Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 07-19-2009, 01:52 AM   #15
SoloSK71

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
So the fact that they used a dyno to show more HP is what? False?

And a 30 day money back guarantee as well?

Anyone personally installed these and had problems?

- SK
- Good money, bad girls. How can life be any better?
- God saves. The devil invests.

- This may be the ultimate guide to problem solving.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyCarlo View Post
it's not a WD-40 problem, so it's got to be a duct tape problem
SoloSK71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 02:27 AM   #16
bobby35ny

Drives: 18 ZL1 A10
I never found anything better than ac/delco plugs in a gm car.

=bobby
Old 07-19-2009, 04:42 AM   #17
Hesh

Drives: 2010 IOM Camaro Vin 34334
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby35ny View Post
I never found anything better than ac/delco plugs in a gm car.

=bobby
Yep and some aftermarket plugs will cause a misfire and throw codes in your GM vehicle. Have seen it several times. guys would come in and have a code for misfire on their GM car/truck after replacing the stockers with aftermarket brands.
Hesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 06:06 AM   #18
duder4thgen

Drives: Bird
When you're running a coil per cylinder you aren't really going to get any better spark than what the car comes with stock. If you are keeping you car stock, stick with the Delco platinums.

The reason so many LSX people run NGK TR55's/TR6's is the fact that they have a larger copper core than a platinum plug. The copper won't last as long as platinum, but at the same time copper dissipates heat better than platinum, and should deliver a more reliable spark. Like CamaroSpike said, you can generally run em 20k-30k miles. Plus, at less than $2 a plug, theyre dirt cheap.

Plus, I don't care what GM says about 100k miles, I would change the stockers out at 50k.
duder4thgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 06:19 AM   #19
hollywoodGU

Drives: 1999 Firebird Formula
necro haha i forgot all about this thread and im the one that started it :O...idk ill try it in my 4 banger first...it will be cheaper that way...if i see improvement i may decied to put it in the moster
hollywoodGU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 03:25 PM   #20
tom692010
Account Suspended

Drives: 4 wheels
I'm switching to sonic sparks www.enginebrain.com. I used them in my Harley's and you could feel the seat of the pants pick up they gave you. I know alot of people are saying stay with what you've got but he'll do the improvements to any spark plug you want. it just so happens he told me without asking that he's using ac delco for the 2010 camaro. I will be getting them late this week or early next week. I'll know right away if it's going to cause issues. Other wise I'm going to track mpg for improvements. I'm not dynoing until I get some other upgrades. PM if your interested in my results. otherwise visit his website.
tom692010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 03:31 PM   #21
spd98

Drives: had a goat
I hate to tell you guy's but as long as there is enough spark to start clean combustion anything else is a waste. The bottom line is that no spark plugs produce power. some say they can "feel" the different but ass dyno's suck and are only comparable to bench racing.
Once combustion is started gas expansion begins and thats what makes power. As long as your spark produces a clean flame anything else is crap. More spark energy does not equal more power.
spd98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 03:45 PM   #22
Missile Man

Drives: 2010 2SS/Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by spd98 View Post
I hate to tell you guy's but as long as there is enough spark to start clean combustion anything else is a waste. The bottom line is that no spark plugs produce power. some say they can "feel" the different but ass dyno's suck and are only comparable to bench racing.
Once combustion is started gas expansion begins and thats what makes power. As long as your spark produces a clean flame anything else is crap. More spark energy does not equal more power.

The AC/Delco will last about 100k miles, the aftermarkets probably won't. I put Splitfires in my 1993 Camaro, took me over 2 hours to install (the 2010 is 100% easier to work on), spent allot of $$$ and no noticeable performance gain. The electrodes wore fairly quickly. Wasn't worth it for me.

Mods:
* CAI Intake
* Magnuson MP2300 TVS Supercharger/RDS Spacer
* Vector Motorsports Tune
* Stainless Power LT/Hi Flow Cats/Tru X-* Pipe/36" J-Pipes/40 Series
* R1 Concepts ceramic pads and slotted/drilled rotors
Missile Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 03:46 PM   #23
14pilot
Original Bumblebee Owner

Drives: 265hp ZX-14, 500hp Silverado, V-ROD
Dyno New Spark Plugs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloSK71 View Post
Again, I hate to bump old posts, but if I can get an extra 6% average hp from a set of spark plugs, for $200 and will be able to confirm this on the dyno, then I shall be ordering a set on Monday.

- SK
Watch out on dyno confirmations on changing to new plugs. I have seen dyno data showing noticable HP increases by just replacing the stock plugs with new stock OE replacements. The HP increase comes from changing plugs and not from anything magical about better plugs.
#5 - 2010 2SS/RS MN6 ABM #142-Silver Rallys-GFX / Med Titanium
My previous Camaros:
#4 - 1994 Z/28 6M Black over Arctic White / Graphite-Red Inserts - traded
#3 - 1981 Z/28 Bright Blue Metallic / Black - sold
#2 - 1970.5 RS Mulsanne Blue / Blue - endo crashed it and parted it out
#1 - 1967 RS Butternut Yellow w/ Black Bumblebee Stripe-RPO D91 / Parchment-Black - sold
14pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 03:48 PM   #24
GEN-IV
Right Cam

Drives: 2010 LS3 / 79 Z28
If a simple plug change would yield more power, don't you think GM would be doing it? It's much simpler than redesigning cylinder heads, cam profiles, etc.
Old 07-21-2009, 04:44 PM   #25
tom692010
Account Suspended

Drives: 4 wheels
go to the website

Quote:
Originally Posted by spd98 View Post
it isn't promoting more spark just a better spark/burn. I know my mpg increases when I use these plugs. some say they can "feel" the different but ass dyno's suck and are only comparable to bench racing. you lost me here?
tom692010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 05:01 PM   #26
Sack Rat 2SS

Drives: Silver SS/RS, Man 6
That is like using Nitrogen in your tires instead of ambient air. Waste of money.
Sack Rat 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 05:01 PM   #27
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14pilot View Post
Watch out on dyno confirmations on changing to new plugs. I have seen dyno data showing noticable HP increases by just replacing the stock plugs with new stock OE replacements. The HP increase comes from changing plugs and not from anything magical about better plugs.
and in most cases, its not a gain of power, its re-gaining LOST power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEN-IV View Post
If a simple plug change would yield more power, don't you think GM would be doing it? It's much simpler than redesigning cylinder heads, cam profiles, etc.
not when it costs $200 bucks for a set of plugs. there are more than enough customers out there that would NOT want to pay $200 more for "better" spark plugs. there will be plenty of buyers of the Camaro who wont change the plugs at all during the life of the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom692010 View Post
it isn't promoting more spark just a better spark/burn. I know my mpg increases when I use these plugs. some say they can "feel" the different but ass dyno's suck and are only comparable to bench racing. you lost me here?
he's basically saying that the people who say they can "feel" an increase of 5-10hp are full of . and I agree with him. "butt dyno" aka going by the seat of your pants isnt an accurate way to gauge a mod. a lot of things have a placebo effect. people think it is doing something whether it is or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sack Rat 2SS View Post
That is like using Nitrogen in your tires instead of ambient air. Waste of money.
depends on the type of tires and what the car is being used for. and if you just happen to have a nitrogen tank in the garage....lol
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 07:22 PM   #28
SoloSK71

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
So is the consensus that any dyno gains are purely from putting in new spark plugs? Regardless of age, driving habit, type, new sparks plugs cause dyno gains?

A new set of NGK spark plugs is over $160 anyway?

- SK
- Good money, bad girls. How can life be any better?
- God saves. The devil invests.

- This may be the ultimate guide to problem solving.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyCarlo View Post
it's not a WD-40 problem, so it's got to be a duct tape problem
SoloSK71 is offline   Reply With Quote