Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Other Generations > 1st & 2nd Generation Camaros

Old 12-11-2014, 12:02 PM   #1
Wayniez

Drives: 69 Camaro with LSA
Heart of an Zl1 in a 69 SS/RS

Hi I'm building a 69 Camaro SS/RS. Pro-touring project. The body was stripped down to the Aand C pillars the blasted and assembled with new wheat metal. It was supposed to get a world Product's 454 SBC 610 hp/ 575 lbft and a Viper 6 spd, but I changed direction. Now I'm going with an LSA/4L85 connect and cruise crate drive train. I'll be selling the other set up.
If you would like to see my project it's at Leteral-g.net it's project FNQUIK.

http://www.lateral-g.net/forums/show...ghlight=fnquik
Looking forward to learning a lot from you guys.

Last edited by Wayniez; 12-18-2014 at 12:17 AM.
Wayniez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 09:55 PM   #2
Wayniez

Educated Guess

Can some one give me an educated estimate on the power level I should expect with my LSA crate motor going in my Camaro
It will be a stock LSA accept for a V Max ported TB, a cold air kit, with a tune. It will also have a C&R heat exchanger with a Stewart EMP HX pump programmed by Lingenfelter for max flow. I hoping to put a decent sized tank for the Heat exchanger. The Exhaust I have is a set of ARH 1-7/8" long tube headers with a 3" Magnaslow exhaust. The trans is a 4l85 with a stall of 24-2800, going to a Ridetech 4 link with a Chassis Works Fab 9 with 350:1 posi. I'm a new to Ls motors and I'm trying to learn what I can from all your posts.

Thanks for any help you can give.
Wayne

Last edited by Wayniez; 12-25-2014 at 08:05 PM.
Old 01-13-2015, 11:09 PM   #3
Wayniez

I just got my C&R Racing Heat Exchanger yesterday. Its made specifically for a 69 Camaro and bolts right to the radiator support between the radiator and A/C condenser with no mods to the hood latch.
Here's a picture of it.

Drive train should be in some time next week.
69 SS/RS Camaro complete frame off new sheet metal. DSE mini tubs, frame connectors, tubular control arms. Ride Tech 4 link with coil overs and Chassis Works Fab 9. C6 Z51 Corvette brakes. GM crate LSA/4l85 crate drivetrain.
http://www.lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=17217
Old 03-09-2015, 11:27 PM   #4
Wayniez

Finally got a day to get in the garage without getting frost bite of the cahona's
I got the crate off the motor, funny as I was slowly sliding the plastic down from the top of the motor,I thought of this song by Joe Cocker

Phew I need a cigarette !
69 SS/RS Camaro complete frame off new sheet metal. DSE mini tubs, frame connectors, tubular control arms. Ride Tech 4 link with coil overs and Chassis Works Fab 9. C6 Z51 Corvette brakes. GM crate LSA/4l85 crate drivetrain.
Old 03-21-2015, 08:45 PM   #5
CanadianSS
Blue Streak

Drives: 2010 SIM 2SS
I'm so looking forward to this build. Keep updating!
2010 CAMARO 2SS SLP TVS2300 3.4 pulley, 9PSI Custom Tune, ZL1 FP, ADM FPCM, ID 850's, tr7ix plugs, CAI intake, KOOKS 1 7/8 & HFC, Magnaflow Comp catback, Pedders Xa coilovers & sway bars & sub frame bushings Mpd1 Z hood & spoiler, Vertical doors, Hurst short shifter, R1 dimpled/slotted rotors, SS brake lines, Hawk HPS Pads, Niche Apex & Nitto Invo front:20X10-275, rear:20X10.5-315, GM GFX & Satin gas cap, RS projectors, T3 bumper ports, T4 splitter, Alpine INE-W927HD, Metro dash kit
CanadianSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 11:22 PM   #6
Wayniez

I've been getting in a lot of parts for the swap. I'm using this for mt trans because my radiator doesn't have a built in cooler.

I got my VaporWorks controller for my Ricks tank and CTS V fuel pump and plumbed it in.

Here's the controller

And the pump and the fittings to plumb it in.

And the final connection, the corrigated hose is only 5/16" so I had to bring it up to the size of the fitting to make the connection.

and mocked up in the tank

Old 03-31-2015, 12:19 PM   #7
K1SSRSS
Chief Many Camaros

Drives: A paid off Camaro!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayniez View Post
Can some one give me an educated estimate on the power level I should expect with my LSA crate motor going in my Camaro
It will be a stock LSA accept for a V Max ported TB, a cold air kit, with a tune. It will also have a C&R heat exchanger with a Stewart EMP HX pump programmed by Lingenfelter for max flow. I hoping to put a decent sized tank for the Heat exchanger. The Exhaust I have is a set of ARH 1-7/8" long tube headers with a 3" Magnaslow exhaust. The trans is a 4l85 with a stall of 24-2800, going to a Ridetech 4 link with a Chassis Works Fab 9 with 350:1 posi. I'm a new to Ls motors and I'm trying to learn what I can from all your posts.

