Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-02-2018, 06:18 AM   #1
blewbyyou

Drives: Dusk SE
Fuel Recommended

Headed to Bowling Green for CF8 in another week. Since I will be going through a couple tanks of gas could I just run 87 octane on the highway. Also while cruising between 70-80 mph will the AFM on the L99 take over and save me some fuel? Or should I just run 93 as I usually do?
Old 07-02-2018, 06:21 AM   #2
hunter1660

Drives: 2011ss/rs camaro
If your car is tuned for 93 you can't,shouldn't run 87. If not 87 won't hurt it
Old 07-02-2018, 06:34 AM   #3
Royal Tiger
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Convertible
You should be able to find 93 pretty much anywhere on the East Coast. I don’t know why if you normally run 93, you’d even consider running 87. If you used 100 gallons of gas it’ll cost you a whole $30-40 more.
Royal Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 07:13 AM   #4
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Your engine was designed to perform at maximum efficiency using 93 octane gas. I hear 91 works just as well but I have no experience using it. Running 87 octane will result in your ECU adjusting the fuel table and changing the engine timing to protect the engine. You will notice less power and less response and that won't change until you perform a "fuse pull" (there are dozens of thread on how to do it).

Regarding AFM: if you run 87 octane, the AFM will likely not perform as advertised and you may actually end up getting LESS fuel economy. I could never get better mileage with AFM engaged. Plus, all the automatic downshifting and switching between 4 and 8 cylinders drove me nuts... so I got a custom tune that eliminated it entirely.

Summary: IMO, you should ALWAYS run 93 (no less than 91) octane in your V8 and get rid of AFM anyway you can. These cars have 8 cylinders for a reason - use them!
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 07:15 AM   #5
hrpiii
AKA "Beefcake"

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Sharkskin
Quote:
Originally Posted by blewbyyou View Post
Headed to Bowling Green for CF8 in another week. Since I will be going through a couple tanks of gas could I just run 87 octane on the highway. Also while cruising between 70-80 mph will the AFM on the L99 take over and save me some fuel? Or should I just run 93 as I usually do?
even though 87 is cheaper, your car will not run as efficient. Just run the 93, or if you really want to save a couple dollars, 89 or 91 min octane. But I would not run 87.
hrpiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 08:24 AM   #6
Welker2
Ret AF, cancer survivor

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS & 2006 Corvette
From the Owner's Manual:

"If the vehicle has the 6.2L V8 engine
(VIN Code W) or the 6.2L V8 engine
(VIN Code J), use premium
unleaded gasoline with a posted
octane rating of 91 or higher. For
best performance, use premium
unleaded gasoline with a posted
octane rating of 93. You can also
use regular unleaded gasoline rated
at 87 octane or higher, but the
vehicle's acceleration could be
slightly reduced, and a slight audible
knocking noise, commonly referred
to as spark knock, might be heard.
If the octane rating is less than 87, a
heavy knocking noise might be
heard when driving. If this occurs,
use a gasoline rated at 87 octane or
higher as soon as possible.
Otherwise, you could damage the
engine. If heavy knocking is heard
when using gasoline rated at
87 octane or higher, the engine
needs service."

Here in Southern Nevada, you can't get 93, you can only get 91. So to answer your question, I wouldn't use anything less the 91 and I would use 93 whenever I could (as I do when I take long road trips and can find it)
Old 07-02-2018, 08:41 AM   #7
xc_SS/RS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
if its a stock tune/stock car he's fine running 87 in a pinch. this is what the Low Octane table is there for lol just don't beat on the car if you have to run 87

i do agree that to get the most efficiency/power the OP needs to run at least 91 octane with 93 preferred. if the car is tuned for 91/93 stick to that and don't run 87

running 87 vs 93 to save money is not a good idea. buy a honda if you're that concerned with your gas mileage
Z/28 intake, NW, FAST 102, speed engineering LT's, some exhaust, ATI -10% pulley, GM flex fuel injectors, DSX flex fuel sensor, MGW shifter, HP Tuners, some suspension work, stickers and a little weight loss. 12.63 @113.53
xc_SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote