Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-02-2018, 11:27 PM   #15
BLK141SS

Drives: 2014 1SS M6 NPP
I would recommend having a dash camera too. I have one mounted on a huge Go-Pro suction mount so that it's easily visible to anyone. When people see the camera they know they're being recorded, I've noticed people looking at it and I think it keeps them honest. Also, no matter how heated things get I would not return any salutes or hand gestures. Texas law would call this an escalation and if it did come down to the use of deadly force a jury would take that into consideration. I would suggest to just smile and continue on or simply acknowledge the other driver with a non hostile gesture such as open hands even if you had nothing to do with it. Best to just deescalate or leave the area rather than having to go through the court system. If you had a camera you could have shown the recording to the police. People need to understand that the road doesn't belong to them, no one has the right to project violence towards another motorist because they feel they've been wronged. I would like to see more police patrolling on the roads.
BLK141SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 11:31 PM   #16
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0-120 View Post
Wish I had a video. Although recording it wasn't my first priority at that time, and I had no reason to think about doing anything until he began following me.
That's weird. Wonder if he thought you were someone else.
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 11:32 PM   #17
BLK141SS

Drives: 2014 1SS M6 NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto-Mojo View Post
I beg to differ. That may have been the case 20+ years ago but the world (country) is a very different place now. People DO just do insane things for no apparent reason. Or some abstract reason that only exists in their head. Pretty much daily.
Exactly, I see it all the time as well. I saw on the news a while back that someone jumped out of their car and started beating another motorist through his window for some perceived wrong that was done to him, he was shot by that same driver shortly after. Like I said, people need to seriously think before they act.
BLK141SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 03:10 AM   #18
gringo
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levans85 View Post
You have a cell phone yes? Why not call the cops?
Call the cops? That's a laugh. By the time the cops come, if they even come, the OP will be hurt or dead. In this day and age, you better have something in the car to defend yourself if and when the time comes.
gringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 06:09 AM   #19
jokrz187

Drives: 2015 1SS
i think you did right and would consider you a greater person for what you did. I live in virginia just outside D.C. Let me tell, there is no place (that i have been to) that has more self centered a$$ hats then here. The thing i say to my self every morning when it gets crazy, "these people are seriously putting their lives and others at risk to do what, go to their JOB. Nobody loves their job THAT much". then i laugh and turn up my rock n roll and jam out. i carry 24/7 here and have had just a few issues with people here. i have learned alot of patience being here and i think its because my SS is my DD and i appreciate it more then they do of their own life. Good job OP, but yes look into a road camera. i have one and it saved my butt....
Custom TSP Stage 2 Cam/GPI intake Ported Rod Mod /VARARAM CAI/Mishimoto Catch Can/1 LE front & rear sway bars/ engine cover/fuse box custom painted, strut tower brace, Texas Speed LT, Hi Flo Cats, Magnum Tru-X pipe, NGK Spark Plugs, PCM Spark Plug Wire, Painted Calipers, CF Spoiler w/wicker bill.
jokrz187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 08:02 AM   #20
DonM
Camaro #4

Drives: 2017-Hyper Blue Metallic-2LTmanual
When I was in the Academy many, many moons ago, my self-defense instructor had two rules he drilled into us over and over:

USE YOUR HEAD
and
KEEP YOUR DISTANCE
If you can think your way out and can keep away from trouble, you're golden.

From an LEO's point of view, you did it right. YOU USED YOUR HEAD! Avoid the confrontation. People anymore have no respect for anything and they might be hopped up on some kind of recreational pharmaceuticals.

You got away in a manner that avoided a car chase which would have escalated the danger to everyone exponentially.

I agree with some of the other comments that you should learn the defensive use of a firearm and carry as often as legally possible, this time you were lucky ... IF there is a next time, you may get boxed in and CAN'T escape so easily.