Thanks for any help you can give.
Wayne
Nice build going, I'm definitely gonna follow, I doing a similar project with a 68 except i'm going M/T and instead of LSA planning on a turbo lsx.

I'd estimate the LSA through an auto and that 9" rear to put 450-480 at the wheels.

504hp/478tq
Performance: Kooks LT, 3'' Exhaust, V-Max TB, Roto-Fab CAI, Custom Ported/Port Matched Heads and Intake
Suspension: BMR Adjustable LCA's, BMR Trailing Arms, Poly Bushings, BMR Toe Rods
Coming Soon (still in the box): Procharger F1R, G-Force Axles, 3:91 gears w/Eaton Truetrac
K1SSRSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 07:03 PM   #8
Wayniez

I was going to put a World products 610 hp 454 SBC and a Viper T56 in it but changed my mind, now I have the motor and trans forsale. To help fund the rest of the build.
Old 04-08-2015, 09:50 PM   #9
11vert w&o

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
That is a crazy build you are doing, I love cars but no way I would have enough patience to see that through. You're a better man than me.
Old 04-28-2015, 02:42 PM   #10
Wayniez

Finally got the motor on the engine stand

I got out in the garage a week ago Last Saturday and I Changed to an old set of valve covers so the LS lift adapter could fit and finally got the engine out of the crate and on the stand. I'm hoping to prep it and paint some clear on it to help make it easier to keep clean. Then I'll put the Auto Kraft oil pan, motor adapter plates and motor mounts on it and see how its looking. (Do I need a new oil pan gasket, its a brand new crate motor)? I'll probably try the headers on it to see if there is enough room to run an Improved Racing oil thermostat off the oil filter area.

Click picture to enlarge.

Old 04-28-2015, 03:21 PM   #11
Todd in Vancouver

Drives: 2014 ZL1
Very nice. The stock LSA is right around 480-500 hp to the wheels so with your mods and a tune you should be right around 550hp. I too am building a Pro-tour '67 Camaro SS but was already to deep into a SBC to back out. I've dyno'd the engine right around 500hp but an very sorry I didn't go LS. It may get swapped out at a later date after the car hits the road. My build link is in my signature., nice project you've got going.

How hard can it be...
Check out my other build http://www.pro-touring.com/threads/9...ject-Obsession

Last edited by Todd in Vancouver; 04-29-2015 at 12:02 AM.
Todd in Vancouver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 08:35 PM   #12
Wayniez

Thanks Todd. One nice thing about the LS there are more around than when I started my project. They were crazy money in 2003 when I bought my car. Now they are getting some what reasonable. I'll have to check it out.
I just went through you build thread Nice work!

Last edited by Wayniez; 04-28-2015 at 08:55 PM.
Old 09-15-2015, 10:13 PM   #13
Wayniez

A little progress

Yesterday I went to my buddy's house and got the engine crane. Took it home and got it assembled and put the Mac's lift plate on the engine. Then the dreaded honey do list reared its ugly head and I was toast for the rest of the day!
But today was a good day! We hooked up the crane to the engine and rolled it over and within 30 minutes it was in! When we tried the first time the bolt on the driver side went right in. I couldn't believe my good luck, then the other side was not even showing the hole in the frame mount. CRAP ! We put the jack under the drivers side and lifted and I saw daylight on the passenger side mount. I worked a screw driver in and the bolt went right in. These plates were an excellent fit. Now if the headers fit with them like they are supposed to we'll be golden.
Here are some pictures.
First the money shot LOL

Room on the drivers side 2-3"s

Tons of room in front of the motor

Looks like plenty of room for the headers on the passenger side.

Plenty of room back here.

I have an Auto Kraft oil pan on here and it has plenty of room with the factory frame mounts and steering. Not touching anywhere. I turned the steering both ways and no problem. I used the backing plates that came with the poly mounts. If I see there is enough room, I might try it without them but if it helps the headers tuck up tight to the floor they will stay. I have plenty of room above the Transmission because I had the tunnel raised just incase the T56 I was going to use was tight
Old 09-18-2015, 11:54 PM   #14
Wayniez

We got the 4l85 in yesterday but the tail of it was drifting towards the drivers side by a couple of inches so today we loosened the frame mounts and had enough slack to get it back to center. Feels good to be getting something done finally.