Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-26-2012, 12:45 AM   #1
Tayap79

Drives: 2013 Victorty Red Camaro 2SS
Winter Storage Help/Advice

Was looking into renting a storage unit for the winter but after looking around at cost and such, I've started to play with the idea of keep my car at my apartment parking lot under a nice cover. That way I can even take it out on nicer days.

Any thoughts on the matter? Should I just get the unit? Would I be fine with it in the my parking lot? What say ye?
Tayap79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 12:55 AM   #2
mikeSS

Drives: 2015 c7
the car can handle it. personally i like the idea of a unit, keeps it far away from snow and salt. not sure how cold/snowy it gets there. but if you keep it, like you said you get to drive it. store takes better care of the car, but keeping it is more fun.
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 01:03 AM   #3
Tayap79

The best I can find for a storage unit near me is about $60-70 a month. May need to store it for 4 months. Pretty pricey. Guy I work with has an uncle that store cars in a warehouse he owns but you would need to leave your keys with him. Not sure how I feel about that.
Old 09-26-2012, 02:29 AM   #4
CWI
Helping Build America

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS,LS3 2013 Duramax 3500HD
Where I am the storage is about $130/mo. I am just going polish, seal and wax mine and cover it for the winter. I can just pull the cover and go for a spin on nice dry days. I have to park it in a grassy area so I am going to put some wood under each tire so it's not setting a long time on the soil, even if it is sandy soil here. I have a maintenance charger to put on the battery maybe.
Old 09-26-2012, 03:13 AM   #5
5cents
Dave

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS - Black/CGM Stripes
Too many things can happen to it just sitting in the parking lot. Guy plowing snow could hit it, someone just driving through could slide into it. I don't know how your apartment complex rules are, but some will consider a car abandoned if it sits in one place all the time.

I don't know what the "warehouse" guy charges, but I would go that route. Leaving him the keys is no big deal, what are you affraid of, that he'll take it for a spin when you're not there?

As far as storage units go, they are nice if they have an electrical outlet that you can plug a battery tender into. I thought about a storage unit, but in my area they ONLY rent by the year. They won't let you lease one for 3 or 4 months.
5cents is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 05:54 AM   #6
RetPig

Drives: 2012 1LT RS, Inferno Orange Vert
I like my Winter Storage option much better. I leave New Jersey and store mine in Naples, FL Until May!!

:flag2::flag2:
RetPig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 06:05 AM   #7
MLL67RSSS
Account Suspended

Drives: car
Some times when people store a vehicle or motorcycle for the winter they will temporarily drop insurance coverage so as not to pay for a car they're not driving. This can be a bad idea if the car is damaged or stolen while in storage. If anyone plans on doing that they should contact their insurance agent about storage insurance to cover you if that's the case. Also may want to make sure you're covered if the car is parked off-site and not on your property as some specialty insurance policies won't cover that.

http://www.carsdirect.com/car-insura...rage-insurance

"If you are storing your vehicle in a self storage facility or storage rental unit, you should ask the staff if they offer insurance coverage on personal belongings kept in the storage units. Many storage unit companies do offer coverage for personal belongings; however, you need to review the policy offering carefully because there may be limits on the amount of damage that may be covered for your vehicle if anything occurs in the storage unit. Also, some storage unit rental insurance policies may offer only limited coverage for automobiles and may not pay out if you don't maintain full coverage on the stored vehicle. Sometimes, the coverage only covers the deductible for your comprehensive and collision policy - so make sure you read the fine print on the storage unit before signing up or paying for the coverage."
MLL67RSSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 07:59 AM   #8
Jameg1011

Drives: 2012 2LT 45th anniversary
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayap79 View Post
The best I can find for a storage unit near me is about $60-70 a month. May need to store it for 4 months. Pretty pricey. Guy I work with has an uncle that store cars in a warehouse he owns but you would need to leave your keys with him. Not sure how I feel about that.

I wouldnt trust that. If something happens you might be hosed
Jameg1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 08:22 AM   #9
WheelmanSS
Logic is dead

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to WheelmanSS
In the past, I stored mine in my carport, uncovered.

This year, I'm just going to store it in my carport with a cover. I had some issues last year when some rodent chewed through a plug wire. I would start the car and let it get up to temp once a week. They must have been attracted to the warmth.

I looked into a storage warehouse. A guy at a car show had extra spaces. Facility had alarms, heating, and sprinklers in case of fire. It was tempting, but I don't know the guy well enough to take the gamble.
- Kooks Stepped Headers, Magnaflow 16580
- Suspension by Pfadt, Hotchkis.

2007 Trailblazer SS- Sold
2001 Trans Am WS6 431 RWHP 408 RWTQ - Sold
1994 Camaro Z28 - Sold
WheelmanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 12:08 PM   #10
United_727
Parts Guru Extraordinair.

Drives: '02 SS 'Vert M6
Look in your local Craigslist under 'storage' . That's how I found mine last year. Parked in a 50-60 degree new-ish warehouse for $400 a season.
Old 09-26-2012, 11:40 PM   #11
Tayap79

Learned that if I go the warehouse I likely won't get my car until April due to how many cars and such he has in there. Not like I can go and pick it up any day. If the winter was like the last, I'm going to want my car WAAYYY before that.
Old 09-27-2012, 03:08 PM   #12
United_727
Parts Guru Extraordinair.

Drives: '02 SS 'Vert M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayap79 View Post
Learned that if I go the warehouse I likely won't get my car until April due to how many cars and such he has in there. Not like I can go and pick it up any day. If the winter was like the last, I'm going to want my car WAAYYY before that.
True,but in NY they salt the $hit out of the roads. I wait til the rain washes the salt off. Mid April is a safe bet.