Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 05-27-2021, 07:53 AM   #1
Oz SS

Drives: 2013 2SS 1LE
Michelin 285 front 295 rear tyres on track

Thought I’d share my experience on the track last week.

Been reading lots of threads over the years about square set up, ZL1 set up, pos/negs etc....

Running Michelin PS4S 285 front and 295 rear.

I found the car handled very well and turned evenly. Didn’t feel much under or oversteer and quite happy with my choice. Ran 32 psi cold, so possible the higher pressure hides some of the feel. Plus the lower grip Michelin vs Goodyear may hide some feel as well.

Now I probably don’t push the car very hard, and the race guys may disagree, but at 9/10 the car felt great. For the guys like me that don’t go nuts it was fine.

Basically I like the slightly wider rear tyre for appearance..... and the extra mileage on the Michelin’s.

Last edited by Oz SS; 06-02-2021 at 09:40 AM.
Oz SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 09:50 AM   #2
1LEsteiny

Drives: 2015 1le
Had this discussion with another one of my racing buddies about tires. To me a tire that's more expensive and might shave off some time is not worth it in my opinion. I want a good feeling tire that performs well and will last. And if I get a session in the rain I can still go out and have fun. To me a track day is having fun pushing the limits of what you have a becoming a better driver. Give me 4 wheels and a steering wheel and I'll find a way to enjoy myself
1LEsteiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 08:21 PM   #3
Oz SS

Drives: 2013 2SS 1LE
I guess I’m just sharing for the guys like myself that get so deep into all the brilliant info on the forums in relation to our 1LEs at 100%. I read it all. And our cars are magnificent at that stuff.

But I’m simply not that fast, nor willing to chuck my expensive car into a gravel trap.

I was fortunate enough to try the Goodyear’s on my car as it was almost new at purchase. Wow the dry grip is crazy. But the Michelin’s felt great and I had a blast.

Plus without the recaros, my core strength needs some work before going grippy tyres again...
Oz SS is offline   Reply With Quote