Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Old 09-21-2017, 01:46 PM   #799
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

Drives: [COTW 2/09/15] '11 GPI LSA SC Z/LE
Call the 'Exorcist', perform an exorcism ;o)

THEN dub it 'Demon Seed' and build a 'Hell Raiser' with the name 'Christine'.

Looks like the frame is still in decent shape -- Appears to be fab time to me ;o)

Paint it 'Crimson Peak' Red

(How many horror movie titles did I add there ;o)

By then, all 'Bad Vibes' should be gone!

Your welcome ;o)

-Don
hammdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 03:36 PM   #800
CFD

Drives: 2SS/RS L99 BLACK
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammdo View Post
Call the 'Exorcist', perform an exorcism ;o)

THEN dub it 'Demon Seed' and build a 'Hell Raiser' with the name 'Christine'.

Looks like the frame is still in decent shape -- Appears to be fab time to me ;o)

Paint it 'Crimson Peak' Red

(How many horror movie titles did I add there ;o)

By then, all 'Bad Vibes' should be gone!

Your welcome ;o)

-Don
Maybe I should burn it with fire. lol

Been working with my insurance company, what a joke. They gave me a figure for the car that was quite low, they say it's because there's no documentation of the car being fixed from the previous accident. I said there is documentation, YOU PAID THE BODY SHOPS INVOICE. They're supposed to look into it.

Anyhow, my plans are to keep it if at all reasonable. Where as it won't be a daily driver anymore I'm not limited to what I can do to it, still toying with the idea of a full tubular chassis, live axle ,TH400.
CFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 03:45 PM   #801
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

Man, I do despise insurance companies for the games they play, then plead 'dumb'. We're forced to have it, then they do stuff like this. They have your history right in front of them... sheesh... Geico being one of the worst I've personally encountered. Have to sue them if you are not a customer of theirs and you have a valid claim against them... more and more are going that way...

Can't remember who you had

Anyway, Hope to see a rolling chassis 'soon' ;o)

-Don
Old 09-27-2017, 04:08 PM   #802
CFD

Quote:
Man, I do despise insurance companies for the games they play, then plead 'dumb'. We're forced to have it, then they do stuff like this. They have your history right in front of them... sheesh... Geico being one of the worst I've personally encountered. Have to sue them if you are not a customer of theirs and you have a valid claim against them... more and more are going that way...

Can't remember who you had

Anyway, Hope to see a rolling chassis 'soon' ;o)

-Don
They do suck to deal with but it is what it is.

As soon as I straighten out with them I'll be pulling the motor and cutting everything off of the front from firewall forward leaving the frame rails. My shop is under agreement and I should be moving by mid December so until then I will be stripping more than building until I'm set up again. I had somebody that wanted to buy my frame jig and tubing bender, I was tempted to sell it as it takes up a bit of room. It was a lot of work to build and is heavy but I turned him down. Good thing, I'm going to need them now.
Old 09-27-2017, 04:36 PM   #803
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

Can't wait to see what you do now! 'Phoenix' comes to mind ;o)

-Don
Old 09-27-2017, 04:57 PM   #804
CFD

Believe me I'm dying to get started on it, I won't disappoint. Lol
Old 10-01-2017, 12:25 PM   #805
CFD

I've pretty much decided the car is not going anywhere so I started stripping some of the crashed parts to take a better look. The frame rails are bent but mostly in front of the k-member, not that it matters much because I will be building a tubular frame. It seems that everything from the firewall back is in tact, I'll now better when it is stripped further.

I'm hoping to have it stripped down to a bare shell by the time I close my shop so when I'm set up in the new one I can start in on the frame.
Attached Images

Old 10-02-2017, 09:05 AM   #806
DeOz

Drives: 2019 ZL1 1LE
Man so sorry about the insurance shenanigans, they never want to play ball fair. I had a crappy situation back in college with my fully built/restored 65' GT K-Code Mustang when it was recovered from being stolen (found out it was used in two police chases haha). They just wanted to nickle and dime me to death on everything. Not sure how these guys sleep at night.

On a positive note looking forward to your new build. Should be sweet!!
DeOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 09:52 AM   #807
TRC-SS
700RWHP-650TQ

Drives: 2011 Forged LS3 Supercharged/Cammed
Insurance companies do suck. My best suggestion is when you finish the rebuilt get a specialty insurance like grundy.

I have all my receipts and forwarded them to them along with pictures when we were going for my quote. Grundy has an agreed value that doesn't depreciate.

