Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 06-07-2018, 08:30 AM   #1
BT96SS

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS/SS
Belt squeal after slp pulley install.

I had an slp ud pulley installed over the week end. Used brand new Gates belts. New when I start the car I hear intermittent belt squeal. The belts look tight and in groove. I tried soap and it worked for a short time. My installer said the serpentine belt wasn’t as tight as the factory. Should I try a shorter belt or possible the tensioner be going bad.
BT96SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 12:28 PM   #2
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
Heard of places recommending the wrong belts...mine a Fluidampr I bought for $400 for the balancing had the right length and wrong belt number in directions. I bought and installed it after my tuner on my last engine said the TSP udp looked cheap and I agreed....more like stock which does not help harmonically balance a good cam/engine vibration..so I sold the TSP until I could get better. I have over the years seen stock and SLP UDP both blow apart in pics from users as they share just a rubber vibration isolator bonding the sections and do not really work as in old balancers; we are internally balanced fairly well stock and use a pulley called a balancer. SO you could just have slop..... It could be your gaining 1 HP maybe and could have just stayed stock easier and just need a different belt slightly shorter... Or you could have gone to a balancer that now wants to fall apart just being a pulley..like stock.? Good Luck, hopefully you used a new TTY balancer bolt as one use and they are shot.