Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Phastek Performance

Old 03-31-2017, 06:09 PM   #1
EBZ06

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Dead Battery after 2 days!

Having driven my (4500mi) 2SS last weekend, I found my battery completely dead on Wednesday morning. With the car backed into my garage, I went through the process of removing the trunk panel on the passenger side - no quick task - to be able to connect the battery charger. After letting it charge over night, the battery read 14V on the dash. Today, the dealer got an explanation of what happened and they claim to have checked the battery (OK). No evidence that they did a load test or alternator check and now I start the car and I'm getting just over 9V after driving at 75MPH for 35 minutes. I'm sure I'll be jumping it again and traveling back to the dealer in the morning . . . and who designed this car with the battery in a trunk with an electric lock anyway?
EBZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 06:33 PM   #2
Spanky1

Drives: 2017 2SS Summit White Camaro M6
You can charge the battery under the hood also!
Spanky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 06:39 PM   #3
EBZ06

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Spanky, my thanks - even the dealer didn't divulge that info. Cripes!
EBZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 08:20 AM   #4
Nagel

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro LS - 2012
Unhappy

Bad news, man! But I never had any problems with my Schumacher SC-1200A-CA battery charger
Nagel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 08:28 AM   #5
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
There seems to be a few batts here with dead cells around here, mine replaced after 18 months. You can tell if you full charge to 12.5 - 12.6 and the next day it reads 12.0....
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 09:34 AM   #6
TonyNo

Drives: 2016 2SS, SW
I see several threads on this, but...

I went out of town for a few weeks and came back to a dead battery. I also spoke with another owner who didn't start his car for just a week and the battery died.

At CamaroFest, I talked with Brand Quality about this and it's on their radar, but no patterns have been found yet.

Until then, if you don't plan to drive for a while, you can put the car into Transport Mode...

With the car off, turn on the hazards, depress the brake pedal, and hold the start button down for 15 seconds. The dash will then throw up a message confirming Transport Mode.

To get it back out of Transport mode, do the same thing again.

Transport Mode reduces power-usage to a minimum so that the car can sit for longer periods without draining the battery.

I'm heading off again today for two weeks, so we shall see how this works when I return...
Old 07-28-2017, 09:44 AM   #7
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyNo View Post
I see several threads on this, but...

I went out of town for a few weeks and came back to a dead battery. I also spoke with another owner who didn't start his car for just a week and the battery died.

At CamaroFest, I talked with Brand Quality about this and it's on their radar, but no patterns have been found yet.

Until then, if you don't plan to drive for a while, you can put the car into Transport Mode...

With the car off, turn on the hazards, depress the brake pedal, and hold the start button down for 15 seconds. The dash will then throw up a message confirming Transport Mode.

To get it back out of Transport mode, do the same thing again.

Transport Mode reduces power-usage to a minimum so that the car can sit for longer periods without draining the battery.

I'm heading off again today for two weeks, so we shall see how this works when I return...
Very accurate... Have had batt dead twice in two years, batt tests ok and no other faults found. Something else goes wrong and I need more warr work and I'll have them do a more in-depth investigation. But for now transport mode works great, in addition, if I'm going to store more than four weeks, I have a battery switch on the negative cable than shuts car off without any hassle. I'm in my garage so I'm not worried about having to lock the car , I just leave the trunk unlatched if the battery is disconnected.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 10:30 AM   #8
chrest

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS
i had a similar issue but mine was longer than 2 days. I left on vacation twice for 10 plus days since owning the car and came back to a COMPLETELY dead car after sitting. I haven't done anything about it since i drive the car a lot more these summer months but i did buy a GM battery tender for the next time i know it will sit. I will inquire about it on my oil change and service though.

2 days is unacceptable though. Id make some phone calls. I just hate the hassle of "just bring it in, well take a look" just to hear they "can't duplicate the problem"
603hp/547tq
chrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 06:43 AM   #9
TonyNo

Well, ended up being gone for three weeks and Transport mode did not help. Dead as a door nail. Guess we better use a trickle charger for anything over a week.
Old 08-19-2017, 07:29 AM   #10
PinHead
Banned

Drives: Duramax
I suspect its the WiFi/OnStar unit that has lost its signal and has a scheduled data dump that it needs to get transmitted.

Has anyone tried to pull the fuse or de-energize their OnStar when having battery problems?
PinHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 08:01 AM   #11
TJay74

Drives: 17 Camaro SS 1LE & 16 Sierra AT CC
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyNo View Post
Well, ended up being gone for three weeks and Transport mode did not help. Dead as a door nail. Guess we better use a trickle charger for anything over a week.
DO you have anything at all plugged into the car, anything extra or anything that has been added that wasnt on the car when new?

Is the car bone stock as it came from the factory, nothing added whatsoever?
TJay74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 11:20 AM   #12
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by EBZ06 View Post
Spanky, my thanks - even the dealer didn't divulge that info. Cripes!
The terminals in the engine compartment are shown in the owner's manual.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 11:11 AM   #13
TonyNo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJay74 View Post
DO you have anything at all plugged into the car, anything extra or anything that has been added that wasnt on the car when new?

Is the car bone stock as it came from the factory, nothing added whatsoever?
Nope. Stock.
Old 02-27-2020, 02:22 PM   #14
J_mo30

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS (Dory)
I've been having dead battery issues. Parasitic draw is pretty bad. .187 - .278 amps with everything off.

Hooked up multimeter and pulled fuses nothing. Buddy of mine that's a tech at Toyota suggested pull all the fuses and insert one at a time back. Finally found the problem.

Rear fuse box F23 BCM 1 and front fuse box F26 BCM 2 cause it to spikes to .187 from .011 problem finding is both fuses cause it to jump so pulling one at a time didn't allow it to drop. Have to have both fuses out at the same time.

Next step have to figure out what's up with the BCM
J_mo30 is offline   Reply With Quote