Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 04-01-2013, 10:52 AM   #1
chazysoccer11

Drives: 2011 Chevrolet Camaro SS/RS
Hard Brake/Brake Booster Issue?

Hello All,

I have a 2011 Camaro SS that has several modifications done to it. The most recent mod that I have personally done to it was a cam install about a month ago. It has since been tuned and dyno'd, and no issues have been prevalent.

About a week ago while cruising around, I went to apply the brakes and noticed a "hard" brake pedal and a reduced braking ability. It took me off guard as it was completely random. Since then, I have checked my vacuum lines to make sure one didn't pop off, bled all of my brake lines and replaced it with new fluid, checked for bad pads, etc. The fluid change did not improve anything. The brakes worked fine for about a month after I installed the cam so I don't believe it would have anything to do with vacuum since this issue started well after the install. The car has 22,000 miles on it.

Has anyone experieced an issue such as this and can anyone affirm my belief that the Brake Booster is possibly going bad? I have searched the threads and have not come across anyone who has had a BB issue. Thanks y'all for any insight or help, I'll be bringing her to the dealer tomorrow for input on "warranty" on this part. Although, they may not want to touch it because of the "tune" lol.

Be safe,
J.
Old 04-01-2013, 05:04 PM   #2
2011 SS SLP ZL427

Drives: 2011 SS ZL427
I could be alot of things however Id take it into the Dealer and see what they say being you have alot of modifications done to the engine they might try and pin that on your problem, however theres a possibility being the cam is different the vacumn of the engine has changed and the booster could be having a problem its a long shot but get it looked at sounds like it could be a safety issue...
Old 04-02-2013, 11:32 AM   #3
chazysoccer11

Drives: 2011 Chevrolet Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 SS SLP ZL427 View Post
I could be alot of things however Id take it into the Dealer and see what they say being you have alot of modifications done to the engine they might try and pin that on your problem, however theres a possibility being the cam is different the vacumn of the engine has changed and the booster could be having a problem its a long shot but get it looked at sounds like it could be a safety issue...
Thank you for your reply. They could try and pin the vacuum issue on the cam but the brakes worked fine for about a month before this started happening. I checked my vacuum from the brake booster last night and it seems to be fine. Plus every other guy on this board would be complaining if their booster went out because of the cam, so I have a reason to believe it's not the cam. Thank you for your post though, I appreciate it.
Old 04-10-2013, 03:00 PM   #4
mdmoore

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
I have had thiss issue as well. I have a 2011 Camaro SS and first noticed it in the winter. Thought my brake pads froze as it felt like I was pushing on a rock instead of a brake peddle. Could not stop the car. Did it several times over a month, dealership is baffled. Happened again yesterday morning when leaving for work, not cold at all but again felt like I was stepping on a rock. Took full force to get any reaction at all. Did you find out anything?
mdmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 02:39 PM   #5
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by chazysoccer11 View Post
Hello All,

I have a 2011 Camaro SS that has several modifications done to it. The most recent mod that I have personally done to it was a cam install about a month ago. It has since been tuned and dyno'd, and no issues have been prevalent.

About a week ago while cruising around, I went to apply the brakes and noticed a "hard" brake pedal and a reduced braking ability. It took me off guard as it was completely random. Since then, I have checked my vacuum lines to make sure one didn't pop off, bled all of my brake lines and replaced it with new fluid, checked for bad pads, etc. The fluid change did not improve anything. The brakes worked fine for about a month after I installed the cam so I don't believe it would have anything to do with vacuum since this issue started well after the install. The car has 22,000 miles on it.

Has anyone experieced an issue such as this and can anyone affirm my belief that the Brake Booster is possibly going bad? I have searched the threads and have not come across anyone who has had a BB issue. Thanks y'all for any insight or help, I'll be bringing her to the dealer tomorrow for input on "warranty" on this part. Although, they may not want to touch it because of the "tune" lol.

Be safe,
J.
chazysoccer11,

Any updates on the issue after taking it to the dealer? I understand your point about the brake booster, but modifications and warranty work walk a fine line when it comes to coverage as the bumper-to-bumper warranty does not cover any damage or failure resulting from modification, alteration or suspected tampering, to the vehicle's original equipment as manufactured or assembled by General Motors.

An official and thorough GM diagnosis would find the root of the issue. If you haven't scheduled an appointment, let me know if you'd like me to assist in this case.

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 04-03-2014, 07:07 AM   #6
mikepage0007

Drives: 2010 camaro
same issue, 1 good braking attempt works fine, but if remove foot from brake and hit brake again, the pedal goes rock hard with no power assist ...any updates on this op???
Old 01-29-2016, 12:11 PM   #7
Skyblu

Drives: 2010 Aqua blue 2SS/RS M6
this is happening to mine now, did anyone ever figure it out???
Skyblu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 06:45 AM   #8
mrWizard

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS M6
Same happening to me. I did have a larger cam put in almost a year ago and this issue has started some time in the fall, I believe. Pedal becomes a rock and braking is noticeably worse than it used to be.

Also, I attempted to do a seafoam treatment via the brake booster line, but had ZERO suction. I'm guessing it's a leak somewhere? So far my research hasn't come up with anything concrete, but I'll post if I figure anything out.
mrWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 03:20 PM   #9
mikel441

Drives: 2014 Sonic, 2010 Camaro SS
I'm having the same problem. The brakes were working fine back in May. But, when I took it out for a drive in July I noticed the hard pedal and lack of braking. It sounds like there is a vacuum leak under the hood but, haven't been able to find it and the hissing sound has been there since it was new. I also noticed the vacuum hose from the manifold to the brake booster felt "weak" on one of the elbows and may be collapsing which would restrict vacuum and cause the booster to not work. I ordered a replacement hose but, it hasn't come in yet. Only other thing I can think of is a bad booster as I don't think it's the brakes themselves.

I'll try to report what happens when I replace the hose.
Old 10-03-2016, 01:59 PM   #10
mikel441

Drives: 2014 Sonic, 2010 Camaro SS
I changed the brake booster vacuum hose yesterday and the car does stop now. The pedal still feels kind of hard but, I mash on it and the car stops now. Before the car would have no braking power. And the hissing noise I was hearing is gone.

The end of the hose that was attached to the engine was swollen and felt "wet". The way rubber feels when it gets soaked with oil or gas. It came right off without much fuss. The one on the brake booster was way more snug and took a little effort to get off. I'm thinking the "wet" end was collapsing under vacuum. Thus no power brakes.

I notice the folks on this thread with this problem have modded their cars. Mine is 100% stock and nothing altered. However, it does sit in the garage most of it's life. Don't know if that is helpful or not.

For now I'm going to drive it and see how it does.
Old 04-29-2023, 04:53 AM   #11
2012 Camaro SS

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro SS
Did anyone ever figure this out? I'm having same issue, and just recently did an engine swap (lifter failed caused cam failure damaged aluminum block so I swapped in a rebuilt chevy LQ4 - V8 6.0L iron block - stroked to 408 ci / 6.7L. by ATK Performance -- but put cam in as well, which seems to be a common thread for some having this issue.
2012 Camaro SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2023, 01:40 PM   #12
2012 Camaro SS

I found this info confirming cam is the culprit, and the fix is a vacuum pump:

https://www.opelgt.com/threads/cam-u...ormance.27439/

https://www.streetmusclemag.com/tech...t-vacuum-pump/
Old 04-29-2023, 01:50 PM   #13
2012 Camaro SS

This article on Summt Racing Equipment is also helpful, in explaining the camshaft cause and different solution options (canister/reservoir vs pump):

https://help.summitracing.com/app/an...or-canister%3F
Old 05-01-2023, 10:31 AM   #14
mrWizard

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012 Camaro SS View Post
Did anyone ever figure this out? I'm having same issue, and just recently did an engine swap (lifter failed caused cam failure damaged aluminum block so I swapped in a rebuilt chevy LQ4 - V8 6.0L iron block - stroked to 408 ci / 6.7L. by ATK Performance -- but put cam in as well, which seems to be a common thread for some having this issue.
Yeah I installed a vacuum canister to hold vacuum and it has been working well for the past 6 years
mrWizard is offline   Reply With Quote