Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Old 12-09-2010, 09:05 AM   #729
Darth_Emma
Psssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Drives: under contruction
Considering how important the pulley is to how the supercharger works with your motor, isn't it best to get the right pulley to start with? You could order a 3.6" pulley and sell the 3.4 to someone here in the forums who is wanting to upgrade their engine internal to handle the extra boost.

I don't know the cost of a 3.6" pulley, but I have to imagine it's worth it to get the right one to start with.
Darth_Emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 09:30 AM   #730
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedster View Post
The pulley choice is really based on your driving style/preference. 3.4 will push the envelope harder. You have to ask yourself what's cheaper - a pulley or burnt pistons? Not saying that you will burn a piston, just that you may wish to drive it with a 3.8 and stay safe until you get used to it. BTW - Is there a SPECIFIC reason why they will not let you order it with a 3.6 pulley instead of the 3.8 or 3.4? Or at least purchase it as a small upcharge versus a full price hit.
I think the blowers thay have came with the 3.8 or 3.4 none of the kits have a 3.6 so he'd have to order one.

If I remember correctly.

Bruce,

Is there a problem with say going with the 3.4 and keeping the AFR safe like low 11's...

I know it's counter productive but is that still a safe option?
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 10:18 AM   #731
speedster
SST...

Drives: SST Camaro 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTAHVIT View Post
I think the blowers thay have came with the 3.8 or 3.4 none of the kits have a 3.6 so he'd have to order one.

If I remember correctly.

Bruce,

Is there a problem with say going with the 3.4 and keeping the AFR safe like low 11's...

I know it's counter productive but is that still a safe option?
You can run rich to be safe. Keep the A/F in the 11.5 - 11.8 range. Of course doing this will help cool the charge down a little more BUT...that also will lower the hp/tq output which was kinda the reason to go to the smaller pulley, but I think it is a pretty safe tradeoff.

It's a bit of a game - do you stay conservative or do you push it a little knowing there may be more expensive consequences? The chances of failure occurring is pretty remote, but it happens.

Here is a good recent read for Randy of someone who just toasted a piston with 8 psi of boost: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119155

...but they were running 12's for an FI A/F ratio too.

When it comes down to it, it's all in the tune. He needs a good local tuner.

..and if that fails - RACE GAS, METH & Nitrous. Nothing like a nuclear explosion in front of your buddies
Old 12-09-2010, 10:24 AM   #732
Darth_Emma

I told PQ he and Bonnie could come up here to IPS and stay with us while IPS does the install and tunes his car. IPS Brandon will get you that 3.6" pulley and Eric will make your car sing with a nice tune. (pun intended.)

BTW, the damage speedster pointed out is the kind of thing that can happen if you don't have a boost-a-pump and you have too much boost. I got the boost-a-pump just to be safe. Besides, it's fun to say... try it... "boost-a-pump." Atta boy!
Old 12-09-2010, 10:28 AM   #733
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Emma View Post
I told PQ he and Bonnie could come up here to IPS and stay with us while IPS does the install and tunes his car. IPS Brandon will get you that 3.6" pulley and Eric will make your car sing with a nice tune. (pun intended.)

BTW, the damage speedster pointed out is the kind of thing that can happen if you don't have a boost-a-pump and you have too much boost. I got the boost-a-pump just to be safe. Besides, it's fun to say... try it... "boost-a-pump." Atta boy!
The good news is when he tunes it the tuner will know if he's starving it for fuel or not... So with a safe tune it may not be needed. I don't have one and my AFR never gets above 11.8.

but if you have the cash available a "boost a pump"... is a good investment.
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 10:51 AM   #734
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
One question.....

..... How bad do ya wanna beat Chris???

I assume (expect) there will be a grudge race at the fest?
Old 12-09-2010, 11:08 AM   #735
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
The pulley choice is really based on your driving style/preference. 3.4 will push the envelope harder. You have to ask yourself what's cheaper - a pulley or burnt pistons? Not saying that you will burn a piston, just that you may wish to drive it with a 3.8 and stay safe until you get used to it. BTW - Is there a SPECIFIC reason why they will not let you order it with a 3.6 pulley instead of the 3.8 or 3.4? Or at least purchase it as a small upcharge versus a full price hit.
Ya. The kit I'm buying already has a 3.8 and he has a 3.4 and will give me either, but he would have to order, and pay for, a 3.6 and so I'd obviously have to buy it seperate to cover his cost.

