Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 02-17-2014, 06:30 PM   #1
DarkwingT

Drives: 2012 SS/RS Camaro
Installed intake and...

What's up gents!?

Finally got my Halltech intake, and it's pretty sweet.
In the pics you'll see the lining is too short, but Jim said he'd send me proper length..

However, I was curious, when you guys installed your intakes, does is Rev faster than normal in gears?

It felt like i could go longer in first before, and now it just revs so fast, I have to switch to second pretty quick. Gas mileage went down a tad, but nothing too bad.

I used to feel really fast in 3rd, and now it kinda feels mellowed out.

You think it's just me? I can feel it breath easier, obviously... and yeah it feels faster. what do you think?

I'm still giving it time to re-learn (installed on Friday)

Does the middle hole where the tube goes through need another liner? (for those who have the Halltech)
Attached Images

DarkwingT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 07:51 PM   #2
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
I know you may like it.... But that kind of looks cheap, there no seal where the tube goes in the box, no insulation, and the tube looks plastic...and it is... And no mine is a CAI intake it did not rev fast in gears, it has a additional scoop to help make a better path for the air to come into the box , not just the same gap as stock with the 1" around the firewall, also a relocate for the windshield wiper fluid filler and tank. I did notice it had a nicer sound to the engine, Just hope you do not have to spray oil on that filter like a K&N. And maybe that seal is supposed to go around the tube you just have stuck in the hole that should have a seal around it!!!!!

My tube is ceramic coated metal BTW and keeps IAT's down
Old 02-17-2014, 09:17 PM   #3
DarkwingT

I know what you're saying, and you're right. At the moment it looks cheapish...
Again, it's missing those linings and I've talked to Jim and he said he will ship out the missing linings. He agreed the original (on top) was too short.. He's fixing that.

Other than that, it seems to do better than stock. once I get those linings, I should be ok.

The Halltech Yellow Jacket is actually a good intake to get, as well as the CAI - I just didn't like the look. I saw it in person.. to each his own.
Old 02-17-2014, 09:19 PM   #4
litle88
V8 Lounge member #2

Drives: 2001 Ws6
Quote:
Originally Posted by christianchevell View Post
I know you may like it.... But that kind of looks cheap, there no seal where the tube goes in the box, no insulation, and the tube looks plastic...and it is... And no mine is a CAI intake it did not rev fast in gears, it has a additional scoop to help make a better path for the air to come into the box , not just the same gap as stock with the 1" around the firewall, also a relocate for the windshield wiper fluid filler and tank. I did notice it had a nicer sound to the engine, Just hope you do not have to spray oil on that filter like a K&N. And maybe that seal is supposed to go around the tube you just have stuck in the hole that should have a seal around it!!!!!

Aaaaand that's why yours doesn't rev the same!
You bought the wrong "ceramic coated metal intake" that keeps IAT's up.
You spread a lot of internet myths and bad info sir.
2001 ws6, 40k miles, Ls3 416 stroker, short block built by PER the rest by me. LPE Ls3 heads milled to 12-1 comp, FAST 102, NW 102, kooks 2", dual DMH cutouts, Magnaflow C/B, BTR cam + springs. Full UMI suspension.
litle88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 09:20 PM   #5
litle88
V8 Lounge member #2

Drives: 2001 Ws6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkwingT View Post
I know what you're saying, and you're right. At the moment it looks cheapish...
Again, it's missing those linings and I've talked to Jim and he said he will ship out the missing linings. He agreed the original (on top) was too short.. He's fixing that.

Other than that, it seems to do better than stock. once I get those linings, I should be ok.

The Halltech Yellow Jacket is actually a good intake to get, as well as the CAI - I just didn't like the look. I saw it in person.. to each his own.
You got the right one sir!!

Listen to noob, please excuse him.
2001 ws6, 40k miles, Ls3 416 stroker, short block built by PER the rest by me. LPE Ls3 heads milled to 12-1 comp, FAST 102, NW 102, kooks 2", dual DMH cutouts, Magnaflow C/B, BTR cam + springs. Full UMI suspension.
litle88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 12:55 AM   #6
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by christianchevell View Post

His shield is missing some of the seals, as he explained. Jim is taking care of that. That intake isn't plastic, it's composite. It keeps the IAT's down as well. It also has the biggest velocity stack you can get on a Camaro intake.

Did Jim paint the "Haltech" raised letters, or did you?
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 01:12 AM   #7
DarkwingT

I painted it with a paint marker.. Was originally going to do my stitching on the dash, but the color looked more pink than anything.

So I tried on the intake
Old 02-18-2014, 05:43 AM   #8
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkwingT View Post
I painted it with a paint marker.. Was originally going to do my stitching on the dash, but the color looked more pink than anything.

