Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Closed Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 12:58 PM   #1
BlownChevy

Drives: 2015 1SS RS 1LE
Interesting Reading

Here are the results of a test done by Arrington Engines. Arrington is a WELL known engine builder for NASCAR.

Open for POLITE discussion:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemituner View Post
So last Thursday I began my monthly trip to Arrington to work on some projects. When I walked in the door I realized it was going to be interesting for sure. Here is the line up...

A) Our standard 8.8:1 426 with a Magnuson Supercharger on the Engine Dyno

B) A very nice 2010 5.7 VVT with a Magnuson S/C Kit with a little baby cam and some clean up on the heads

C) Our standard 426 loaded with a Kenne Bell S/C and some pulleys.

A) The Magnuson 426 was on our engine dyno all running on factory electronics. Tried a bunch of boost levels and injectors, different throttle bodies ect... The best Pull at 9.5 lbs made 784 Crank HP and just North of that in Flywheel Tq. The engine was very stable and consistent from pull to pull even when leaning on it hard. IAT's were really stable and with a ton of pulls on her the hottest I was able to see was 120 deg.

B) This one was really fun! 2010 Challenger RT 5.7 VVT 6 9.0: 1 comp 6 speed with a baby re-grind cam, just a touch of cleanup on the ports and a Magnuson S/C at 9lbs of boost. I was amazed at how well the throttle transitions felt and how the blower behaved. I expected to see IAT's quite a bit above the engine dyno numbers because of the environment but it really blew me away showing the same numbers after 13 hard pulls and the Part throttle steady state tuning. So what did she make??? On a Conservative tune 535 WHP and 586 Tq. This thing is an absolute riot on the street and you would barely know it was S/C until you whacked it. After a good romp on the chassis dyno and a better romp on the street the IAT's stayed under south with the cold ambient air now working with us. The blower was always cool to the touch, Over all VERY impressed with it and cant wait to stretch it further.

C) The BIG DOG!!!. Our Standard 426 607 cam ph 4 heads with a Kenne Bell. What can you say, everything about this thing is big, big manifold, big intake pipe, big throttle body ect.... Good performance and in True KB fashion making big power. Made a a bunch of low boost pulls then turned the wick up to about 17 lbs. In True KB fashion it laid it down but I had to stop because the 161 Degree IAT's were a little scary for the power level that was WELL NORTH of 700's in Power and 800's in TQ at the wheels. Awesome no doubt and not done yet. Flying down next week to continue tuning and stretching her out. IMO GREAT blower but even at 8lbs moves lots of heat and you cant get near it after a few pulls it will burn your hands. The Ice chest water tank a few guys use is a MUST IMO for this if your going to go round after round at the track.

So why the long winded post??? Well frankly at Arrington we are committed to R&D to make our combos the best out there. We are using the same parts most of you use everyday to get the compatibility, reliability, and performance everyone deserves regardless of its configuration. There will be a You Tube vid of our engine dyno running and the Magnuson 426 making some pulls.

Thanks as always for your support

A.J.
Old 02-26-2010, 06:56 AM   #2
Speed74SS

Drives: 2010 LPE 650+ CTS-V
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlownChevy View Post
Here are the results of a test done by Arrington Engines. Arrington is a WELL known engine builder for NASCAR.

Open for POLITE discussion:
Good Info - not much I can say....go Maggie

2.55 Upper / 8.6 Lower / ID850's / Kooks Longtubes / New Era CAI
Old 03-01-2010, 09:43 AM   #3
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Interesting...

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
Old 03-01-2010, 10:17 AM   #4
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
nice
Old 03-03-2010, 01:34 PM   #5
Adam@ST

Drives: 2010 SS Camaro
re supercharger testing

Although this was posted in the Dodge forum, and AJ isnt here to discuss this, I have pm'd him my number so we can talk about his data. First of all this isnt a battle, nor do I intend to create,start, or defend myself in one.
The data here is entirely skewed.. The testing should have been done on the same combination,same timing tables,air fuel ratio,same octane fuel,etc.Where is this data?? There isnt. On these tests, AJ compares engine dyno numbers to chassis dyno numbers,which once again is a HUGE variable. Then there are 2 different engine combos as well. To get an accurrate test, the same car or engine on the dyno should have been used for both blowers. There are so many variables between the testing, that I wouldnt call it testing.

Thanks Adam
Old 03-03-2010, 01:37 PM   #6
Total_Perf_Eng

Drives: Corvette
Send a message via AIM to Total_Perf_Eng
Agreed Adam..

