Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 09-11-2012, 10:22 PM   #43
The Roc

Drives: 2010 Camaro!
Question Factory HID Bulb life span on average?

I have a 2010 SS/RS that just had a head light go out. What's the average life span of a factory bulb?
The Roc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:32 PM   #44
pogiskier

Drives: 2011 camaro 2ss black,hurst shifter
My driver side hid bulb went out the other day as well. how do i find out what bulbs are compatible to replace it with. GM wants 295.00 just for a new bulb.
Old 10-02-2012, 01:46 PM   #45
zbt5

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro LT
With this replacement, are you replacing the stock halos or only replacing the bulb behind them? I don't know if I have to buy a whole new pair of halos for my RS, or if I can keep the stock halos and just replace the bulb to get a blue look
zbt5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:25 PM   #46
Tx1Lt
Mark it ZERO!

Drives: '10 Black Camaro
I just had both headlights give out on me. I ordered some morimoto d1s bulbs for $75 from theretrofitsource.com Can't wait to get them in.
Old 05-23-2016, 08:34 PM   #47
Yimetime

Drives: 11 BLK 2SS/RS
Does anyone know how to remove the black locking ring around the HID bulb? No one shows themselves removing the ring on YouTube and the OP's instructions just say push and push but that doesn't help..
Old 05-24-2016, 02:08 AM   #48
GetSmart

Drives: 2013 Black SS
Yah, OP said to push and pulling to one side. There is an opening on one side of the locking ring...push the ring the opposite way of the opening in the ring, and the ring should come out. The ring looks like a "C"...so push the ring towards the back of the "C". When you are putting the ring back on, do the opposite and push the opening of the "C" onto the bulb first.
Rotofab CAI, VMAX PTB, Borla S axle-back, Dynatech SuperMaxx 1 7/8" headers/HF cats, No weeds exhaust diverters, Apex air scoop & catch can, Rohana wheels, MPD1 Z-Force Hood, BTR Stage 3 cam, Vitesse Throttle Controller, etc...
GetSmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 06:00 PM   #49
Yimetime

Drives: 11 BLK 2SS/RS
I actually got it eventually, thanks. The push and pull was just a little vague
Old 03-03-2018, 10:30 AM   #50
Michael Knight

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LT/RS
How on earth do you remove the plug/cord from the actual bulb? Nobody ever shows how to do that lol. Don't want to damage it. Help! Lol.
Michael Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 11:07 AM   #51
bigwormgraphix
Account Suspended

Drives: 1991 Z28, 2015 SS & 2017 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Knight View Post
How on earth do you remove the plug/cord from the actual bulb? Nobody ever shows how to do that lol. Don't want to damage it. Help! Lol.
Squeeze the connector and pull down. It can be stuck on there very well, sometimes need a small screwdriver to loosen. You have to squeeze connector with one hand and gently pry at top of connector with other hand.
bigwormgraphix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 12:41 PM   #52
c-57d

Drives: 14 2SS/RS Triple Black Ragtop LS3
Great thread.
-e
Old 08-12-2019, 10:34 AM   #53
SSNYSTR

Drives: Black 2011 Camaro 2SS
BUMP

Will this fit? From amazon. Says compatible with all D1S HID Xenon systems.

D1S D1R D1C 6000K White OEM HID Headlight Replacement Light Bulb One Pair https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0765NGXC7..._EtyuDbTKC6CRS
SSNYSTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 06:46 AM   #54
cclaxton

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS
Thanks for the great post. My 2013 Camaro had a HID headlight out and I really needed to figure out how to replace this without breaking it.
Thanks
Cody
cclaxton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 07:16 AM   #55
2010SailorsSS
CamaroInProgress

Drives: 2010 black on black SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadPeter View Post
Once you take the black cap off of the headlight assembly you need to put your hand in and grasp the locking ring as shown in the first picture and turn it counter-clockwise. It is very tight and will twist, but you will have to put some muscle into it. If you have a large hand getting someone with a smaller hand would help a lot.

Once the ring is all the way counter-clockwise remove the bulb, but do not touch the lens as the oils in your hand will create hot spots on the bulb and burn it out faster.

Once the bulb is out of the headlight assembly remove the electrical plug on the ballast, that is the square thing the bulb is attached to. I did not remove the ground wire from the battery, but if you feel as you have to for your peace of mind then go for it. I changed the bulbs right after they were on numerous times and nothing happened.

Once the bulb is out you will see the locking ring as shown in pic two.

The ring comes off the base by pushing and then pulling the ring to one side as shown in pic three.

The removed locking is shown in pic four.

Holding the new D1S bulb put the locking ring back on and make sure it is turned to the Open position as it is marked on the ring. Reinsert the plug into the ballast, and again do not touch the bulb put it back into the headlight housing. Make sure the bulb is securely in place by ensuring the plug is facing straight down otherwise the beam will not be straight.

Twist the locking ring clockwise to lock it.

Do the other side. Hook up the negative battery cable if you disconnected it and turn on the headlights to make sure they light up.

If everything is Ok then put the black cap of the headlight assembly back on and congratulate yourself.

Get a beer or other appropriate beverage and enjoy your new lights.
Not quite clear on ID this will fit the 2010 SS model without halos. Yes or no? Or do I need to buy a whole new headlight assembly.
2010SailorsSS is offline   Reply With Quote