I am armed whenever I leave the house, NOT just because I'm a LEO, but because the nature of some people has become worse than a vicious animal. Hell, as much as I love my car and don't want anything to happen to it, I'm not above using IT as a weapon to defend my life.
Old 06-03-2018, 09:12 AM   #21
JLSuperfly

Drives: 2014 Red Hot LS3
I would have done the same. It is never worth it. Good man!
JLSuperfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 09:32 AM   #22
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
#1 never leave your vehicle, I once was assaulted in a road rage by a jerk who thought he could clean my clock with his friend there as I turned away to walk back to my Chevelle. which yes was built, he hit me as I turned to walk back to my car with brass knuckles, and I turned spit out my tooth and called on god and told him I was going to kill him. I then had to chase him and his friend for many blocks but refused to use my car as a weapon and he slipped away.

My step kids knew of him though and his for sale BMW, he was arrested by cops at 2 AM after supposedly Coon Hunting at his residence and went to jail. He could have got up to 7 years for a measure 11 offense, his driving record of reckless driving and reckless endangerment etc... could not be presented in court...a real WTF.....

SO after shoving his way in front of me and repeatedly tapping his brakes after leaving the mental hospital I worked at then; with no regard I yes did pass him, and stopped on the road leading to my house by a cops house......unfortunately not there and waited for him to pass as he came down my road and he did not and instead pulled behind me....I should have burnt rubber for a block in front of him and went home to grab a weapon....namely my 250 + lb line backer step kids if he pulled up in front...but you don't want to bring trouble home....

Yes he got a year in jail, the stupid jury despite the cops and a plastic surgeons testimony about it with a test done by dropping cannon balls on skulls.....they did not convict him of using a weapon. BTW I have three titanium plates in my face it broke my jaw... The emergency room did not discover it my dentist did a week later when I showed him how crazy my teeth moved..... And I cannot underestimate others ever again, and almost daily if in traffic some micro penis douche bag has to prove his man hood by tailgating me or driving like a mad man around my red Camaro.

BTW I own a gun and will someday get a concealed carry, but I am trained in martial arts very well....and should have never turned my back. I would if needed use my car to kill someone that's trying to kill me If I had too. But working at a max security prison now for the last decade I am more inclined to see people as scum than just crazy...

SO here is my example from Yesterday; I drove from a business going to another down a six lane highway/major road and come to a light and I am in front in the right lane and after it changes I easily get the next lane over far ahead of anyone in the rear view and stop waiting at what is now the four lanes right lane behind ten cars. I did not excessively drive fast either I am built and just that fast. SO rather than being in the left lane to be able to pass I was waiting to eventually turn right about maybe 1/8th of a mile ahead ...when some Douche BAG in a red f-150 pulls up next to me leaving a 9 car gap between him and the stop line after a car.

This complete douche bag takes a minute as I know this jerk is doing something and yes he takes off his traction control and after a minute he does a break lock little burn out next to me which really kind of made me laugh and pissed both.

You see because I drive a fast car that's louder and meaner I attract real POS idiots, tailgaters I do not tolerate and always loose them or will even pull over and god help them if they would ever accost me again I would with my bare hands defend myself if I had too but rather would just stay in the car...… MY wife gets pissed when I shake a tailgater with ease as she just had her knee replaced, and is well touchy...

Anyway stuck behind a Prius sandwiched in a hog line I finally get enough space to squeeze out to the left lane when this jerk in his f-150 is like 1/4 mile down the road and I gun it, with my power and traction control on I am hitting my shift light in first and second constantly making a roar and I never even pay attention to the traction control...it is nice and I never drive without it..and I make a move to chase him down..... Just enough to see his punk ass who was on another cars tail slow down and pull into the right lane and he surely could see me and mostly hear me coming...…

After passing ten cars in about 1 second I just pull onto the off ramp to my turn and sent a message to a jerk down the road.....you punk. I am not intimidated but rather amused and pissed. I do not do that to people and don't expect it but it happens with the amount of boys with small sacks out there and micro penises...

We don't have to be the outlet for someone else's road rage when most likely its a abusive POS who wears skin and deserves some bad Karma big time and they are such a messed up POS there issue is not you but their whole life..... Avoid them, that's what I do, but I do believe in occasionally sending a message and that can happen very easily with the power to the ground.