So I tried on the intake
I was wondering if Jim decided to start doing that. I along with a few others did it to ours several years back. I made the suggestion to him so that's why I wondered. Glad you like it. Sucks that it got out without all the seals but Jim will make it 100% right. You made a great choice for your CAI.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 07:08 AM   #9
Badbubba
GrINned & JUICEd

Drives: 15STI, 10Expy, 10 2SS/RS M6, 47KB1
There needs to be a seal around the tube where it enters the box. Looks as though the tube may be too long. The Halltech logo is half in and out of the box. Quite possibly not allowing the filter to slide on the tube far enough and to act as the seal into the box. My thoughts would be to pull the tube out, push the filter's rubber boot through the airbox opening. Lay the tube over top the airbox/filter to verify the tube is not too long and would not contact the filter media. If tube is correct length, insert tube into the filter and then at the throttle body. Tighten hose clamps at throttle body and then inside the airbox at the filter.
Imo, something doesn't appear correct. Why have the name positioned on the tube so that it is separated by the box. Also, if you are able to push the filter on the tube further, it will partially cover up the name. ??? Thinking wrong tube. ??? Maybe the tube just needs positioned better as well. Idk.
Not to jack, but the metal/non metal tube could be debated. If hp gains are made with the intake you have and your happy with it, that's what matters.
GPI SS3 Cam & stuff,N.O. Plate(dedicated fuel tank,progressive,fuel hose upgrade,remote opener,heater,console switches),LNC2000,CTAP,ARH 1 7/8" LTs/gutted cats/X pipe/mufflers,Jet Hot coated LTs,GPI HPT Tune,CAI, Scoop,Rx Catch Can,Gates heater hose relocation, Remote clutch & auto brake res,Metco loop,Momentum Tunnel Brace,TSW Nurb 18",555 & 05,Pfadt trailing arms & toe rods,Autometer WB,Fesler Pillar Pod,LED strips (int),Lloyds floor & trunk mats,LED DRL/front turn & license plate,DRL harness,VLEDs tail lights,Plasticoat Bowties. Ord: Oct 5, 2009 Rec: Nov 19, 2009 13.17@112.6 stock

Last edited by Badbubba; 02-18-2014 at 07:21 AM.
Badbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 08:02 AM   #10
revived
Vrrrm.

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Dude that looks wrong to me, my rotofab has a full liner and the plastic connection pipe that goes through the box is secured against the box with several screws and its angled to clear the wheel well. Put your stock filter back on and see if there is a major change it only takes a few minutes. loss of power seems odd.

revived is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 08:16 AM   #11
bhillakaiceberg

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS & 2017 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by litle88 View Post
Aaaaand that's why yours doesn't rev the same!
You bought the wrong "ceramic coated metal intake" that keeps IAT's up.
You spread a lot of internet myths and bad info sir.
Thank you! All the info I have seen him/her post is just plain bad information, or better yet copy and pasted from some website.

This is how my Halltech looked when I had one back in the day.
Attached Images

2017 Chevrolet Camaro 1SS Auto
9.29 @144.57mph ALL MOTOR SBE

#TEAMGPI Gwatney Performance Innovation

bhillakaiceberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 09:39 AM   #12
Badbubba
GrINned & JUICEd

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhillakaiceberg View Post
Thank you! All the info I have seen him/her post is just plain bad information, or better yet copy and pasted from some website.

This is how my Halltech looked when I had one back in the day.
Had a fairly large bow in the airbox side where the tube enters. Was that the filter supplied by Halltech? Seemed too long. Unless the boot on the filter could have fit into the airbox tube area. How was that area sealed when you had the Halltech? Appears the rubber boot on the filter was pressing on the side of the box.
GPI SS3 Cam & stuff,N.O. Plate(dedicated fuel tank,progressive,fuel hose upgrade,remote opener,heater,console switches),LNC2000,CTAP,ARH 1 7/8" LTs/gutted cats/X pipe/mufflers,Jet Hot coated LTs,GPI HPT Tune,CAI, Scoop,Rx Catch Can,Gates heater hose relocation, Remote clutch & auto brake res,Metco loop,Momentum Tunnel Brace,TSW Nurb 18",555 & 05,Pfadt trailing arms & toe rods,Autometer WB,Fesler Pillar Pod,LED strips (int),Lloyds floor & trunk mats,LED DRL/front turn & license plate,DRL harness,VLEDs tail lights,Plasticoat Bowties. Ord: Oct 5, 2009 Rec: Nov 19, 2009 13.17@112.6 stock
Old 02-18-2014, 09:57 AM   #13
bhillakaiceberg

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS & 2017 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbubba View Post
Had a fairly large bow in the airbox side where the tube enters. Was that the filter supplied by Halltech? Seemed too long. Unless the boot on the filter could have fit into the airbox tube area. How was that area sealed when you had the Halltech? Appears the rubber boot on the filter was pressing on the side of the box.
Yea man, hence why I "used" to have it. Well, I bought it off a forum member, so I really don't know if it came from Halltech like that or not. However, it seemed brand new. I used it for about 6 mths. The area was sealed pretty good with the rubber on the top of the frame.

2017 Chevrolet Camaro 1SS Auto
9.29 @144.57mph ALL MOTOR SBE

#TEAMGPI Gwatney Performance Innovation

bhillakaiceberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 10:48 AM   #14
Badbubba
GrINned & JUICEd

QUOTE=bhillakaiceberg;7430482]Yea man, hence why I "used" to have it. Well, I bought it off a forum member, so I really don't know if it came from Halltech like that or not. However, it seemed brand new. I used it for about 6 mths. The area was sealed pretty good with the rubber on the top of the frame.[/QUOTE]

Only found a pic from Halltech, no instructions, looks like you had to do what you did in order to seal off the tube/tube hole. Appears the way it seals is having the velocity stack on the end of the tube press against the inside of the airbox. Thus the reason for the bow.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55108
Or maybe the velocity ring separates from the tube and then you sandwich the airbox side between the two.

Last edited by Badbubba; 02-18-2014 at 10:59 AM.