Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 01-26-2020, 04:31 PM   #1
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
Product Review - Meguier’s Hybrid Ceramic Wax

Second use of this product and I think I’m a fan.

Claim: Spray on wet, washed vehicle and rinse. This action distributes the product over all surfaces. Wipe dry and wash is complete.

Does it work? YES

Pros and Cons

PROS- it’s easy enough to use, goes on in a thick covering that does indeed leave a film over the ENTIRE* vehicle. It does seem to leave a very fresh-wax feel. It feels like other pure, ceramic sealant I’ve used on the paint. Nice water bead-up on the next wash/rinse. Removes fairly easily.

CONS- While not negative per se, it does indeed cover the *ENTIRE car with a film that has to be removed. This includes all the black, rubber surfaces but does come off well. Tires and wheels as well. No side effects though.

It really doesn’t save any time because you are still applying a spray. If anything, you end up using more water for the 2nd rinse.

Conclusion: If you are NOT into spending some ‘quality time’ washing and waxing your Camaro, continue doing what you’re doing. If you don’t mind spending a little extra time and savoring a nice ceramic-like wax job, give it a try.
Attached Images

Last edited by Moto-Mojo; 01-26-2020 at 05:21 PM.
Moto-Mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 08:10 PM   #2
witenite

Drives: 2010 2SS non RS
I'm also a fan. Started using this on my wife's car this past summer on every weekly wash. Good stuff! Even today she got some bird crap on her car ( the sitting in the sun hard kind) wiped off so effortlessly. Haven't used it on her car since maybe last fall. Car still beads today like this pic I took in July.
Attached Images

Last edited by witenite; 01-26-2020 at 08:30 PM.
witenite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 08:39 PM   #3
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
It's like $20 a bottle? If so, that is not much more than the Griots I currently use. Can this be used as a touch up spray, like a spray detailer too or is it just for normals waxing jobs?
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 10:45 AM   #4
Moto-Mojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by InFiD3ViL View Post
It's like $20 a bottle? If so, that is not much more than the Griots I currently use. Can this be used as a touch up spray, like a spray detailer too or is it just for normals waxing jobs?
I suspect you could spray in on like any spray wax and wipe it off. But it is thicker than most. Might take a little more effort.
Old 01-27-2020, 02:06 PM   #5
SynergyGreenSS

Drives: 2011 2SS
I’ve found that it streaks a little bit when you just try to wipe it off, but I use this on my cars and it certainly does work. I like it
LSA Supercharger, BTR Stage 3 PDS Cam, Yank 3200SS, Weapon X Stage 2 intake, LSA Heads, Flex Fuel, Ported throttle body, Speed Engineering Headers, NOWEEDS, ZL1 fuel pump, DSX AUX Pump, ID-1050X injectors, 3” pipe to NPP mufflers, 3.91 gears
SynergyGreenSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 09:16 PM   #6
Joe M 2012 2SS

Drives: 2012 2SS
I tried this when it first came out, didn't like it at all, too much residue to remove even when applying very light.

Adams wash/coat is so much easier, and a 64oz bottle is only $26 before discounts. You just wash, rinse, and your done, no residue anywhere, couldn't be easier.

Roto-Fab intake, SW 1 7/8" LT w/hi flow cats, Flowmaster outlaw exhaust, UDP, 160* stat, Circle D 3200, Moroso catch can, TCI line lock, Zex Nitrous 125 shot, 3.91 gear, Eaton True-trac, DSS 1000hp axles.
Joe M 2012 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 09:17 PM   #7
SynergyGreenSS

Drives: 2011 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe M 2012 2SS View Post
I tried this when it first came out, didn't like it at all, too much residue to remove even when applying very light.

Adams wash/coat is so much easier, and a 64oz bottle is only $26 before discounts. You just wash, rinse, and your done, no residue anywhere, couldn't be easier.

I made the mistake at first of trying to spray it then dry it off with the water, but that leaves streaks. You’re supposed to actually spray it on then rinse it off and dry normally
LSA Supercharger, BTR Stage 3 PDS Cam, Yank 3200SS, Weapon X Stage 2 intake, LSA Heads, Flex Fuel, Ported throttle body, Speed Engineering Headers, NOWEEDS, ZL1 fuel pump, DSX AUX Pump, ID-1050X injectors, 3” pipe to NPP mufflers, 3.91 gears
SynergyGreenSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 09:29 PM   #8
Joe M 2012 2SS

Drives: 2012 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SynergyGreenSS View Post
I made the mistake at first of trying to spray it then dry it off with the water, but that leaves streaks. You’re supposed to actually spray it on then rinse it off and dry normally
I washed the car first, with Carpro Reset, which removes all oils and gives SIO2 a great surface to bond to. While the car was still wet after rinsing I applied it, and rinsed.

It reminded me of the original version of Carpro Reload. Left a lot of residue.

If you used Adams Wash/Coat after using this, you wouldn't use this product anymore. 100x easier. I like Megs compounds/polishes/pads, but they aren't up to speed yet with the latest SIO2 products.

Roto-Fab intake, SW 1 7/8" LT w/hi flow cats, Flowmaster outlaw exhaust, UDP, 160* stat, Circle D 3200, Moroso catch can, TCI line lock, Zex Nitrous 125 shot, 3.91 gear, Eaton True-trac, DSS 1000hp axles.
Joe M 2012 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 09:31 PM   #9
StingrayblueSS

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto-Mojo View Post
Second use of this product and I think I’m a fan.

Claim: Spray on wet, washed vehicle and rinse. This action distributes the product over all surfaces. Wipe dry and wash is complete.

Does it work? YES

Pros and Cons

PROS- it’s easy enough to use, goes on in a thick covering that does indeed leave a film over the ENTIRE* vehicle. It does seem to leave a very fresh-wax feel. It feels like other pure, ceramic sealant I’ve used on the paint. Nice water bead-up on the next wash/rinse. Removes fairly easily.

CONS- While not negative per se, it does indeed cover the *ENTIRE car with a film that has to be removed. This includes all the black, rubber surfaces but does come off well. Tires and wheels as well. No side effects though.

It really doesn’t save any time because you are still applying a spray. If anything, you end up using more water for the 2nd rinse.

Conclusion: If you are NOT into spending some ‘quality time’ washing and waxing your Camaro, continue doing what you’re doing. If you don’t mind spending a little extra time and savoring a nice ceramic-like wax job, give it a try.
Nice review, I've been using this stuff for about 6 months and love it. I can detail my entire car, including wheels and windows with this in 1 hour.
12.391 112 MPH 10/05/19
StingrayblueSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 09:43 PM   #10
StingrayblueSS

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SynergyGreenSS View Post
I spay it on a damp microfiber towel then do 1 section at a time rinsing as I go that way it doesn't have a chance to dry. You waste a lot less product this way.
12.391 112 MPH 10/05/19
StingrayblueSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 12:56 PM   #11
JeffZ

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
I washed and clay barred my car first. I then applied it to small sections with a damp applicator. Buffed off. After the initial application, i just hand wash my car and mist on a small amount while it's wet, then rinse off, and dry. It doesn't discolor any of the trim. It's so easy and works great.
Attached Images

JeffZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 12:56 PM   #12
Moto-Mojo

Upon further use and review - way too much extra work! I’m all about quality clean and wax time but not this much. Going back to ‘normal’ spray wax and ceramic boost.