Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-29-2014, 11:50 AM   #29
Ivan @ Southwest Speed

Drives: '15 Z06, '01 NBM SS, '97 SS
We moved to BTR Springs exclusively last year and not only saw a drop in spring failures, but a consistent improvement in increases across the board for all of our builds.

That and the fact that Brian is somebody who would help anybody with any question leads me to believe that there really aren't many choices aside from his springs now a days.

Just my opinion and we've had tremendous success with BTR.

Good luck in your quest.
Ivan @ Southwest Speed
Ivan @ Southwest Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 01:09 PM   #30
B-_-RAD
Banned

Drives: ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by realcanuk View Post
Wow. This kind of information is what makes these forums so dangerous. Just because you have a product in your car, doesn't make it the best, or even right.
Yes, those spring may last forever, I don't know so can't argue that. It's the valves tips, pushrods, lifters and cam that will have a shorter life.
I don't know how many miles you have on these but let's take a look at 20k. They are overkill and hard on other parts for no reason.
Any good builder or head guy will tell you it's best to use enough spring for the application, but not more pressure than is needed.

My advice to the op Is too talk to Brian Tooley and then make a decision. You will get the proper info whether you buy from him or not. Then you will have the right information from one of the best, rather than bad information from the army of armchair experts.

Whatever you choose, good luck with your mods.
So you are saying that the shop who designed the cam and built the cam package has no clue what springs to use? Yet there are hundreds, if not thousands of these exact setups working perfectly for thousands of miles .....

I better go change my valve springs before a piece of cast metal wears out a strengthened stainless steel valve tip.
B-_-RAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 01:48 PM   #31
Rabamaro

Drives: 2010 ABM SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-_-RAD View Post
So you are saying that the shop who designed the cam and built the cam package has no clue what springs to use? Yet there are hundreds, if not thousands of these exact setups working perfectly for thousands of miles .....

I better go change my valve springs before a piece of cast metal wears out a strengthened stainless steel valve tip.
Thousands of this set up is a bit of a stretch. A few hundred MAYBE. Just seems like there everywhere because it's popular on this forum.
Vararam Tune CAI, Vararam Power Wedge, 160 degree stat, VMax ported throttle body, Ceramic coated ARH 1 7/8" LTs with X-pipe, Borla S-Type Axle back, MGW short throw, 3.91s, Ported stock IM, BTR Stage IV cam, Heritage Grille, Backup camera, UMI Performance trailing arms and toe rods, dyno tune
Rabamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 02:04 PM   #32
realcanuk

Drives: 2007 Corvette C6 983 RWHP
Quote:

I'm saying I have no idea why they would use those springs. They are one out of maybe 10 top LS guys who would choose that. If you are good with that.... Carry on.

If it was me, I would change them.

And your comment about the valve tip confirms how little you know. They can definitely wear.

I have no beef with you. I just hate seeing less knowledgable members get the wrong advice when asking questions, and then reading the disaster threads later on.

Have a great weekend !!
Dewitts / dual spals, A&A dual pump fuel system.
3.42 polished gears, hardened shafts, Alky control meth, Cartech line lock, ECS axle loops, Trans brace, 6L80 built by me.
ID 1000 injectors, comp rockers, Morel lifters, BT springs, Trend 3/8 pushrods, ATI 10% OD Damper
Circle D Triple Disc stall
1009 RWHP @ 7000, 817 RWTQ @ 6000,
realcanuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 02:08 PM   #33
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Quote:

So you're saying that a shop that designed the SPECS for a cam, NOT the springs, knows more than the COMPANY that designs springs for cams? BTW, BT also sells PAC springs, so it's not just them pumping their product.

You do realize that you're the ONLY one in this thread that thinks these springs are the perfect fit for this application. There are two TRUSTED shops in this thread and several others that I know of that say the exact same thing. I guess they are all wrong as well.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 02:13 PM   #34
realcanuk

Drives: 2007 Corvette C6 983 RWHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis View Post
So you're saying that a shop that designed the SPECS for a cam, NOT the springs, knows more than the COMPANY that designs springs for cams? BTW, BT also sells PAC springs, so it's not just them pumping their product.

