Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 06-11-2018, 11:53 AM   #1
SquawkVFR
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro
I always feel like a need a shower after dealing with car salesmen.

They’re just so sleazy aren’t they? Even if they aren’t, it just feels like they’re lying and trying to screw you.

The wife and I went and bought a brand new, 2018, car. (Doesn’t matter what kind, how much or where from.)

We did our research and went in with a fair offer which to we negotiated to a very good price and on top of that they knocked off another $500 off because we’re military. That took all of 20 minutes. Everybody was happy. Honestly it was a good deal. So take this as more of an experience than a complaint.

We were very easy customers, no games, no lowballing, no trade in, no financing no threats of leaving...just two people trying to buy a fu€king car. The deal was a tad under with “what others are paying” and a little better than others we know with similar or the same car. We were cool with deal, told them we were happy and we wanted the car. However......

We went there knowing EXACTLY what car we wanted in the color we wanted. Took it for a test drive. It had ten miles on it. Let’s do the deal. Would you believe the salesman never stopped selling us the car? Why upsale a car that’s already sold? He wouldn’t shut up about how great the car is and all the things we could do with it , and here’s the kicker....without us ever asking, we never, not once asked...nor do we give a tiny rats a$$, how we got such a great deal and they only made $18.00 on the sale.

$18.00? Now here’s a number that will live infamy. The sales manger came out to congratulate us on such a great deal and that they only made $18.00 on the deal. Another salesman told us what a great deal we got and they only made $18.00 on the deal...the paperwork guy shook his and said “wow” and told us what a great deal we got and the dealership only made....you guessed it...$18.00.

I almost offered them another $20 to STF about the $18.00! Why does it always feel like car salesmen are pi$$ing down your back and telling you it’s raining? They went out of their way to explain to us how they gave us such a great deal selling volume or something like that...we weren’t listening. We just wanted to go eat lunch. Then take that shower.
SquawkVFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 12:53 PM   #2
HackSaw

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
Ive always felt the salespeople wernt so bad But the finance/paperwork people were
HackSaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 01:03 PM   #3
Jay_LHD3

Drives: 2019 F150 RCSB Abyss FX4
Sorry to laugh at your expense... but the $18 thing was pretty damn funny!

Jay_LHD3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 01:03 PM   #4
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
I don’t believe for one second that they only made $18 on the car. Military discount, great deal, or whatever. If they only make $18 on a car then they are going out of business by next week because that won’t even keep the lights on. I hate how dealerships try to butter you up so you keep coming back. The way you get my repeat business is don’t BS me.
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 01:10 PM   #5
ssrs2lt

Drives: too many
I don't believe them either about 18.00...there are salesmen on this site but they are usually fair or even great like BECKY
Old 06-11-2018, 02:33 PM   #6
hrpiii
AKA "Beefcake"

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Sharkskin
They could just be following their business practice and know in the back if their head, you were a pretty smart customer and knew they sounded like idiots to you. Some people love to hear they got a great deal and feel like they got the better of the salesman/dealership.

Many don't know or realize how "car sales" works with dealerships and manufactures.

But I agree, the few good salesmen are hard to find at times. The last salesman I dealt with was pretty good guy, straight shooter, but his supervisor... OMG, STFU. So I think we all have been there.
hrpiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 02:58 PM   #7
Royal Tiger
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Convertible
After three terrible experiences at different Chevy dealers, we were extremely happy when we bought the CR-V. No games and we were treated exceptionally well. Unlike the asshole Buick/Chevy dealer that tried keeping my dads keys while negotiating on his trade for the 2018 Envision. Needless to say he bought at a different dealership.
Royal Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 03:53 PM   #8
shibbs
Captain Gingerbeard

Drives: 2012 IOM RS/SS 6MT
Having been a sales guy, and still being in the automotive industry.... Only making $18 on the car isn't unheard of. End of month.... we've LOST money trying to make a sale on one or two more cars. Most employee sales we lose money. That's looking at the small picture.
The rebates from the mfr are where the real money is made in new cars. Sure, you'll sell a "mini" on the car itself, but that sale just bumped the dealership up in the bracket in sales. That's a bigger (usually at least a few thousand) pat-on-the-back from Chev/Ford/BMW/Hyundai... whatever.

As far as the "eighteeen! 18!!! eighteen dollars! wow!" thing is concerned.... we get people in here buying cars that would get a visible erection at making sure we "only made $18" selling them a car. It's all about making people happy. Some love the super happy bullcrap of constantly reassuring them they're making the right choice.... It's all about appeasing the masses. You'll never truly offend someone by treating them "too nice," but if Jane Happycrap would meet a salesperson that YOU'D prefer to talk to, she'd probably walk out, thinking the salesperson was rude AF.
Pedders Coilovers, BMR trailing arms and toe-links, Prothane solid poly subframe bushings, JDP Motorsports rear upper control arm bushings, Texas Speed long-tube headers with 2" primaries, modified fully 3" Magnaflow competition catback. CAI cold-air intake. DBA rotors, Hawk pads.

Quote:
'Hellcat' sounds like some kinda 15 year old furry with liek "I'm a blue fox with wings and magical kawaii powers" kind of sh*t.
shibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 04:11 PM   #9
JerTM

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6
I have known genuine salesmen, they do exist. I won't piss on them all by saying they are scum. But after 12 years working at dealerships, the finance guys are the scummiest people I know. Sales positions tend to draw in the type of person most associate with used car salesmen. There is always one good salesmen per dealership, and that's the only person I buy my vehicles from. I get the opportunity most don't, and that's the ability to see and talk with them everyday so it's easy for me to know who is selling me my next vehicle.
JerTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 05:33 PM   #10
SSJ455

Drives: "Kara Zor-El" 2017 2SS HBM
$18.00 is funny but $18.61 would have been funnier.
Dangerzoooooone.

SSJ455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 06:00 PM   #11
SquawkVFR
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_LHD3 View Post
Sorry to laugh at your expense... but the $18 thing was pretty damn funny!

Laugh away! It’s funny as hell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibbs View Post
Having been a sales guy, and still being in the automotive industry.... Only making $18 on the car isn't unheard of. End of month.... we've LOST money trying to make a sale on one or two more cars. Most employee sales we lose money. That's looking at the small picture.
The rebates from the mfr are where the real money is made in new cars. Sure, you'll sell a "mini" on the car itself, but that sale just bumped the dealership up in the bracket in sales. That's a bigger (usually at least a few thousand) pat-on-the-back from Chev/Ford/BMW/Hyundai... whatever.

As far as the "eighteeen! 18!!! eighteen dollars! wow!" thing is concerned.... we get people in here buying cars that would get a visible erection at making sure we "only made $18" selling them a car. It's all about making people happy. Some love the super happy bullcrap of constantly reassuring them they're making the right choice.... It's all about appeasing the masses. You'll never truly offend someone by treating them "too nice," but if Jane Happycrap would meet a salesperson that YOU'D prefer to talk to, she'd probably walk out, thinking the salesperson was rude AF.
That’s Interesting. Treating people overly nice must be the default mode. For those of us wanting to buy car the same way we’re buying a dining room table, I reckon it just comes off kinda silly.
SquawkVFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 06:04 PM   #12
1LEJNG

Drives: Red Hot 2014 1LE
Salesman

I've experienced the same thing. Some salesman don't recognize a qualified buyer right in front of them. I have left for another dealership when this BS goes on too long.
1LEJNG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 04:42 PM   #13
Frank237

Drives: Kubota 2640, 83 BMW R-65, 2017 1 SS
We have an acquaintance who is the sales Mngr at a big Honda Dealership. We bought four Honda's from him since 2006. Super easy, NO BS , WHYY we continue to buy there.

NO typical Salesmen or Finance guy BS. Never a surprise additional fee, etc.

But like he mentions....they couldn't stay in business selling like that! LOL. So sad.
Frank237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 06:53 PM   #14
KenKat

Drives: 2014 2LT RS Summit White
Yup, we only made $18.00* on that sale.

*18.00 before we add back in all kinds of other stuff we get from the manufacturer that you are not supposed to know about

Still, probably a good deal overall.
KenKat is offline   Reply With Quote