Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 12-05-2018, 08:34 PM   #15
Pollock
LT4 M6

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
I thought the engine was good for 5 year 60K on the warranty. The bumper to bumper is 3 year 36.
Pollock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 02:41 AM   #16
waterman

Drives: Grandad's C2 L89
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwav8r View Post
While I'd hardly call an aftermarket diverter 'significant' it remains to be seen if GM will void a warranty for a catch can. But to each his own.

Something else to consider, the warranty on these cars is 3/36K that's not a long time. In those 3/36 though you will get fouling throughout the intake side of the motor. While everyone is quick to talk about how DI engines are good for 50K before you have to worry about fouling the intake side, nobody knows what kind of fouling is going to accumulate on a S/C engine.

As an aside, I did show my servicing dealer's maintenance manager my catch can and asked him whether or not I voided my warranty, his response was something along these lines, "Unless you don't drain it and it starts pulling crap into the motor, I don't see what a catch can would do to cause an issue with the motor, you're good. Now, if you don't empty it and it pulls crap into the block, you're on your own and yes, I will be able to tell."
Well stated.
Old 12-06-2018, 07:51 AM   #17
hawk02
Coupe Newbie

Drives: 2017 ZL1, 2021 Corvette Convertible
Quote:
While I'd hardly call an aftermarket diverter 'significant' it remains to be seen if GM will void a warranty for a catch can. But to each his own.

Something else to consider, the warranty on these cars is 3/36K that's not a long time. In those 3/36 though you will get fouling throughout the intake side of the motor. While everyone is quick to talk about how DI engines are good for 50K before you have to worry about fouling the intake side, nobody knows what kind of fouling is going to accumulate on a S/C engine.

As an aside, I did show my servicing dealer's maintenance manager my catch can and asked him whether or not I voided my warranty, his response was something along these lines, "Unless you don't drain it and it starts pulling crap into the motor, I don't see what a catch can would do to cause an issue with the motor, you're good. Now, if you don't empty it and it pulls crap into the block, you're on your own and yes, I will be able to tell."
It doesn't matter what your dealer's service manager says, GM makes the final determination whether or not a powertrain issue is covered under warranty.

Before any repair can proceed, GM will ask your dealer to send a photo of your engine bay. I'm going to bet with a high degree of confidence based on past cases that GM will flag your powertrain warranty null and void after seeing that catch can.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not against catch cans. If I were doing a high HP build, you're darn tootin' a catch can would be included. But at stock power levels, the complexity to install a can on the LT4 combined with its potential to void the powertrain warranty don't make it worth it, in my opinion. As others have said, if it don't make it go faster, I'm not doing it.

Last edited by hawk02; 12-06-2018 at 08:29 AM.
hawk02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 09:10 AM   #18
Alain

Drives: 2016 Challenger Hellcat, 2018 ZL1LE
Quote:

Sounds like you got a good guy as a service manager. They’re not all that good, ultimately it’s corporate GM that makes the call man.

Like someone else stared, at stock power levels the catch can is probably not a must have during warranty periods.

2018 ZL1 1LE/Red hot

2019 Shellby GT 350R/ Oxford white/ Matte Black Stripes/ Carbon Fiber Dash/ Electronics Package #413
Alain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 11:12 AM   #19
Pollock
LT4 M6

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
You can always take it off before you send it to GM for a warranty claim. That was my plan with my last car with an LT1. But the LT4 is so much more involved to install and based on the fact I wont have it long enough to matter I am not putting one on.
Pollock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 12:15 PM   #20
2out2sea

Drives: 2018 hyper blue ZL1 1LE
I am still trying to determine if my current catch can will work. I am wondering at this point if periodic intake cleaning and s/c maintenance might be an easier route than a catch can on the lt4. I have to say that this is the most convoluted catch can install I have come across. I initially purchased my catch can without doing my due diligence. I assumed it would be a simple install...um, no it isn't!!! not to mention all of the mess with GM warranty issues. Thanks again to everyone who has added to this thread. You provided exactly the help I was looking for with this issue.
2out2sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 10:38 AM   #21
2out2sea

Ok guys. Last post on the matter. I tried contacting mighty mouse via email, but haven't heard anything. I understand if they don't respond because I am asking about using someone else's product.

I am just trying to determine if a sealed can with a single in and out can be used on the lt4? I did note that elite engineering states that they pull 2 vacuum sources for low speed and wot. Is it possible to run a t-tap off of both vacuum sources into the one outlet on the can?

I am about to just give up on this and add periodic cleaning of the intake and supercharger as part of my maintenance program for the car.

Thanks again. Brad
Old 12-13-2018, 12:15 PM   #22
Elite Engineering

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Here are instructions as well. Same for Z06 or ZL1:

http://www.eliteengineeringusa.com/c...atch%20Can.pdf

Because your engine is a GDI engine, please consider a Catch Can with the Patented design that traps app. 95% of all oil and other compounds VS the one you mention that traps less than 50%. Your engine will thank you.

And we will provide free technical support and assistance via email no matter what can you choose. Simply email our Tech Support team at:

Tech@EliteEngineeringUSA.com

There is a reason GM and many others have dropped engine warranties from 100k miles with the LS based PFI engines to 60-36k for their GDI engines. ALL GDI engines suffer from these issues.

For sales, email: Sales@EliteEngineeringUSA.com

And of course, ask us any questions here and we can provide independent test data, videos and pictures of what is occurring inside your new engines.

Elite Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 12:28 PM   #23
Expunge

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6, '99 Tahoe 2Dr Sport
Love my Elite Catch Can in my Gen 5 ZL1
Expunge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 12:30 PM   #24
Elite Engineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expunge View Post
Love my Elite Catch Can in my Gen 5 ZL1

Old 12-13-2018, 01:04 PM   #25
2out2sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elite Engineering View Post
Here are instructions as well. Same for Z06 or ZL1:

http://www.eliteengineeringusa.com/c...atch%20Can.pdf

Because your engine is a GDI engine, please consider a Catch Can with the Patented design that traps app. 95% of all oil and other compounds VS the one you mention that traps less than 50%. Your engine will thank you.

And we will provide free technical support and assistance via email no matter what can you choose. Simply email our Tech Support team at:

Tech@EliteEngineeringUSA.com

There is a reason GM and many others have dropped engine warranties from 100k miles with the LS based PFI engines to 60-36k for their GDI engines. ALL GDI engines suffer from these issues.

For sales, email: Sales@EliteEngineeringUSA.com

And of course, ask us any questions here and we can provide independent test data, videos and pictures of what is occurring inside your new engines.

Thank you for the post, and ironically I also got an email from my today.

I may just return the add can, no matter how much I like it. I am curious about the 50% fleeing vs 95% on the elite engineering can. The add can has a separator. Regardless, it seems to be an issue with this engine as you stated. Ben at weapon x concurs and was who got me looking further into all of this. Thanks again.
Brad
Old 12-13-2018, 03:58 PM   #26
XXX ZL1

Drives: 2023 ZL1 M6
Have ran elite eng cans on all previous rides. Just ordered one for new 6.2 Silverado. When blower gets ported I will do one on ZL1 as well. They will answer questions and help anytime, makes a big difference.
High PSI Billet Valve Covers, Mighty Mouse Wild CC

Signature Forged 20x10.5/20x11.5, 295/30-315/30,
BMR springs, BMR Cradle lockout, AAD Billet
Control/Trailing arms

2023 Vivid Orange ZL1 M6 - sold
2019 Riverside Blue ZL1 A10 - sold
XXX ZL1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 05:07 PM   #27
Alain

Drives: 2016 Challenger Hellcat, 2018 ZL1LE
Yes, I think I’m getting one of Elite’s cans as well. This Direct injection stuff/EPA regulations is a real drag !!

I don’t know if I’ll keep my Zl1 1LE for ever but right now I’m leaning towards yes. I’m not a fan of turbo charged engines and it seems that is the direction all car makers are headed. Supercharged engines are gonna be a thing of the past sooner rather than later.

2018 ZL1 1LE/Red hot

2019 Shellby GT 350R/ Oxford white/ Matte Black Stripes/ Carbon Fiber Dash/ Electronics Package #413
Alain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 11:37 AM   #28
Elite Engineering

Thanks 2out2sea, what you would want to do is study some of the independent testing done as well as possibly do it yourself against any other can design.

It is not difficult, but is time consuming. All devices, even a beer can or mayonnaise jar will catch some oil. It is not what a can catches that matters, it is what a system allows past to still be ingested that causes the issues GDI engines cannot tolerate, where engines of the past could.

So, you take ANY catchcan you wish or someone claims is good or the best, and install one of our E2-X designs in series AFTER that can. You run normal driving for 1,000 miles minimum, 2,000-5,000 is a much more accurate test. Drain each (starting with both oil free) and measure and document how much each traps. Remember, the Elite design is AFTER the other cans did their best, and after the set period of miles driven, remove and clean both so oil free again. Reverse the cans so the E2-X design is first inline, and the other can second. Drive the same miles and make every effort to drive the same as this can have a slight impact. You want this as fair and accurate as possible. Same draining every 1,000 miles or so and at the end you will see in the first part, even the most expensive can of any other design will still allow 40-85% past and be caught by the E2-X, and when the E2-X is first, only drops will get past showing it is no small amount, it is huge.

Here is a thread from Polynesian Powerhouse that did just that, and there are dozens of others with most every design on the market:

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=512223

Feel free to post in his thread and ask questions as that is a year or so ago.

Also, this video done my a mechanic promoting Moroso's best can also. It is long, so jump ahead to the 18 minute mark or so to see the final totals:

This is really the only accurate way to test function.

Thanks!!!