You do realize that you're the ONLY one in this thread that thinks these springs are the perfect fit for this application. There are two TRUSTED shops in this thread and several others that I know of that say the exact same thing. I guess they are all wrong as well.

Haha. Bingo !!!
The whole problem with these forums is the once someone buys something, they recommend and defend it to the end no matter what. There is really nothing wrong with saying "I have these, but if I was doing it over............"
The goal is to keep learning and make smarter decisions, with the new knowledge.
Dewitts / dual spals, A&A dual pump fuel system.
3.42 polished gears, hardened shafts, Alky control meth, Cartech line lock, ECS axle loops, Trans brace, 6L80 built by me.
ID 1000 injectors, comp rockers, Morel lifters, BT springs, Trend 3/8 pushrods, ATI 10% OD Damper
Circle D Triple Disc stall
1009 RWHP @ 7000, 817 RWTQ @ 6000,
realcanuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 03:51 PM   #35
B-_-RAD
Banned

Quote:

I never said they were "perfect" but they are in the cam kit for a reason.
Old 03-29-2014, 03:52 PM   #36
B-_-RAD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by realcanuk View Post
Haha. Bingo !!!
The whole problem with these forums is the once someone buys something, they recommend and defend it to the end no matter what. There is really nothing wrong with saying "I have these, but if I was doing it over............"
The goal is to keep learning and make smarter decisions, with the new knowledge.
I'm not defending anything, I dont care what anybody thinks about what parts are on my car. Would I use different springs if I installed the cam again? No.
Old 03-29-2014, 03:55 PM   #37
B-_-RAD
Banned

Quote:

Also wanted to point out that i'm obviously NOT the only one that believes these springs will work fine in this application. If I was the only one nobody would be using them, or they would all be getting switched out for something else. I never said anything negative about bt products either.
Old 03-29-2014, 04:04 PM   #38
steven2680

Drives: ss beast
Dammm I need a beer and a shot of patron lol
steven2680 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 04:32 PM   #39
axis
Search Ninja

Quote:
I never said they were "perfect" but they are in the cam kit for a reason.
They are there because that's what Lethal chose to ship with their kit. That doesn't make it the "best" spring for the application. Do a little research about spring applications and come up with your own conclusion. Pretty much every place you read will say to size the springs for the application and to NOT run more spring than you need.

Quote:
I'm not defending anything, I dont care what anybody thinks about what parts are on my car. Would I use different springs if I installed the cam again? No.
Do the research and answer that again.

Quote:
Also wanted to point out that i'm obviously NOT the only one that believes these springs will work fine in this application. If I was the only one nobody would be using them, or they would all be getting switched out for something else. I never said anything negative about bt products either.
So you think everyone running the NFC/1208x combo specifically ordered the 1208X springs? NO, they came with the regular NFC kit. You could get different ones if you clicked the spring option tab. Did you happen to look at the spring options listed in the kit? Manely .660 springs with Ti retainers. Hmm, wonder why they offer a spring that's EXACTLY the same lift as EVERYONE in this thread, besides you, is recommending. Just so happens that the specs of those Manley springs are pretty much identical to the BT .660 lift springs, including the pressures. Now, if those are also on Lethals own site as a pricier option, and if you did your research as suggested above, why would you run a spring that is that much overkill on a delicate valvetrain? Hint, it's not about longevity.
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)

Old 03-29-2014, 04:33 PM   #40
axis
Search Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven2680 View Post
Dammm I need a beer and a shot of patron lol
Call me when you get back from the liquor store. We're gonna need the BIG bottle too.
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)

Old 03-29-2014, 04:40 PM   #41
B-_-RAD
Banned

Oh ok, you sure schooled me.

What cam are you running again?
Old 03-29-2014, 05:25 PM   #42
axis
Search Ninja

One that doesn't have too much spring on it.
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)