Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics > ZL1 Wheels/Tires

Old 05-20-2013, 06:01 PM   #1
Hulkamaniac
Livin' the Dream

Drives: '22 Challenger GT
Have A Question About ZL1 Tires & Storage

Thinking seriously again about getting a ZL1.

However, there's a GM service bulletin on the stock ZL1 tires about cracking under 30º F ambient temperature. I have an unheated garage and winter here regularly hits minus temperatures.

I can score some 18" Heritage rims and tires for cheap.

Will they fit on a ZL1 so I can just store it in the winter? I'd bring the stock tires indoors.

Thanks for your help!!!
Hulkamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 07:34 PM   #2
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Don't know about the 18's, but when I had my 2011 2SS/RS, I bought an aftermarket set of 20" wheels/tires and kept them when I traded it in for the ZL1 Vert.

They fit the ZL1 just fine, and that's exactly what I do for winter. I put the aftermarket wheels/tires on and put the ZL1 tires/wheels in the basement. The ZL1 itself goes into a un-heated 30x10' storage locker.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 07:16 AM   #3
Hulkamaniac
Livin' the Dream

Drives: '22 Challenger GT
I appreciate the help. Hopefully I can find some cheap wheels and tires just for storage.
Hulkamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 08:26 AM   #4
Tyler H
XLR8TNG

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
Your car will be fine in your garage,! The tires can sit in the cold they just can't roll. The dealer found this out the hard way where I am. All of the Cars with these tires sat outside this past winter with no problems. (They were not moved). The sales manager held all the keys so nobody made the mistake. My ZL1 was the only one with issues. It was rolled in sub zero temps to do the PDI and bammo! Cracked sidewalls. The warnings by Goodyear are very accurate. My tires were just replaced not under warranty but the dealership picked up the tab due to their oops of rolling the car in the cold. I even told them beforehand but nobody would listen to me there. (They sure listen now!) at 5 deg they turn into hockey pucks and at minus 7 they are not moveable! Your garage will be just fine to put your car into for the winter without a problem. I have a heated garage and epoxy floors but still put the car on carpet pads for storage. Nobody like cold feet!
Tyler H is offline   Reply With Quote