Quote:
You can run rich to be safe. Keep the A/F in the 11.5 - 11.8 range. Of course doing this will help cool the charge down a little more BUT...that also will lower the hp/tq output which was kinda the reason to go to the smaller pulley, but I think it is a pretty safe tradeoff.

It's a bit of a game - do you stay conservative or do you push it a little knowing there may be more expensive consequences? The chances of failure occurring is pretty remote, but it happens.

Here is a good recent read for Randy of someone who just toasted a piston with 8 psi of boost: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119155
...but they were running 12's for an FI A/F ratio too.

When it comes down to it, it's all in the tune. He needs a good local tuner.

..and if that fails - RACE GAS, METH & Nitrous. Nothing like a nuclear explosion in front of your buddies
Oh. I can certainly blow some s*** up. lol

But I don't want to have to pay big later for not spending the 120.00 or so now. I was just wondering.

Even if I nannied down the tune with a 3.4, would that would leave the potential for a big problem should the tune get out of adjustment for whatever reason?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Emma View Post

Booostahpuhmp............
Old 12-09-2010, 11:10 AM   #736
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterCamaro69 View Post
One question.....

..... How bad do ya wanna beat Chris???

I assume (expect) there will be a grudge race at the fest?

If I hear "My car is fast" one more time, I'll ................ why I'll............. ok, I'm getting the 3.2
Old 12-09-2010, 12:45 PM   #737
boostedyards86

Drives: Cummins 3500
jesus...3.2 sounds like fun! DOIT
Old 12-09-2010, 02:32 PM   #738
speedster
SST...

Drives: SST Camaro 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
Even if I nannied down the tune with a 3.4, would that would leave the potential for a big problem should the tune get out of adjustment for whatever reason?
It's not the tune you have to worry about. Everyone assumes that gas is all the same. It is NOT. You shoot for 93 octane. Occasionally it may be lower. It may get water/condensation in the tank (both the gas station and your car). Ethanol over 30 days old can cause separation. All kinds of factors. The gas you buy can vary a lot in quality. The tune itself should never really "get out of adjustment" unless a sensor or injector goes bad.
Old 12-09-2010, 05:03 PM   #739
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
It's not the tune you have to worry about. Everyone assumes that gas is all the same. It is NOT. You shoot for 93 octane. Occasionally it may be lower. It may get water/condensation in the tank (both the gas station and your car). Ethanol over 30 days old can cause separation. All kinds of factors. The gas you buy can vary a lot in quality. The tune itself should never really "get out of adjustment" unless a sensor or injector goes bad.
I guess that's what I mean. Pump start to quit, injector, sensor, something physical/mechanical.

It doesn't sound like it would be smart for me to do it. I'd hate to destroy my engine over a simple 150.00 or so.

BUT, if I wanted to do a cam later, which I probably will, would I want to get a 3.4 and nanny it for the meantime anyway? Or would you get the 3.6 or 3.8 for now and buy a 3.4 at the time you do the cam and swap them?

Just brainstorming for now. I think he's gonna send the stuff to me Monday. I'll have him paid and ready to go by then.

I may end up in Houston for the install. I just don't know anyone anywhere close to hear that I feel great about.

Zebra may have found a good place in Pensecola, but we'll see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostedyards86 View Post
jesus...3.2 sounds like fun! DOIT
Let me borrow your car for a few days.......
Old 12-09-2010, 05:30 PM   #740
Darth_Emma

I'm not sure exactly what you mean in your above post, PQ, but the 3.4" pulley will produce more boost than the 3.6" (smaller pulley, more boost). The standard maggie kit for a stock car comes with the 3.8" pulley. You have headers (like I do) which produces more air flow. So, to get the same amount of boost through a motor with headers, Magnuson recommended that I get the 3.6" pulley to produce the same boost as the 3.8" pulley makes in a stock motor.

I am also planning to get a cam. I am not planning to change the 3.6" pulley at that time.

Sincerely,
Little Miss Know it All

PS: I only know a little about this because I just went through the same set of decisions and smart people taught me some good stuff!
Old 12-09-2010, 05:38 PM   #741
Dr Jkel
and MR. HYDE

Drives: 2010 2SS RJT/BLK 6Spd Man
Here in lies my problem with FI. I am afraid of the added power and what it will do to the other parts like tranny, bottom end, rear end etc.. I am thinking of just building mine.
Dr Jkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 05:48 PM   #742
Darth_Emma

I too was afraid of the added power. Now that I have it, I love it and fear no longer... it's addictive. I blame GTAHVIT.

Tags
camaro of the week, the circle