:
My point is that ALL sales positions require some back rubbing by the salesman. Of course they act like your new best friend, that doesn't mean they are lumps of dog doo to the point where someone feels like they have to "take a shower" after the deal is done. Not all are unethical, back-stabbing bastards. Of course the buyer, in any buying situation, must educate themselves and shop wisely. Certainly, any salesman, who makes his/her living from the sale, is going to attempt to sell as much as possible. As long as you get what you paid for, I have no problem. If you pay too much, you need to have better negotiating skills. Everyone wants to shoot the salesman and lawyers of the world. However, when people talk about their own job, it's in line with Mother Theresa.
I guess we kinda rode this one right off the rails huh? What have you got against taking showers?
Old 06-17-2018, 07:18 AM   #23
Scalded Dog

Drives: 2011 1LT
Had to shower twice when I got home yesterday... went to a Honda dealership in Hemet, CA. They had a used Chevy on the lot that we were interested in.

Now, I was pre- approved through my credit union... I had a letter from the credit union stating that I had was financing the car though them, and that I was pre- approved to spent up to $20,000... $20,000 of the credit union's money.

"Jonathan" was our salesperson. He seemed nice enough--- at first--- even if he was continuously repeating the same platitudes, over and over... it was evident that he was nervous, and we suspected that this may have been his first day on the job... we might even have been his first customers ever. But... that's just speculation.

We checked the car out (a 2016 Equinox, not that it matters). We liked it, we liked the price. We went inside to talk details.

We did a little of the annoying- but- standard haggling. We agreed on $18,000. I produced my documents of pre- approval.

Jonathan then went to work with the paperwork... this required a lot of personal information from me... to include my having to provide personal references, family AND non- family, along with phone numbers and physical addresses. I pointed out-- a number of times--- that I was pre- approved through my credit union, and that my vehicle would be financed through them... but Jonathan said that it was all about Homeland Security requirements that require checking every car buyer against the terrorist watchlist. I was skeptical, but warily played along.

Finally, Jonathan went in to "talk to his manager," of course. A few minutes later, Jonathan returned with a number of financing options and numbers and monthly payment options (all of which were f'ing ridiculous, rates/ payments that I would never pay). I was incredulous... I explained AGAIN that I was financing the car thought my credit union. I have already discussed interest rates, terms, payments, everything with my credit union. I am not financing through the dealership... Well, Jonathan explained, yes, but "we still have to arrange the terms and the loan through us... the letter just basically means that your credit qualifies you to finance through us."

I said I was done... I demanded that they return my letter of pre- approval, and told ol' boy that we'd be going to a dealership that was able to grasp the concept of how pre- approval works. Jonathan rushed off to "get the letter."

Jonathan's manager finally emerged, and asked what the problem was. I explained it loudly, and clearly... there wasn't any question about my state of agitation. The manager simply said, "Okay, fine, we can do this for you, you're pre- approved, the car is yours, sorry about the trouble." We shook hands, the deal was done.

Now, between you and me, C5, I am NOT really familiar with how the pre- approval process works. I've purchased many cars, but have always either paid cash, or financed through the dealership. This was my first time with a pre- approval letter.

Was I correct in thinking that Jonathan was full of crap... either utterly incompetent, or just lying through his teeth? Was there any reason to collect my financial/ personal information? Was there a reason to present the financing options to me?
Scalded Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 09:56 AM   #24
SquawkVFR
Account Suspended

Just another sleazy POS car salesman lying to try and get you to finance through his company. How much did they make on the deal? $19?
Old 06-17-2018, 10:10 AM   #25
Scalded Dog

Drives: 2011 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquawkVFR View Post
Just another sleazy POS car salesman lying to try and get you to finance through his company. How much did they make on the deal? $19?
HA! I'm hoping they made nothing. Now, we DID get the car that we wanted, and it appears that we paid about $4000 under Blue Book, which works for me. In fact, I would have paid their asking price, if they had stood their ground, but they seemed to cave pretty easily after I demonstrated my willingness to walk out the door.

It irritates the crap out of me that SO OFTEN the consumer is required to "play the game" that is dictated by the salesmen. It REALLY sucks for those who have no idea that it's a game, where they are sizing you up to see how much "sucker" you have in you, and how much they can take you for a ride (a girl at work recently showed up in a POS used car that she had just bought... she was very excited, because the dealer "hooked her up," since she was no nice... he set her up with one of those REALLY GOOD 30% loans, and she was thrilled to know that she got that kind of special deal...).

I HAVE dealt with salesmen that are decent, and don't seem to be hell bent on dishonesty and grift. However, in my experience, they are the exception, not the rule.
Scalded Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 01:58 PM   #26
Iron Lung Jimmy

Drives: Iron Lung, Jimmy
Quote:
Now, between you and me, C5, I am NOT really familiar with how the pre- approval process works. I've purchased many cars, but have always either paid cash, or financed through the dealership. This was my first time with a pre- approval letter.
All you had to do was tell them you were paying cash because, as far as they were concerned, you were.
Iron Lung Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 02:04 PM   #27
Royal Tiger
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalded Dog View Post
HA! I'm hoping they made nothing. Now, we DID get the car that we wanted, and it appears that we paid about $4000 under Blue Book, which works for me. In fact, I would have paid their asking price, if they had stood their ground, but they seemed to cave pretty easily after I demonstrated my willingness to walk out the door.

It irritates the crap out of me that SO OFTEN the consumer is required to "play the game" that is dictated by the salesmen. It REALLY sucks for those who have no idea that it's a game, where they are sizing you up to see how much "sucker" you have in you, and how much they can take you for a ride (a girl at work recently showed up in a POS used car that she had just bought... she was very excited, because the dealer "hooked her up," since she was no nice... he set her up with one of those REALLY GOOD 30% loans, and she was thrilled to know that she got that kind of special deal...).

I HAVE dealt with salesmen that are decent, and don't seem to be hell bent on dishonesty and grift. However, in my experience, they are the exception, not the rule.
I have seen salesmen sell brand new riders liter sport bikes and even a Hyabusa with the eternal “just take it easy at first”. There’s blood on their hands unlike the typical GM moron I’ve run into the last few years. To many people these days, numbers or cash mean more than any “moral compass “.
Royal Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 03:05 PM   #28
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Lung Jimmy View Post
All you had to do was tell them you were paying cash because, as far as they were concerned, you were.
I've found in my experience when you tell a dealership you're paying cash for a car above a certain price they tend to work less with you on it. The reason being is that they make more on the financing than they do on the actual sale of the car. No financing means less money in their pockets. However, if you're buying your kid's first car, you're probably spending $5,000 or less for something that gets them from point A to point B reliably and at that point cash talks and B.S. walks. Drop a stack of $100's in front of them and tell them that's all you're paying for the car. It's amazing the look on their face when the see the money.
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote