Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Old 01-12-2016, 07:08 PM   #1
ghosted
BCS Auto

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1LS
Ghosted - How to look good in white - 2015 Camaro LS edition.

Thanks for stopping by, bear with me as this will be ever-updating. I've only had the car for about a month and a half now, but I decided to start this journal up to keep track of my progress, and to share everything with the community. Hopefully some of my mods/work will help others with their projects, as I do a lot of troubleshooting and minor custom work.

11/29/2015 - I purchased the car as a Certified Pre-Owned with 17k miles in Phoenix, AZ. Received a 2 year maintenance plan as part of the CPO program, as well as a 1 year plan through that specific dealer. I was actually shopping around for newer 4-door cars such as the Taurus, Camry, etc....and saw showroom pictures of this beautiful Camaro, and just HAD to have it.

My father bought a new 1994 Camaro v6 when I was about 9 years old, and I helped him work on it from time to time. A few years later, his wife totaled it, and I got to help dismantle it as he parted it out. He replaced it with a 1996 Camaro Z28, and still has it in his garage to this day...so you can say I got the Camaro bug from him.

"Why are you dumping so much money into a v6, you could have just bought a v8!" Well, I didn't WANT a v8, or I would have bought one. I wanted this v6 because it is a modern technological marvel in terms of engine technology. I also LOVE a good challenge.

Here's a pic taken the day after I bought her (not my skidmarks):

I've done so much more since that day, and will upload more pics and details when I get home from work!

BCS Auto on Facebook - - - Follow me on Instagram @datv6tho & @officialbcsauto
ghosted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 10:07 PM   #2
blakecoln

Drives: 2011 Synergy Green Camaro RS
Can't wait to see what you have planned!
blakecoln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 04:43 AM   #3
ghosted
BCS Auto

So, I'm terrible about taking pics and notes while I do things to cars, as I get into hyper-focus mode and not even my beautiful wife can peel me away from the project. I don't remember the dates of when I actually installed the parts, but I do have copies of my orders, so I'll just use those for simplicity's sake!

[top]11/30/2015

Ordered 35% tint pre-cut vinyl overlays for my headlights, tail lights and side markers from Amazon.com, and a K&N Typhoon Cold Air Intake from Summit Racing.

Vinyl Overlays: $43.28
K&N Typhoon CAI: $296.99

Thoughts: The Vinyl overlays were 'meh' at best, and even though I've worked with vinyl before, I couldn't get all of the bubbles out even with a squeegee and heat. I ended up scrapping that idea, and I'm going to have a shop properly 'wrap' the lights for me.

The K&N Cold Air Intake made the engine sound decent, but got a bit loud and 'vibration-y' at higher RPMs. It also performed well while moving, but would soak up a LOT of heat while stopped due to the poor design of the heat shielding and lack of proper isolation from the engine bay. I later returned this item to Summit for a full refund, and bought a Cold Air Inductions intake from a C5 user, to be discussed later.

[top]12/04/2015

Ordered replacement speakers from Crutchfield. I went with FOCAL brand, as I read great reviews, and the specs were perfect for me. I also ordered sub-thump front and rear speaker adapters, as I heard they also worked great. I came across an Ambient Lighting Kit on Phastek Performance and decided to order it as well. (Though in retrospect, I could have bought my own supplies for this for less than half the price of Phastek's kit, but you're paying for convenience, I suppose)

Focal Performance R-165S2 (6 3/4" fronts): $169.99
Focal Performance 690C (6x9 rears): $149.99
Speaker adapters: $48.00 + $20.09 shipping (rape!)
Phastek ABL kit: $43.92
Eagle Eye U-Shaped Halo Headlights: $349.95
ANZO LED Tail Lights: $269.95

Thoughts: The door speakers were easy enough, and stealthily setting the tweeters into the factory pod was a breeze. I tried to use sub-thump's speaker adapters for the front, but they were just too big for the door panel to go back on, no matter how much I moved them around, and instead of trimming them, I just went with the included Scosche adapters from Crutchfield. (front speaker how-to can be found here: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=130857 )

The rear deck speakers were a complete pain in the BUTT. You have to remove the inner rocker covers, and basically ALL of the trim from there back, including the back seat and pillar covers. After that was done, it was a breeze. (rear speaker how-to can be found here: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123352 )

The Phastek ABL kit was as easy as a T-Tap in the passenger side dash cover, running the wires/LEDs to the footwells, and using zip-ties to hold the LED strips in place. They're a bit bright for my tastes, so I'm going to either install a DC dimmer later on, or an inline resistor to achieve the desired brightness.

Pic:

Both the headlights and tail lights were fairly straight-forward to install, but both required removed the respective bumper to do. I ended up ordering the Black/Smoked tail lights from Phastek Performance, and they turned out to be the ANZO-advertised Chrome/Smoke, so I later returned them (and paid a 25% restocking fee) for the Black/Clear tail lights, which I'll have a shop apply vinyl to.

Here are some pics:

ANZO/Phastek Comparison:

Headlight install:

Tail light install:

[top]12/07/2015

Ordered a Vitesse Throttle Controller because of all the recommendations here on C5.

Vitesse Throttle Controller: $184.95

Thoughts: I absolutely love my VTC. Though is doesn't "add" any power, it makes the throttle a lot more responsive, and really wakes it up. If you're out of warranty and able to tune your car, there's no need for this, as a tune will essentially allow you to do the same thing without the VTC.

I mounted my controller under the radio, and stored the control module under the radio within the center console.

[top]12/09/2015

Ordered an RX Speedworks Monster Dual-Valve Catch Can. I know this is overkill, but I figured that if my plans come to fruition, I'll be boosted before you know it, and also figured that the extra capacity reservoir couldn't hurt. I also ordered the Clean Side Separator and VMAX Ported Throttle Body from the guys at RX Speedworks.

RX Monster Catch Can & Separator: $389.00
VMAX Ported Throttle Body: $350.00 (with $200 core charge)

Thoughts: The RX Speedworks Catch Can was a breeze to install. The kit came with all of the hoses and fittings needed for the install, but the instructions were strangely generic. With a call to the guys over at RX to verify my routing diagram, I was able to get everything routed properly. A lot of people crack jokes about the catch can, but I've collected a good bit of oil in only 3 weeks of having the catch can installed.

Don't mind the dirty engine bay, it rained recently, and I'll be detailing soon. I'll also have a belly pan installed soon to prevent this mess:

About two ounces of oil/fluid in 3 weeks (don't believe the bottle cap!):

The VMAX Ported Throttle Body was a quick and easy install. Though I didn't notice a HUGE diifference, throttle response seems to have improved, and it does 'feel' like it's breathing a bit better. Keep in mind that VMAX only ports our existing throttle body, and Overkill Motorsports is now offering an 80mm throttle body kit to replace our 72.5mm throttle body, which I'll be purchasing soon.

[top]12/17/2015

Ordered a FOCAL 10" subwoofer from Crutchfield. I originally planned to drop two 12" subs in the trunk, as ever vehicle I've ever owned has gotten this treatment....but I decided to keep it simple, classy and tasteful for once. (not that I'm against BIG BASS, I just figured...maybe next time!)

Focal 25A4 10" subwoofer: $179.99

Thoughts: Looks great, will report on the install and sound in a later post!

[top]12/19/2015

Ordered a cheapo "painted" ABS spoiler from eBay. I figured that for the price, if I had to repaint or fix it up, it would be alright.

eBay spoiler: $84.99

Thoughts: This spoiler looks good and looks like it will fit the car perfectly, and matches the OEM spoiler pretty accurately. However, though the "painted" part was accurate, it looked like they sanded it with a freaking rock before painting it. I cleaned it up a bit, sanded and re-primed it, sanded and primed, then did some wet sanding and painted it again. Got it looking good, but the problem with painting ABS plastic is that it always picks up a static charge. I simply couldn't get my garage sterile enough to paint it, but it's fully prepped so I'm passing it off to a local shop for the final coat.

Well that's all for tonight, I'll get some more pics up later, and then some more of the progress I've made so far! Pardon my formatting, I'm new at this journal thing...

Any suggestions or photo requests, feel free to let me know!

Last edited by ghosted; 01-15-2016 at 05:38 AM.
Old 01-15-2016, 04:44 AM   #4
ghosted
BCS Auto

Reserved for future updates!

Old 01-15-2016, 04:45 AM   #5
ghosted
BCS Auto

Old 01-15-2016, 04:47 AM   #6
ghosted
BCS Auto

Old 01-15-2016, 04:48 AM   #7
ghosted
BCS Auto

Old 01-15-2016, 04:53 AM   #8
ghosted
BCS Auto

Old 01-15-2016, 04:54 AM   #9
ghosted
BCS Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakecoln View Post
Can't wait to see what you have planned!
Hope you don't mind my terrible formatting, or lack of crucial photos from time to time! :P

Old 01-20-2016, 06:39 AM   #10
ghosted
BCS Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by feiyula View Post
Right, lack of crucial photos from time to time
I'm open to requests, haha. Can't see the gif on mobile. Sorry for the lack of updates, I got sent away for a week for work.

Old 01-20-2016, 07:41 AM   #11
Venomous

Drives: 2015 Silver Camaro 1lt RS M6
Looking good so far. How about a photo of that spoiler!!
Old 01-21-2016, 01:28 AM   #12
ghosted
BCS Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomous View Post
Looking good so far. How about a photo of that spoiler!!
I haven't installed it yet, hoping to get the final coat on it soon, and get it installed....however, I may end up waiting for Anvil's new notch spoiler, or the Saleen 620 spoiler...still deciding.

Old 01-21-2016, 09:35 AM   #13
BravoMyles

Drives: Blue/Black 2017 1SS
Love your car! Summit White is gorgeous on these, and we even had the same idea in terms of naming!

You're totally right about the modern v6 too. I drove a 2010 LT before my SS and it shocked people constantly with how quick it was.
BravoMyles is offline   Reply With Quote