Not to mention the "Blown Chevy" works for Magnusson. This is nothing more than marketing from the manufacturer.
Old 03-03-2010, 02:03 PM   #7
Adam@ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Total_Perf_Eng View Post
Not to mention the "Blown Chevy" works for Magnusson. This is nothing more than marketing from the manufacturer.

Go figure...

I say lets line them up at the strip and let the cars do the talking. I know the KB powered Camaro will be out front.
Old 03-03-2010, 02:39 PM   #8
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Well - what KB was this one?

Anyhoo - let's keep the comments respectful and let's see some numbers from KB. You guys are talkin' the talk, and I wanna' see you guys walk the walk too

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
Old 03-03-2010, 04:02 PM   #9
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam@ST View Post
Go figure...

I say lets line them up at the strip and let the cars do the talking. I know the KB powered Camaro will be out front.
I think you mean your opinion is that the KB will be our front, your obviously a Fan.

First you cannot compare 2 different size blowers against each other, and I agree what was stated above, that this is an opinion based experience post and no solid data is available, so it is pretty much Pointless.

But Let me say this Equal size Blowers on the same engine will be Very Close, and until this is done properly by and independent shop we may never really get the truth, then if we do, the truth will be valid for that engine combination only.

I don't believe for a minute that 4 different 2300 superchargers are going to be all that different in anything other than packaging.

Ted.
Old 03-03-2010, 04:39 PM   #10
Adam@ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by radz282003 View Post
Well - what KB was this one?

Anyhoo - let's keep the comments respectful and let's see some numbers from KB. You guys are talkin' the talk, and I wanna' see you guys walk the walk too
No Problem.. I always do.
Old 03-03-2010, 04:48 PM   #11
old motorhead

Drives: Maggie blown LS3 vette
Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post
I think you mean your opinion is that the KB will be our front, your obviously a Fan.

First you cannot compare 2 different size blowers against each other, and I agree what was stated above, that this is an opinion based experience post and no solid data is available, so it is pretty much Pointless.

But Let me say this Equal size Blowers on the same engine will be Very Close, and until this is done properly by and independent shop we may never really get the truth, then if we do, the truth will be valid for that engine combination only.

I don't believe for a minute that 4 different 2300 superchargers are going to be all that different in anything other than packaging.

Ted.
Amen.....at street boost levels (5 on the low side to 10 on the high side), it's poinless to try to anoint one p/d or roots type blower as being vastly superior vs the others. You can get different #'s on different days with the same setup on the same dyno. If you believe someone's dyno #'s that is trying to sell you anything.....well just think about it. How easy is it to push dyno #'s one way or the other. Be more concerned with the packaging and the track record of the company standing behind the hardware.
Old 03-03-2010, 05:00 PM   #12
Adam@ST

Opinion?? I MEANT the KB will be out front. Fan?? Yes Im a fan of the superior Kenne Bells ability to outrun all the other PD blowers out there.

Agreed on the different size blowers. No substitute for displacement.

Agreed.. thats why the smaller blowers wont compare. All PD blowers have their place, and for a small 8-10lb boost applictaion,almost every PD blower on the market will be close. Problem is,the other blowers wont go the distance. Its at the higher boost levels,and bigger cubic inch engines, the bigger blower will run away from the pack. Kenne Bell has all the bases covered.Whether you are small boost /stock displacement, or big boost/big displacement, Kenne Bell will support the CFM needed to get the job done. Lets also not forget the rotor designs either. Even on a same blower comparison, the rotor design will come into play as well.

Not true. The 2.3l size is the displacement of the blower, but there are other factors that can make 1 outperform the other. Inlet restrictions, being the biggest.
In the end its going to come down to the user, and combination.
Which blower will work best for their needs. Some people may never want to go above 8-10lb,so the smaller units will work. The people who will eventually upgrade the engine package, and go for more power will want a blower that will grow with them.

Thanks Adam
Old 03-03-2010, 05:03 PM   #13
Adam@ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by old motorhead View Post
Amen.....at street boost levels (5 on the low side to 10 on the high side), it's poinless to try to anoint one p/d or roots type blower as being vastly superior vs the others. You can get different #'s on different days with the same setup on the same dyno. If you believe someone's dyno #'s that is trying to sell you anything.....well just think about it. How easy is it to push dyno #'s one way or the other. Be more concerned with the packaging and the track record of the company standing behind the hardware.

+1....Well said. Thats another reason why we laydown the track times. The MPH/wieght will show the true numbers all day long. No dyno's to elevate the numbers. Thanks Adam
Old 03-03-2010, 05:28 PM   #14
Mike@KB

Drives: 775HP 2005 KBGT

Closed Thread