Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 12-06-2018, 09:52 AM   #1
kpeters59

Drives: Black 2012 SS Convertible
Can I just bend my 5th bow brackets back for a temporary fix?

Howdy folks!

Writing my first post from SE Texas.

I've got a 2012 Quadruple Black SS Convertible 6 Speed.

How much longer do you think GM will need to build convertibles before they don't have issue like this? Sheesh...

I've read a bunch of threads about replacing the 5th bow brackets, but am not ready to tackle that immediately. So, my car sits under the carport most of the time and I had to quit washing it. Some jagoff wrote in the dust on the hood, so it's becoming very important.

Is it possible that I could just bend the pos brackets back in to the proper shape so the the seal on the back would work better?

Also, is it possible that the offending brackets could be sufficiently repaired with junkyard replacements? Near as I can tell the entire 5th bow must be purchased for about $200 when only the end brackets need to be obtained? What years would work as replacements? Anything 2013 and after? If I found a later top with the 'upgraded' waterbag, would that drop right in?

I bought the extended warranty when I bought this car just for this and the claim was denied...

Thanks,

-KP
kpeters59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 05:55 PM   #2
theragtopguy
Lifetime Philly Fan

Drives: 2015 Spring Edition 2SS M-6
I did not buy the extended warranty because if you read the print it only covers the pump and such not the components, that is why your claim was denied.
Tune by DynoSteve via SCTx4 Tuner

One of 82 GF Ragtops built in '15 out of 811 Total

[/SIZE]

theragtopguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 05:58 PM   #3
kpeters59

The fine print also says I can cash it out, which I may do...

Anything on the big question?

I asked in another thread: Can I get just the brackets separate from the actual bow?

Thanks,

-KP
Old 12-07-2018, 09:44 AM   #4
GodWentPunk

Drives: 2015 2SS White Convertible CE/INDY
Metal is weird, once its bent, it will loose it properties in the long run so while re-bending back into shape might be a quick fix, the problem will come back even faster.

Sorry to hear that you're experiencing this issue..

joe...
Old 12-07-2018, 05:30 PM   #5
kpeters59

Well, I'm going to fix it. I'll probably end up doing it myself, except an interior shop that the !@#$%^&* Chevy dealer uses quoted me $600. I think I had to supply the parts. Did I see that the brackets were available separately for ~$30 each? That might work well.

But, just so I can run my car through the wash cycle, and drive in the rain if necessary, bending the brackets back would allow the rear seal to work again?

Can I reach them without (much) disassembly?

Thanks,

-KP

Last edited by kpeters59; 12-07-2018 at 06:09 PM.
Old 12-08-2018, 09:01 PM   #6
Bandit63

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
There’s some threads on here to fix the 5th bow pretty cheap.
Old 12-08-2018, 11:29 PM   #7
kpeters59

I know...I saw the "Fix your bent 5th bow for $200ish version 2.0" ( https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=442615 ) thread.

What it doesn't say, and may have changed since it was first posted, is, are the brackets available separately from the Bow Assembly?

This part seems to be one of the brackets:

https://www.wholesalegmpartsonline.c.../22905117.html

Can anybody confirm this? Or are they for sure not the correct parts? Or not really available?

Since it's kind of a busy time of the year, I don't really have time to do this all right now, so I'm still wondering if I can get by for a short while with just bending them back? If I can even reach them...

On another related note, who thinks CarMax did me wrong by selling me this car with this issue not repaired?

-KP
Old 10-14-2019, 10:35 AM   #8
kpeters59

Bump...

I sill need to fix this and still don't know if the Brackets are available separately. And what those part numbrs might be...

Thanks,

-Kyle
Old 10-14-2019, 06:22 PM   #9
sbubbaklein

Drives: early 2011 Camaro convertible
what you want. is item number 2 in the graphic. It is only available with the 5th bow item 1. Just get a new 5th bow and be done with it. It is quite a job and I would have had it done if I had someone who would do it for $600. I did it and it was not easy. Quit messing arround and fix it.

Early 2011 LT Convertible, ZL1 bumper, hood, side skirts, belly pan and wheels, Truecarbon ECF hood extractor, K&N CAI, Elite catch can, Big Worm Bow Tie emblems, Jacfab bracket, Vitesse TC, BMR strut brace, BMR tunnel brace, NPP exhaust
sbubbaklein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 10:07 PM   #10
kpeters59

Well, I wasn't messing around...I was putting it off!

It's not out in the weather, so it wasn't hurting anything.

I very well may have that upholstery shop do it. I do like turn key stuff just fine.

But now, looking at that diagram some more, there seems to only be the 1 bracket? I thought it was a bracket on either end of the bow?

But this photo (from ToddB's very informative post) clearly shows two, so what the heck?

Anyway, I'm going to start working on this soon.

Also, my top stops moving several times going both up and down. It started doing that pretty soon after I started noticing the wet back floor. Is that related?

It has a VERY regular pattern to it. It seems to be able to move for exactly 5 seconds and stops. Going up, I just release and re-press the button and it continues. Going down, I have to briefly press up and then continue down and it goes all the way down after about 5 of those. I assume there's some kind of sensor that's not working, so the controller turns off the motor, or worse, the motor is shutting off most likely due to heat. Anybody with any idea why that's happening? Is it related to the 5th Bow issue?

Thanks,

-Kyle
Old 10-15-2019, 08:40 AM   #11
sbubbaklein

Drives: early 2011 Camaro convertible
the parts graphic should show a bracket on each end of the aluminum 5th bow. It is bolted on and one member of the web site did a post on removing and installing just the bracket after taking them off the new 5th bow.
With the bow bent there is a larger load on the mechanism which is causing the movement concerns.

Early 2011 LT Convertible, ZL1 bumper, hood, side skirts, belly pan and wheels, Truecarbon ECF hood extractor, K&N CAI, Elite catch can, Big Worm Bow Tie emblems, Jacfab bracket, Vitesse TC, BMR strut brace, BMR tunnel brace, NPP exhaust
sbubbaklein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 09:50 AM   #12
samman11

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS Convertible
The dealer fixed mine under the 90 day lemon law, so I never had to reach out to my extended warranty company. I made a pest of myself at the dealer, and they finally took the time to fix it correctly. They knew of the recall and put in a new 5th bow and water management bag. Quite the job from what the tech told me. Initially, some clown at the dealership told me I "must have left my window down while I was washing it." Yep, I'm that much of an idiot that I did that. Sure! Then another clown had the balls to tell me since I keep my car nice and wasn't going to drive it in the winter or the rain, not to worry about it!!!! What an ass! like I may not get caught in the rain, or want to actually wash it without my rear carpet areas getting wet. No way, I put my foot down and they finally fixed it.
samman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 11:03 AM   #13
kpeters59

You're lucky!

I'm gonna have to solve this myself...

-Kyle
Old 10-30-2019, 11:53 PM   #14
2013ZL1FUN

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Convertible A6 BRM
Is there a recall for this convertible issue?