Tires are expensive, I don't waste burning rubber when without even trying I go through rears fast enough. I will embarrass fools with my speed and sound and have been known to loose people with speed though its dangerous and I do not want to endanger anyone even when others are endangering me.

Most of all My ego is not giant, I am humble and know there will always be a faster car, better car, newer model, but mines fast enough, and it attracts human waste. Just as in its attracting admirers often it attracts douche bags on the road trying to prove just how stupid they are and impress themselves. As I am sure everyone who saw this douche bag in the f-150 thought …...what a douche bag. SO I stoked it up to get to my turn but I stayed in the limit which turned to 55, but I sure this POS heard me coming for him and saw it in his rear view, but frankly WTF am I going to do drive like a mad man to line up by him and prove what...… I can be a bigger douche bag. I know I am faster, NUF SAID. And that's just driving somewhere with a faster car not doing anything but being faster by far off the line...……. for the 1900 other examples...well I am sure other members can contribute, I have been driving hot rods for about oh 4 decades...…+ And I am a disabled infantry veteran with the plates.....I have no issue with taking out human waste.

But yes do not underestimate the stupidity of others, they are not in prison for being smart, or having self control.
Old 06-03-2018, 09:47 AM   #23
TheFlyingBananaSS
Evil Genius of Chevrolet

Drives: 2017 Z06, 2019 XTS, 2013 SS
Let's just say within both of my cars are means to defend myself..............
GPI SS2 VVT cam, ECS Novi 1500 supercharger, Corsa Extreme, Detroit Speed and BMR suspension, Circle D triple disc, Melling oil pump, LS2 chain tensioner, ATI 10% UD, DSX E85 kit, High Energy coils, BTR springs, LS2 Lifter trays, Titanium retainers, hardened push rods, FIC 1000 injectors, ZL1 pump, Mighty Mouse catch can, AEM gauges, Tial BOV, Richmond 3.91 gears, Custom gauge bezels, Speed Engineering headers, Stainless Works HF cats, DSX Aux pump, 710rwhp on E85.
TheFlyingBananaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 09:57 AM   #24
00 Z/28

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS
1. Dash cam
2. Drive to a police station or firehouse
Old 06-03-2018, 10:27 AM   #25
SquawkVFR
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro
0-120? May rely heavily on my Valentine 1? You’re crazy as hell if you don’t think there’s a part of this story not being omitted.
SquawkVFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 10:29 AM   #26
splashlog48

Drives: 2011 Green SS M6
Watch out— You Know he’s gonna be on the lookout for You !!!!
Edelbrock EForce Blower, RDP custom grind cam with upgrades,Stainless Power Headers with HighFlow Cats, Stainless Power Retro catback, DSS halfshafts, CAI brand CAI, Tuned ON the Dyno by Steve at RDP. SLP rims,All vinyl stripes removed and painted on, custom hand painted pinstriping, Custom leather seats, Lloyds mats,windows tinted, Sparks emblems, Hurst Billit shifter, and too many small items to list. VDI Scissors doors.
splashlog48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 10:47 AM   #27
qcman

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RDP Tuned L99
Geez up here concealed carry is a hockey stick in the trunk.... I prefer the carbon fiber ones they are lighter and more effective for a quick lance. The old wood ones were good for braining someone but they are less agile in my hands.

Scary situation OP. You did the right thing. My dad always told me a good pair of legs can save your A$$ and get you out of harms way.
qcman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 11:17 AM   #28
KenKat

Drives: 2014 2LT RS Summit White
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00 Z/28 View Post
1. Dash cam
2. Drive to a police station or firehouse
This is my strategy.

The older I get, the more I try to remember to de-escalate and disengage. It’s just not worth getting involved in these incidents.

If you can’t get disengaged, driving to a fire station or police station is a good strategy. Chances are the rager will not follow you in and if they do, there’s a good chance they have some prior offenses on their record. If you are clean record wise, calm and of good financial means, guess who they’re gonna believe...
KenKat is offline   Reply With Quote