Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Past Camaro Fests > 2013 Camaro5 Fest (IV)

Old 07-24-2013, 05:22 AM   #43
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by SparkyDL75 View Post
Any suggestions on where to purchase and what brands are best? Is there any specific fire jacket requirements like the snell helmet ratings?
It needs to be SFI rated. Doesn't look like you need one.
Attached Images

Supercharged SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 01:04 AM   #44
Smkymts

Drives: 2011 Camaro Convertible SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
13.49 or faster the convertible requires a roll cage.
I attended last year and drove in the M6 street tire class drag race in a 2011 convertible with my fastest time of 12.29.

So that means I need not come this year if I don't want to destroy my car with a ugly roll cage? I come to show and race but not this year???
I run every week at a NHRA track (Bristol, Tn. Thunder Valley) and was told I was ok as long as I don't break 10.0!

I'm confused and very saddened if convertibles are black balled. I mean Chevy produced a lot of ZL-1 convertibles that according to this can't race. I think we need clarification and quick before we waste time and $$$ driving to a event we can participate in.

Last edited by Smkymts; 07-26-2013 at 08:52 AM.
Smkymts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 01:14 AM   #45
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smkymts View Post
I attended last year and won the M6 street tire class drag race in a 2011 convertible with a fastest time of 12.29.

So that means I need not come this year if I don't want to destroy my car with a ugly roll cage? I come to show and race but not this year???
I run every week at a NHRA track (Bristol, Tn. Thunder Valley) and was told I was ok as long as I don't break 10.0!

I'm confused and very saddened if convertibles are black balled. I mean Chevy produced a lot if ZL-1 convertibles that according to this can't race. I think we need clarification and quick before we waste time and $$$ driving to a event we can participate in.
You are correct and should have no problems running this year as well as nothing has changed. I was just quoting the "official" rule book.

That M6 street tire class was a good one last year. Wish we could have done that again.
Old 07-25-2013, 04:34 AM   #46
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

Quote:
I attended last year and won the M6 street tire class drag race in a 2011 convertible with a fastest time of 12.29.

I'm confused and very saddened if convertibles are black balled. I mean Chevy produced a lot if ZL-1 convertibles that according to this can't race. I think we need clarification and quick before we waste time and $$$ driving to a event we can participate in.

Convertibles are not blackballed. NHRA makes these rules for YOUR safety. What's going to protect you if you roll your convertible over? Most people that by a ZL1 very to drag race. That track will loose its license letting you run like that. I find it hard to believe they don't care.
Old 07-25-2013, 01:52 PM   #47
Smkymts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercharged SS View Post
Convertibles are not blackballed. NHRA makes these rules for YOUR safety. What's going to protect you if you roll your convertible over? Most people that by a ZL1 very to drag race. That track will loose its license letting you run like that. I find it hard to believe they don't care.
I never said they don't care. I'm not stupid I understand why there are rules. I just want clarification that since the cut off is 13.99, that basically means no convertibles can drag race. Which you seem to support but the posting of MLEE right before yours said nothings changed and convertibles can race. Convertible owners really need one final decision.
And any intelligent racer understands they chances of crashing and death or injury. I am not passing judgement or questioning the reasons but only want to know if convertible owners can race this year at Cfest!
Old 07-25-2013, 05:15 PM   #48
Neumatic

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
Quote:
That M6 street tire class was a good one last year. Wish we could have done that again.
Me too, I was really looking forward to running in the M6 class this year and then I seen the classes.
Neumatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 05:37 PM   #49
Smkymts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neumatic View Post
Me too, I was really looking forward to running in the M6 class this year and then I seen the classes.
I think everyone that ran M6 street class was looking forward to it again and are not happy about its dismissal without talking to members. All races where close and the fastest cars were not guaranteed the win. It took good reaction time, car performance, driver skill with powerful engines and street tires dealing with manual shifting. The most enjoyable race event I have ever attended because everyone had a chance to win, not just the car with the most spent purchasing power adds.

Last edited by Smkymts; 07-26-2013 at 08:57 AM.
Old 07-25-2013, 05:43 PM   #50
Neumatic

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
Quote:
I think everyone that ran M6 street class was looking forward to it again and are not happy about its dismissal with talking to members. All races where close and the fastest cars were not guaranteed the win. It took good reaction time, car performance, driver skill with powerful engines and street tires dealing with manual shifting. The most enjoyable race event I have ever attended because everyone had a chance to win, not just the car with the most spent purchasing power adds.
Yea, I really like watching the M6 class. Wish I would have just ponnied up and raced it last year. I don't see why its not a class, who doesn't enjoy 2 stick cars going head to head? Fast cars are nice but fast stick cars with a good driver can be a work of art.

We still have a week to make it happen though.
Neumatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 05:53 PM   #51
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

Quote:
I never said they don't care. I'm not stupid I understand why there are rules. I just want clarification that since the cut off is 13.99, that basically means no convertibles can drag race. Which you seem to support but the posting of MLEE right before yours said nothings changed and convertibles can race. Convertible owners really need one final decision.
And any intelligent racer understands they chances of crashing and death or injury. I am not passing judgement or questioning the reasons but only want to know if convertible owners can race this year at Cfest!
It's not Mlee's decision. I believe it falls on Jeff Taylor's shoulders. Contact him but its an nhra track and should comply with the nhra rules. Either install a roll bar or some Pom poms.
Old 07-25-2013, 07:54 PM   #52
Smkymts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercharged SS View Post
It's not Mlee's decision. I believe it falls on Jeff Taylor's shoulders. Contact him but its an nhra track and should comply with the nhra rules. Either install a roll bar or some Pom poms.
Post Jeff's contact info and we will. But in the mean time it's great that we have someone looking out for the safety of all us dangerous convertible drivers. I always thought Camaro 5 was about the inclusion of all Camaro enthusiasts. Did someone in a convertible run over your dog?
What is it about our cars that threaten Coupe owners or is just some. Seems like it was one convertible against 15 coupes in last years M6 street tire race and a convertible SS beat out all those Supercharged SS & ZL-1s. And the convertible didn't even post the fastest time.
But your right, making the convertible drivers wear Pom Poms would make it fairer.

Last edited by Smkymts; 07-25-2013 at 09:43 PM.
Old 07-27-2013, 09:14 AM   #53
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
I will ask Jeff Conley and get back. Unfortunately it's the weekend now so it may take a day or two for a reply. Rules have not changed since last year. This is one of those deals if you ask the question you might not want to hear the answer.

Message Sent: We'll see what he says.
Old 07-27-2013, 09:57 AM   #54
Smkymts

Quote:
I will ask Jeff Conley and get back. Unfortunately it's the weekend now so it may take a day or two for a reply. Rules have not changed since last year. This is one of those deals if you ask the question you might not want to hear the answer.

Message Sent: We'll see what he says.
I do not want to see this blown out of proportion but racing at this event to important to convertible owners too. I only asked the question because there are posting all over the forum with different answers. And I don't want to drive ten hours to a event and not race. Doesn't anyone understand that this is not a NHRA sanctioned event. In fact, I thought Camaro5 is basically buying the track for three days. Yes run a safe event, make the cars go through tech inspection. Make driver be safe. But out and out NHRA professional sanctioned event rules is a bit much. Doesn't any body agree?
Old 07-27-2013, 10:39 AM   #55
vroomapunk
[COTW 5/12/14]

Drives: 2012 CRT NF Cammed 2SS/RS For Sale
I don't see where you are making up this Coupe vs Vert animosity/discrimination lol. But I do agree that this isn't an NHRA event and shouldn't be run as if it were. But it's obvious that if you flip your vert, you're dead and they'd rather not have ppl dying.

That being said, we know the risks and the chances of you flipping aren't very likely so I think verts should have the same roll cage rules.
Old 07-27-2013, 11:23 AM   #56
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

This is what I've been told multiple times. Doesn't mean it's right though.

If the track is sanctioned by the NHRA it must meet and follow ALL NHRA rules. Doesn't matter the event. Test and tunes are not NHRA events but you still get teched in and must adhere to the nhra rules. Camaro fest would need to follow nhra rules because they are using an nhra track. Some tracks are ihra sanctioned and have different rules. Take it for what it's worth.

I have no problems with some cars running without adhering to all the rules. It's not going to ruin my day. I'd be pissed too if I drove 1k miles and couldn't go all out.

It falls into the track directors hands and is ultimately his decision.

Lets hope he looks the other way for the guys that need it!!