Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-31-2015, 08:42 PM   #1
MBS

Drives: 2010 rs 2lt
Backfired twice today need help.

I have a 2010 LLT , Mods are K&N Cai , BBK Longtubes with High flow cats BBK - X Pipe and 2@side Chambered Mufflers , Had them on for 2 months now and everything was fine , The CEL was on the whole time , But no problems , Now today this morning and after work it has backfired on cold starts only, Is it time to have it tuned now? What is causing this too much gas /running too rich ?
MBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 04:49 PM   #2
Ventmaster

Drives: 2017 1SS 6spd
It would be helpful to check and see what CEL's have been tripped. There may be something more than the expected O2 sensor codes triggered by your headers.

My first thing to check would be the header manifold bolts. They often need retightened after a few miles/heat cycles. A small leak here could result in your backfires.
Ventmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 05:05 PM   #3
spadz93
BUMBL Z

Drives: 2015 ZL1
you should probably get tuned... getting rid of two of the o2 sensors does kinda throw the car off. the car will learn, but only to a point
Current: 2015 ZL1 M6, Rotofab Intake, LS3 throttle body, 2.55 Upper/9.17 Lower w/ Idler Relocation, DMS Reinforced Brick, ID1050X, 1 7/8" Headers, ProSpeed HX/Reservoir, DSX Aux Pump/Flex Fuel Sensor, E85, McLeod RXT, BMR 1" Drop, Tuned by Pat G
Past: 2010 2SS, some bolt ons, 415rwhp/400rwtq

spadz93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 07:49 PM   #4
MBS

Drives: 2010 rs 2lt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ventmaster View Post
It would be helpful to check and see what CEL's have been tripped. There may be something more than the expected O2 sensor codes triggered by your headers.

My first thing to check would be the header manifold bolts. They often need retightened after a few miles/heat cycles. A small leak here could result in your backfires.
Quote:
Originally Posted by spadz93 View Post
you should probably get tuned... getting rid of two of the o2 sensors does kinda throw the car off. the car will learn, but only to a point
I went in a talked to a reputable tune shop here and he actually said that it is normal and with the exhaust I got it is nothing to worry about , It flows so clean that now you can hear it better than when I had the stock exhaust , It had something to do with extra gas in the intake and when it sparks when ignited that can happen , at least that what I think he was referring too, I don't know I am a dumbass when it gets that technical Anyways I will be getting the tune next week and all should be good , Thanks for the replies I appreciate it .
MBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 02:44 PM   #5
Ventmaster

Drives: 2017 1SS 6spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by CreativeDawn View Post
I noticed that my car has a lot more exhaust pops and backfires when I have somewhat of a full tank which I normally never do because somebody told me that the octane levels slowly decrease everyday by a small small margin.
Are you sure you don't just have a heavier foot when you know you got plenty of gas?!
Ventmaster is offline   Reply With Quote