My Policy on my car is for $60K if anything were to happen to it. Granted i have much more than that into it but its better than the $25K Commerce insurance said my car value was!!
Old 10-02-2017, 04:00 PM   #808
CFD

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeOz View Post
Man so sorry about the insurance shenanigans, they never want to play ball fair. I had a crappy situation back in college with my fully built/restored 65' GT K-Code Mustang when it was recovered from being stolen (found out it was used in two police chases haha). They just wanted to nickle and dime me to death on everything. Not sure how these guys sleep at night.

On a positive note looking forward to your new build. Should be sweet!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRC-SS View Post
Insurance companies do suck. My best suggestion is when you finish the rebuilt get a specialty insurance like grundy.

I have all my receipts and forwarded them to them along with pictures when we were going for my quote. Grundy has an agreed value that doesn't depreciate.

My Policy on my car is for $60K if anything were to happen to it. Granted i have much more than that into it but its better than the $25K Commerce insurance said my car value was!!
Insurance companies do suck, after the last fight I had and now this one I will be switching companies.

This company wants to settle for 13,000 with no option to buy the car back, or I could drop the claim and do what ever I want with it,they claim it's structurally unsafe. I went to the company and spoke in length with the supervisor and explained to him that I do this for a living and am more than capable to rebuild this car stronger and safer than it was and if a competent adjuster examined the car he would easily see that it is structurally sound.After we were done he agreed to let me buy the car back but didn't have any numbers until tomorrow or the next day but held tight on the value of the car. He also added that if I provide receipts for the motor and custom work the value would go up as well as the buy back price so will end up being a wash.He also said that it will be a salvage title if we come to an agreement. Either way I'm taking a big loss on it. If I walk away with the car and 10,000 I will consider myself lucky if you call that luck, I doubt that will even happen.I don't really care that much about most of the car as much as the motor, I've finally got all the bugs worked out and it's been running flawlessly. Only has about 3,000 miles since the new build. What I want out of it is the motor and cabin, the rest won't be reused, it's not junk by any means but if it happens, the new build will include full chassis, live axle, 4L80E, 15" wheels etc. etc.

I'll have to sit tight and see what happens in the next couple of days.
Old 10-03-2017, 04:55 PM   #809
CFD

Made an agreement with the insurance company. I am keeping the car so I started in on it today, the motor is ready to come out tomorrow. I started cutting away some of the trashed components to make the pull easier and discovered some ugliness I couldn't see with part of the inner fender on. I'm hoping this is the extent of it. I'll know in a couple of days when I strip it down to the firewall.
Attached Images

Old 10-03-2017, 05:01 PM   #810
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

Hopefully, that can be fixed -- pinched pretty good... @ least there is some good stuff still there...

-Don
Old 10-03-2017, 05:08 PM   #811
CFD

Quote:
Hopefully, that can be fixed -- pinched pretty good... @ least there is some good stuff still there...

-Don
It's a pain in the ass but it can be fixed, I'm hoping that's the extent of it. There is a lot of good stuff but most of it wont be used again
Old 10-04-2017, 02:09 PM   #812
CFD

Well this sucks. Gathering info on where to go with the new build and I've decided to wash my hands of it. Mass laws on salvage /reconstruction is quite clear, major components including the frame cannot be removed or altered. I kind of doubt an inspector would not pick up on a tubular frame as well as the many other structural mods that would have to be made. Where as I want the car to be street driven I just don't see it as being possible.

I'll be keeping my motor for my next build but will be selling everything else. I'm going to try to sell it as a whole package rather than parting it out, if I don't sell it fairly quick I will part it out. There are a few items that I will sell individually listed below. Not much I can do, it is what it is.

Timing couldn't be worse with me moving in a month or two.

The items that I will be selling separately are as follows if anyone is interested. I'll list them in the classifieds at some point.

FTI 3600 stall converter

Stock Converter

Well used Doug Thorley tri-y's with 02 sensors and a wide band sensor

Airaid CAI with custom made washer bottle and air scoop.I will sell with it if wanted the mail slot scoop. I also will sell the lower scoops, one was crushed in the crash but can be straightened(I think) or copied. The front frames/grilles are still good.

Stock components such as the stock air box, cat's, exhaust manifolds, converter, engine cover, grill, washer bottle, spare set of door panels, ac compressor, a full set of spare wheels with all season tires. There is more I'll list when I'm done crying and have a chance to go through it.