Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - California

Old 09-13-2009, 07:00 PM   #1
chappy48

Drives: 2010 Camaro Auto 2SS/RS
Emissions Regulations

Hey guys, I just ordered my Camaro a week ago and had a question for you California guys. I'm going to be transferring to San Diego in April, but my car will be registered in Wisconsin. Do California emissions still apply to my car? I'm asking because the answer to this question will determine what mods I get (longtubes etc...). Thanks.
chappy48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 08:50 PM   #2
tribone
Searchin' ....

Drives: Powered by Bowtie
Quote:
Originally Posted by chappy48 View Post
Hey guys, I just ordered my Camaro a week ago and had a question for you California guys. I'm going to be transferring to San Diego in April, but my car will be registered in Wisconsin. Do California emissions still apply to my car? I'm asking because the answer to this question will determine what mods I get (longtubes etc...). Thanks.
From my understanding (and I could be wrong), if the car is registered in Wisconsin then you don't need to worry about the California emissions. I hope I'm right.

-Guillermo
My Pictures
tribone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 10:06 PM   #3
HeidisCamaro

Drives: 2SS/RS 2010 Camaro Victory Red
I MOVED HERE FROM WISCONSIN AND I BROUGHT TWO CARS FROM THERE HERE. I HAD TO SMOG THEM BUT THEY PASSED FINE. JUST DON'T ADD ANYTHING EXTRA UNTIL YOU GET HERE AND PASS SMOG. I WOULD STILL CALL DMV TO VERIFY THINGS HAVE NOT CHANGED I HAVE BEEN IN CALIFORNIA A LONG TIME...
HeidisCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 10:44 PM   #4
d69chris
Florida C5

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS Vortech L99 IOM
Send a message via Yahoo to d69chris
Yeh, +1

They only give you like 10 days o get it done once you move here, but they will have to pass smog and they use to tax you on the vehicle's value when you registered it, back when I moved back here in 2000.

The only think that has got worse is the state is even more broke than before!

Check it out.......no surprises!
Old 09-14-2009, 01:02 PM   #5
chappy48

I'm not going to register it in California. I'm going to keep it registered in Wisconsin. My question is, even with out of state cars does California require a smog test?
Old 09-14-2009, 01:40 PM   #6
bilydean

Drives: One of the rare ABM camaros
You only need to smog it if you register it here in California. How long are you planning on living in CA? You might draw some questions if your drivers license has a CA address and the car is registered elsewhere if you get pulled over. (unless you are in the military or something). I bought a truck from texas and had to have it smogged. It still has to have all the smog equipment on it for 49-state emissions. Our pastor brought a car from Indiana that originally had a Catalytic Convertor, but was not on the car when he bought it. Now that he is here in CA, he has to put a CC on it to pass at least the 49-state emissions that the car was supposed to have on it.

Dean
3400 6/20 TPW of 6/29
3800 7/3
4D00 7/8 interned at QC
4B00 7/16 Released from QC
4200 7/20

8/5 We picked up the car
bilydean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 08:13 AM   #7
chappy48

Yeah, I'm in the Navy. I'm in New Hampshire right now and they have inspections, but I don't worry about it, because my car is registered in Wisconsin. I just didn't know if California had stricter rules concerning that.
Old 09-15-2009, 11:30 AM   #8
Ydtrack

Drives: Too many to list....
Send a message via AIM to Ydtrack Send a message via Yahoo to Ydtrack
Military are exempt from registering their cars in California as long as your home of record, driver's license, etc is out of state. You will not be required to have your car smogged unless you want to register the car in California.

California DMV requirements for military personnel

Nonresident military personnel, and both military or civilian members of NATO who are not citizens of the United States are permitted to operate a vehicle in this state with valid license plates from either:

The individual's home state or country or the state or country where the individual was regularly assigned and stationed when the license plates were issued, if the following requirements are met:

The license plates displayed on the vehicle are valid plates issued by a foreign jurisdiction.

The vehicle registration and license plates are issued to the military person or spouse of the military person.

The vehicle registration and license plates are issued by the foreign jurisdiction where the military person was last regularly assigned and stationed for duty by military orders or a jurisdiction claimed by the nonresident military person as the permanent state of residence.

If the vehicle is a motor vehicle, the owner or driver has insurance.

NOTE: Military orders do not include military orders for leave, for temporary duty, or for any other assignment of any nature requiring the military person's presence outside the foreign jurisdiction where the owner was regularly assigned and stationed for duty.

This section applies to all vehicles owned by the military person or spouse except any commercial vehicle used in any business manner wherein the military person or spouse receives compensation.
Ydtrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 01:11 PM   #9
chappy48

Sweet! Longtubes it is
Old 10-06-2009, 07:08 PM   #10
BabyHauler

Drives: CGM 2SS/RS 6M
Hold on on those longtubes when I was stationed in San Diego (north Island) the base itself required california emissions to get a permanent base sticker. So I spent 4 years getting temp passes every 2 months or so.
BabyHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 04:15 PM   #11
fixxxer525
Account Suspended

Drives: 01S10,01CBR600,05Ducati, 10 2SS/RS
Send a message via ICQ to fixxxer525
NASNI stopped the 2 month passes, they went with monthly. Could've changed back though. People were abusing the system and thats the reason why it went to monthly. Call NASNI security or go to the website for more info. But you to have a Smog test in order get base stickers.
fixxxer525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 12:43 AM   #12
2010SSRSM6

Drives: My wife crazy with my C5 usage.
You MUST pass California Smog test to get your car on base. Trust me, their isn't a base in SD that you want to leave your shiney new Camaro parked outside of for an hour.
Old 10-11-2009, 01:01 AM   #13
2SSOrgKrate

Drives: 2010 IOM LS3 2SS/RS
Talking No worries!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chappy48 View Post
It's my understanding that GM builds all of their cars so they will meet the California requirements. So, it doesn't matter where you come from, you'll pass when you get here.

I salute you, for your service to our country!

Last edited by 2SSOrgKrate; 10-11-2009 at 01:03 AM. Reason: I'm a veteran and forgot to add the salute
2SSOrgKrate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 04:42 PM   #14
rauhaus camaro
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS with LS3
I am interested in purchasing some shorty headers for my Camaro LS3. I realize that their might not be much of a performance gain however I like the sound of headers.

I have been informed that the reason that GM has not released their GMPP shorty headers for the Camaro is because they failed the CARB test. I called JBA in San Dimas and they told me that they have submitted their JBA 1812 models in for CARB testing and certification. They told me that they would provide me with the sticker for visual when they get theirs approved. Would you know what the implications are if any if I install their shorty headers without the approved Carb #?
rauhaus camaro is offline   Reply With Quote